3000 postage due

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
I don't know if anyone has writ up a scrap planet SS before. Probably. There's been spaceship graveyards and the Bermuda triangle movies and whatnot. This is about half of this, so far, and surely I can think of a better name than Farnswoggle?

Scraplanet

His own planet, that was all he wanted. Even just a sizeable asteroid would do. He fantasized about it often, his own little private orb, somewhere in the depths of space.

All an idle dream of course, until Farnswoggle won the annual Solar Lottery in his home solar system – J57Q-NP57 – and bought a nice little used Deepspace skimmer in which he set off to look for his planet.

There was no uninhabited planet though, not within range of Farnswoggle’s skimmer, and no planets at all available for many light years beyond that, as Farnswoggle had known when he’d spent most of his fortune on a Deepspace skimmer.

But one never knew. It was a beaut of a skimmer, he thought as he skimmed past inhabited planets in nearby solar systems. He seldom landed on planets, preferring to shop at gas spacestations. He was searching for a world that didn’t exist and eventually he had to settle for a scrapyard.

Actually one of a chain of ancient waste-dump asteroids circling a solar system of rocky dustball planets, Farnswoggle’s new home was the oldest in a string of junkyard dump asteroids that had no names, only numbers.

The scrap planetoids had signified the end of the age of metal, virtually all metals. As a child, Farnsworth had read legends of the shining age of metal spacecraft and the many other things long since replaced by superior materials.

It didn’t matter, it only mattered the planet was here, and that the nightmarish landscape of twisted metal that he landed on was largely uninhabited.

There were various small creatures but no humans. The planetoid was overfull to bursting with rusted hulks, though none appeared to have been dumped there for many centuries.

The smell of musty rust pervaded the air but Farnswoggle ignored it as he wandered around on the surface, looking at the heaps and stacks and towers of what were once functioning spacecraft. All of them had a purple coloration that puzzled him until he realized it was a fungus of some kind, seemingly growing everywhere.

He cruised in his skimmer for hours inspecting the landscape and he saw nothing with two legs anywhere. He began to feel much better, much more like a King. The purple fungus reflected his royal hue, and he deemed it possible that this planet could be made liveable, fit for a King despite the musk of the ubiquitous purple growth.

Tens of thousands of ships had been dumped here, ages ago, but now rust-base fungus dominated whole areas of the cities. Cities of crushed spacecraft, towers of them hundreds of ships deep, dumped here by the thousands until there were a million of them and then more. Scattered all around the planet like a metal girdle of bizarre mangled space jewelry.

The ships had all been stripped of power cells, organic matter, expensive gadgetry and anything else deemed salvagable before being dumped here, that was the rule in the early days of this particular solar system, back when the scrapyard planets had become necessary. Yet there were so many stacks and towers of crushed spacecraft, that Farnswoggle explored for days before he gave up and rested. The number of rooms, of ripped apart, crunched-in, oddly-shaped control rooms, lounges, washrooms and gardens, gymansiums, armories - all largely gutted, was mind boggling.

Eventually he discovered a pile of ships that had not been through a crusher machine, for whatever reason, and were merely compacted by the weight of hundreds of other craft stacked on top of them. There were thousands of ships in this condition, and every other condition as it turned out, with one common thread. The purple rust-fungus.

The purple rust-fungus was the reason the scrapyard planets were avoided by sensible entities. Scrappers had returned here many times, Franswoggle has seen pictures of men in modern spacesuits working on the scrap planets, but even that was long ago. The humans had gone and the fungus had flourished.

Notices were posted of course, and automatic messages were sent to any ships approaching the system, warning that the scrap planets were not habitable and were in fact potentially hazardous to land on.

The fungus was oppressive and omniprescent and Farnswoggle knew he was going to have to deal with it somehow. He spent two nights learning everything he could about this particular fungus. How to kill it, what other plants could be used to supplant it, and how to prevent it from spreading.

It was a very tough fungus. There were only two other plants that could oust the deep-rooting fungus, and both were virtually unobtainable. There was one form of bacterium that could slow the fungus’ growth but it was on a prohibited list and Farnswoggle had no idea how to find it.

