Altered Carbon (Netflix)

1. Nick B

Nick B author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.

The smoking was in the book not added. Kovacs was pretty unhappy in the book that the sleeve had a bad nicotine addiction.

Feb 11, 2018
  2. duckEwe

duckEwe New Member

now that you both mention that, Takeshi did say in ep 1 or 2, that the sleeve had a nicotine addiction.

Feb 11, 2018
  3. Nick B

Nick B author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.

Here are my (few) gripes about the TV adaptation.
    The biggest, and main one. Envoys were protectorate special forces, not a rebellion group. Kovacs turned rebel later. There is no reason for this backstop change, and it makes little sense. You see the (incredibly expensively trained and modified) Envoys training in the wilderness. This makes no sense.

2- The huge amount of totally gratuitous full frontal nudity. One of my pet hates, as it always seems a cheap sh*t to attract teenagers to watch shows (like got). Countless amounts of breasts and lady bits on show. One male bit once. Hardly balance for equality. As usual for tv/film. And completely unnecessary IMHO. No problem with full frontal nudity if it is a story part, but it almost never is.

3. Quellchrist Falconer was not an Envoy, she was a rebel leader, hugely important in her own right, and it demean that importance by making her a suoersoldier. She was a hero for her intellect and wisdom, not battle prowess.

That's it. Other than those bits, I love the TV adaptation.

Feb 11, 2018
  4. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

-

Feb 11, 2018
  5. The Bluestocking

The Bluestocking Bloody Mary in Blue

Yup - and while Ortega and Kovacs were waiting at the posh cloning facility/vault for the uber-rich, Kovacs told Ortega that smoking isn't his vice but the vice of the sleeve he's in.

Feb 11, 2018
  6. WarriorMouse

WarriorMouse If your really quiet you can hear my battle roar.

There was two instances of male bits on show by my count but still ...
    Totally agree with comment.

Feb 11, 2018
  7. The Bluestocking

Also, you could cut out all the sex scenes and it wouldn't make any difference to the story. Totally gratuitous.

But otherwise, this adaptation rocks!

Feb 12, 2018
    Nick B likes this.
  8. Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

9. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

That link asks:
    I think that it is probably a bigger problem for US audiences than for European. US censors allow far more violence than European censors and for nudity the coin is reversed. I noticed that it had a larger than usual amount of "nipples and butts", but it didn't bother me, and if it was deliberately done to "illustrate the frivolousness of the future’s bodies" and that "the advent of this technology fundamentally and substantially changes people’s relationships with their idea of their own body" then I believe that it worked. Bodies were not depicted as people but simply as meat. I don't get aroused by meat.

Feb 12, 2018
    ctg likes this.
  10. The Bluestocking

I had no problem with the nudity but I still think that two out of the three sex scenes involving Kovacs were not needed whatsoever.

Feb 12, 2018
  11. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Yes, I do have that same criticism though. Where actual sexual relations were shown, then I think more could have been made of the emotional reasons and consequences. With Kovacs and Mrs. Bancroft, in the TV series it seemed unnecessary, but was more important in the book (I think.) With Kovacs and Ortega, he is actually in her former partner's sleeve and you have to ask what is happening in her head, but that went largely unanswered both times.

The nicotine addiction is something else that was better explained in the book.

I like the idea that the book and TV adaption are not the same thing. I wouldn't want them to be the same. However, each must stand up on its own merit. You shouldn't need to have read the book to understand the TV series. It is obvious from many comments, here and elsewhere, that the TV series failed on that level.

Feb 12, 2018
  12. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

In the books all those scenes with Miriam are important. In the televised series Miriam comes out a bit poorly, but a lot of interesting things were written on those, especially the involvement of powerful drugs. Without Miriam dripping in that info - literally - Kovacs would have had harder time understanding what really happened at Bancroft's house. Ultimately Miriam wanted her husband to fail so that she could take the role as true head of the Bancroft dynasty.

Feb 12, 2018
  13. Lumens

Lumens Knows Gravity Well

Watched two episodes so far... Is the dialogue a bit weak? Not bad as such, just a bit tired. Maybe it's a genre thing, or it could just be me.

Otherwise it's not bad.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM
  14. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Altered Carbon author Richard Morgan: 'There’s no limit to my capacity for violence'

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    The Bluestocking likes this.
  15. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Altered Carbon showrunner talks season 2 possibilities

Harlan's world is almost confirmed to be in the next one.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM
  16. Lucien21

Lucien21 Well-Known Member

The new book is called "Thin Air"

Good reads has it as set in the Black Man universe (Thirteen for US readers) Thin Air by Richard K. Morgan

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:47 PM
  17. Cli-Fi

Cli-Fi John J. Falco

I just finished episode 4. I'm hooked.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:33 AM