Agents of SHIELD S302

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Synopsis:

Dr. Andrew Garner evaluates Gutierrez and deems him not yet ready to join the Secret Warriors, Johnson's potential team of Inhumans. Grant Ward, looking to rebuild Hydra, recruits Werner von Strucker, son of previous leader Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. Tasked with hunting down and killing Ward, Agent Lance Hunter tracks down Garner's ex-wife Agent Melinda May, who has been on leave from S.H.I.E.L.D. for six months. May is convinced not to run from her life despite difficulties in her relationships with Garner and Coulson, and eventually agrees to join Hunter in his mission. Fitz realizes that the Monolith is a portal, and S.H.I.E.L.D. enlists Asgardian Elliot Randolph. Randolph takes them to an old English castle where a now-deteriorated machine was constructed to open the Monolith using vibrations. Johnson is able to replicate this effect with her abilities and Fitz sends a flare through, before entering the portal himself. He finds Simmons and is able to bring her back just as Johnson's power destroys the Monolith.

Another strong episode with some nice tensions. Was really surprised that the Fitz/Simmons subplot finished so quickly - though it was satisfyingly dramatic.

However, am surprised that Hunter is going after Ward by himself, and is allowed to do so - especially when we all know how dangerous Ward is, and how much it's in SHIELD's interests to find him - and in Hunter's interests to work with his SHIELD colleagues and not just May.

The ending was perhaps the least tense for a long time. I thought Garner had his own practice and was contractor for the US military on a secret basis. Would have thought this made a low-paid teaching job difficult to justify. I guess it's something like community college and time he volunteers? Either way, as Garner and Strucker are two characters we are perhaps the least invested in so far, it didn't come across as the big cliff hanger that we're used to.

Still, am looking forward to seeing how all this develops. :)