He walked around studying the fungus, noticing a few things that he hadn’t read about it. It appeared to avoid certain plastic surfaces, and glass, though not always. In some areas it covered everything like a thick blanket. It was on the hulls, in every room of every ship and on the rocks of the landscape. It was not deep, less than an inch usually, but it was fibrous and tough.

After staring at enough purple fungus to last him a lifetime, Farnswoggle went back into his skimmer and emerged with a tool he hoped may make an impact on his surroundings. A flamethrower.

He fired it up and burnt the hull of a ship for about five seconds, with a wide swath of fire. He stepped forward and looked at the now blackened fungus. He scraped at it and it came off easily. Dead. The flamethrower was going to be a viable weapon in his arsenal of cleaning supplies, an essential one in fact, and Farnswoggle smiled grimly as he went back into the skimmer.

The problem would be getting enough fuel for the flamethrower. He would need a huge amount, and also he would need a way to haul away the burnt fungus. And a gas mask, because the fungus burnt with an evil tang, not something a man could stand for long. So, oxygen tanks and a few other items were essential. Farnswoggled sighed as he realized he was going to need professional help. He dialed up the local system’s yellow pages and began looking at listings for demolitions experts.

I can't do a full critique on this because editing using my phone is a totally frustrating exercise, but I just stopped by to say how much I enjoyed reading it. Great little story well told. I'd love to read the rest, given a chance. Nothing wrong with the name Farnswoggle either, but then I come from Yorkshire, where Higginbottom is a common name!

Bit of a run on sentence and typo on salvageable...
The ships had all been stripped of power cells, organic matter, expensive gadgetry and anything else deemed salvagable before being dumped here, that was the rule in the early days of this particular solar system, back when the scrapyard planets had become necessary.

I was really getting into this, but then you lost me around here...
The fungus was oppressive and omniprescent and Farnswoggle knew he was going to have to deal with it somehow.

Why does he have to deal with it? Is it really hazardous and if so, why isn't this guy having immediate problems?
Why remove it...it's all a bunch of worthless junk, right?

I thought you might be going down the road of finding a use for the fungus and becoming crazy rich off an abandoned planet's natural "life form" (using that loosely), but I have no idea where you're going with this now. Started out really well.

Gee I thot it a bit much that anyone could find an abandoned planet in a commercial spaceskimmer. I have no ideer where this is going, yet, cept for the ending... but Fungus is just fungus... or is it? Hmmm...

Hi,

I think this has potential, but it's also got some fairly major issues, I think. Offered in the most supportive spirit:

His own planet, that was all he wanted. Even just a sizeable asteroid would do. He fantasized about it often, his own little private orb, somewhere in the depths of space.

I think you might have started this story too early. The first sentence is fine - reasonably grabby. But I don't believe that his fantasy is limited to just a planet "somewhere in the depths of space" - it's vague.

All an idle dream of course, until Farnswoggle won the annual Solar Lottery in his home solar system – J57Q-NP57 – and bought a nice little used Deepspace skimmer in which he set off to look for his planet.

His home solar system doesn't have a name?

There was no uninhabited planet though, not within range of Farnswoggle’s skimmer, and no planets at all available for many light years beyond that, as Farnswoggle had known when he’d spent most of his fortune on a Deepspace skimmer.
This is the second time you've mentioned he bought a skimmer. You're wasting words. I know this! And this all feels very distant.

But one never knew. It was a beaut of a skimmer, he thought as he skimmed past inhabited planets in nearby solar systems. He seldom landed on planets, preferring to shop at gas spacestations. He was searching for a world that didn’t exist and eventually he had to settle for a scrapyard.

I've seen this a lot - it's one thought in a mass of tell, and it's a thought about how nice his skimmer is (why do I care? I know he bought a skimmer, which skims). It's like showing a map of England and then zooming in to focus for half a second on one leaf, before zooming back out again. I think you should consider deleting everything up to and including this paragraph, and starting from when he's first on his new planet.

Actually one of a chain of ancient waste-dump asteroids circling a solar system of rocky dustball planets, Farnswoggle’s new home was the oldest in a string of junkyard dump asteroids that had no names, only numbers.

Remove all "actually"s from your story. You repeat "dump asteroids". And his home system is only numbers, so why does he care?

The scrap planetoids had signified the end of the age of metal, virtually all metals. As a child, Farnsworth had read legends of the shining age of metal spacecraft and the many other things long since replaced by superior materials.

You need to get closer to the narrative than this. You're still not with your main character. (Also, he's called Farnswoggle)

It didn’t matter, it only mattered the planet was here, and that the nightmarish landscape of twisted metal that he landed on was largely uninhabited.

If it doesn't matter, why did you tell me?

There were various small creatures but no humans. The planetoid was overfull to bursting with rusted hulks, though none appeared to have been dumped there for many centuries.

The smell of musty rust pervaded the air but Farnswoggle ignored it as he wandered around on the surface, looking at the heaps and stacks and towers of what were once functioning spacecraft. All of them had a purple coloration that puzzled him until he realized it was a fungus of some kind, seemingly growing everywhere.

Show me him looking at it. Show me him rubbing it off, wondering what it is. This is too important to be brushed off with a paragraph. Get closer.

He cruised in his skimmer for hours inspecting the landscape and he saw nothing with two legs anywhere. He began to feel much better, much more like a King. The purple fungus reflected his royal hue, and he deemed it possible that this planet could be made liveable, fit for a King despite the musk of the ubiquitous purple growth.
"For hours". You're still too distant, and the fact you've had to use a word like "deemed" is a red flag that the prose isn't quite working.

Tens of thousands of ships had been dumped here, ages ago, but now rust-base fungus dominated whole areas of the cities. Cities of crushed spacecraft, towers of them hundreds of ships deep, dumped here by the thousands until there were a million of them and then more. Scattered all around the planet like a metal girdle of bizarre mangled space jewelry.

Nice analogy at the end, but I don't feel like I'm seeing it.

The ships had all been stripped of power cells, organic matter, expensive gadgetry and anything else deemed salvagable before being dumped here, that was the rule in the early days of this particular solar system, back when the scrapyard planets had become necessary. Yet there were so many stacks and towers of crushed spacecraft, that Farnswoggle explored for days before he gave up and rested. The number of rooms, of ripped apart, crunched-in, oddly-shaped control rooms, lounges, washrooms and gardens, gymansiums, armories - all largely gutted, was mind boggling.

"For days". Still too distant. Show me him inspecting one ship. Tell me it's like the rest.

Eventually he discovered a pile of ships that had not been through a crusher machine, for whatever reason, and were merely compacted by the weight of hundreds of other craft stacked on top of them. There were thousands of ships in this condition, and every other condition as it turned out, with one common thread. The purple rust-fungus.
Get closer. Get closer. Get closer. "eventually". "There were thousands". I can't get any feel for the world, for Farnswoggle, for anything, unless you tell me something in "real time", rather than as a summary of activities.

The purple rust-fungus was the reason the scrapyard planets were avoided by sensible entities. Scrappers had returned here many times, Franswoggle has seen pictures of men in modern spacesuits working on the scrap planets, but even that was long ago. The humans had gone and the fungus had flourished.
How does Farnswoggle know this? Did he know it before, or has he just found out. Show me him finding out.

Notices were posted of course, and automatic messages were sent to any ships approaching the system, warning that the scrap planets were not habitable and were in fact potentially hazardous to land on.

Posted by who? Why am I only finding this now. Why did Farnswoggle not find it before he bought the planet? This feels like it's stopped making sense.
The fungus was oppressive and omniprescent and Farnswoggle knew he was going to have to deal with it somehow. He spent two nights learning everything he could about this particular fungus. How to kill it, what other plants could be used to supplant it, and how to prevent it from spreading.
"Two nights". Another skim across the story. Get closer. Show me real time. Give me more of the character, and less of the summarizing.

It was a very tough fungus. There were only two other plants that could oust the deep-rooting fungus, and both were virtually unobtainable. There was one form of bacterium that could slow the fungus’ growth but it was on a prohibited list and Farnswoggle had no idea how to find it.

Show me.

He walked around studying the fungus, noticing a few things that he hadn’t read about it. It appeared to avoid certain plastic surfaces, and glass, though not always. In some areas it covered everything like a thick blanket. It was on the hulls, in every room of every ship and on the rocks of the landscape. It was not deep, less than an inch usually, but it was fibrous and tough.

After staring at enough purple fungus to last him a lifetime, Farnswoggle went back into his skimmer and emerged with a tool he hoped may make an impact on his surroundings. A flamethrower.

He fired it up and burnt the hull of a ship for about five seconds, with a wide swath of fire. He stepped forward and looked at the now blackened fungus. He scraped at it and it came off easily. Dead. The flamethrower was going to be a viable weapon in his arsenal of cleaning supplies, an essential one in fact, and Farnswoggle smiled grimly as he went back into the skimmer.

The problem would be getting enough fuel for the flamethrower. He would need a huge amount, and also he would need a way to haul away the burnt fungus. And a gas mask, because the fungus burnt with an evil tang, not something a man could stand for long. So, oxygen tanks and a few other items were essential. Farnswoggled sighed as he realized he was going to need professional help. He dialed up the local system’s yellow pages and began looking at listings for demolitions experts.

He's going to flame-thrower tens of thousands of ships? This doesn't feel sensible. And what's the fungus doing in the meantime? Is it going to grow back?

I like the jokey tone. I like the idea of a space scrapyard. I love the name "Farnswoggle". But you waste time on things that I don't care about, and then there are bits of plot that don't make sense to me at the end. And consistently, throughout, you're distant from the story, from the characters. You summarize bits that you should be doing a scene break over, and you don't tell me anything in real time.

No, he's going to flamethrower a million ships, the whole planet muahah. And, the bloody fungus can't be alive, conscious, or it turns into The Thing again, and the Galaxy is imperiled yadadda. No, these guys arrive and they start a-burnin' the place down, from there the surprise ending is mebbe 20K away. Purple fungus is not 'interesting' it's just bloody musty growth that keeps people away from a junkdump asteroid. I did think of adding a sentence near the top about the unbreathability of this crud, but it should be fairly obvious? Anyway tx for that detailed crit.

Just wanted to say that I liked it! I think it's well writtren. What was missing for me is some danger, drama, because this piece is only a man figuring out how to clean his new home from the fungus that doesn't even bother him much. What are the stakes? I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, some twist, some danger he hasn't been aware of... The narrative itself was very nice, but in terms of the plot I was beginning to lose interest half way through..

Yeah, JR, none to shabby at all. Thought about the fungus. What if it is a rare type of growth that turns out to be valuable? Farnswoggles Fungus Inc. Has a ring to it. Nicely done, for the most part.

Oh, and congrats on the 3,000. (y)

Tx but, it is a bit pedantic. Because I had this idea, then just started writing it down, with no particular zest. So I chopped at it and tried to add asome character. The trick ending may not be so greaT either, but who knows till ya getxs there. According to R.L. Stine it's - Beginning, middle, twist... but I'm tired of twisting like we did all last summer. Anyway.

His own planet, that was all he had ever wanted. Heck, even just a sizeable asteroid would do. Schmedwick, much of his life spent reading imaginative tales, fantasized about it often - his own little private orb, somewhere, anywhere, in the depths of space.

All an idle dream of course, until the diminutive and dirt-poor Schmedwick won the annual Solar Lottery in his home solar system and immediately bought a genuine Deepspace skimmer, in which he set off into the Galaxy to look for his planet.

Schmedwick, a balding, reclusive and generally shy man of fifty-seven years, suddenly and unexpectedly had his destiny in his hands, and he was off and running without thinking about it much at all. His tiresome and menial job - gone forever. His friends, few that they had been - gone but pleased because he had given them money before he left. His beautiful new skimmer, a genuine Deepspace J48Q model which would probably outlast him by many years - very comfortably outfitted indeed.

He coasted out into interplanetary space and tested out the Heliax drive at full power. It purred like a cat and Schmedwick grinned like one. Freedom from the tedium of his home planet, and a chance to live out his lifelong dream made him feel like decades-younger man. He headed off into the Milky Way, directly away from the main tourist routes.

There was no uninhabited planet waiting for him though, not within range of the skimmer, and no inhabitable planets for many light years beyond that, as he had well known when he'd spent most of his fortune on a genuine Deepspace skimmer.

But one never knew unless one tried, and it was truly a beaut of a skimmer, he thought as he skimmed past inhabited planets in nearby solar systems. Life was good and the little spaceship was the best home Schmedwick had ever had.

After only a few months of exploring he realized that he rarely landed on planets anymore, preferring to shop at gas spacestations then immediately head back to what he thought as the depths of nearby space, which was all he could reach.

Nearby space was fully occupied in all directions as expected, but certain regions of it were not so desirable as others and that's where Schmedwick gravitated naturally. He knew that he was searching for a world that didn't exist and thus he had to settle for what he could find, and that turned out to be a scrapyard.

Actually one of a chain of ancient waste-dump asteroids circling a remote solar system of rocky dustball planets with minimal population, Schmedwick's new home base was the oldest in a string of junkyard dump asteroids that had no names, only numbers.

It didn't matter, it only mattered the planetoid was there, and that the nightmarish landscape of twisted metal that he landed on was largely lifeless.

There were various small creatures but no human beings. The planetoid was overfull to bursting with rusted hulks, though none appeared to have been dumped there for many centuries.

The smell of musty rust pervaded the air but Schmedwick ignored it as he wandered around looking at heaps and stacks and towers of what had once been functioning spacecraft. All of them had a purple coloration that puzzled him until he realized it was a fungus of some kind, seemingly growing everywhere.

He spotted a sign, who's long-faded characters informed him that prolonged exposure to the atmosphere of the planetoid may be hazardous to human respiratory systems. Schmedwick immediately began wearing a facemask and respirator outside the skimmer. No fungus was going to bring him down, not with his own planet in his grasp.

Tens of thousands of ships had been dumped here, ages ago, and now fungus dominated whole areas of the cities. Cities of crushed spacecraft, towers of them, hundreds of ships deep, dumped here by the thousands until there were a million of them and then more. Scattered all around the planet like a metal girdle of bizarre mangled space jewelry.

The ships had all been stripped of power cells, organic matter, expensive gadgetry and anything else deemed salvagable before being dumped, that was the rule in the early days of this particular solar system, back when the scrapyard planets had become necessary. Yet there were so many stacks and towers of crushed spacecraft, that Schmedwick explored for days before he gave up and rested. The number of rooms, of ripped apart control rooms, lounges, washrooms, hydroponic bubbles, medical bays, gymansiums, armories - all largely gutted, was mind boggling.

The purple growth was the reason the scrapyard planets were avoided by sensible entities. Scrappers had returned here many times, Franswoggle has seen pictures of men in modern spacesuits working on the scrap planets, but even that was long ago. The humans had finally gone and the fungus had flourished.

The fungus was oppressive and omniprescent and Schmedwick knew he was going to have to deal with it somehow. He spent two nights learning everything he could about this particular fungus. How to kill it, what other plants could be used to supplant it, and how to prevent it from spreading.

It was a very tough fungus. There were only two other plants that could oust the deep-rooting fungus, and both were virtually unobtainable. There was one form of bacterium that could slow the fungus' growth but it was on a prohibited list and Schmedwick had no idea how to find it.

He walked around studying the fungal carpet, noticing a few things that he hadn't read about. It appeared to avoid certain plastic surfaces, and glass, though not always. In some areas it covered everything like a thick blanket. It was on the hulls, in every room of every ship and on the rocks of the landscape. It was not deep, less than an inch usually, but it was fibrous and tough.

After staring at enough purple fungus to last him a lifetime, Schmedwick went back into his skimmer and emerged with a tool he hoped may make an immediate impact on his surroundings. A flamethrower.

He fired it up and burnt the hull of a ship for about five seconds, with a wide swath of fire. He stepped forward and looked at the now-blackened fungus. He scraped at it and it came off easily. Dead. The flamethrower was going to be a viable weapon in his arsenal of cleaning supplies, an essential one in fact since it would reach areas that the ship's laser could not easily reach, and Schmedwick smiled grimly as he went back into the skimmer to continue thinking.

The problem would be getting enough fuel for the flamethrower. He would need a huge amount, and also he would need a way to haul away the burnt fungus. And a better gas mask, because the fungus burnt with an evil tang, not something a man could stand for long. So, large oxygen tanks and a few other items were essential, just to get started. Schmedwick sighed as he realized he was going to need professional help. He dialed up the local system's yellow pages and began looking at listings for demolitions experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.