What is *the* most famous speech in history?

WaylanderToo

A thought occurred upon reading another forum where it was posited that M L King's "I have a dream" speech is the most famous in history. I have to say that I am not sure that it is, I think it may well be one of the most socially significant speeches - but the most famous?

Surely these are more famous

Adolf H "ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" (or is it because that is only a snippet of a speech that it doesn't count)?
Winnie C "We will fight them on the beaches... we will never surrender"
H the V "Cry 'God for Harry, England, and St George!" (ok not a real speech as such but still...)

any thoughts?

I immediately though of Churchill, followed by Hitler, followed by MLK before clicking and reading your post.

I think being from the UK and over a certain age means you are going to get more exposure to WC and AH because they were taught (World War History) as part of the extended curriculum.

Churchill's speech during the Battle of Britain, with the immortal line, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed, by so many, to so few." It superbly captured the moment when victory seemed possible - his, "Finest Hour," speech is also right up there.

The Saint Crispin's Day speech (once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more), or Churchill's would be the first things that spring to mind.

It's interesting that all the (admittedly few) suggestions so far are very recent, except the Henry V one [written by Shakespeare, but still four centuries old].

The first one that came to my mind was the one by Churchill in “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few”, followed by the one by JFK when he said “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”.

you could argue that the MOST well known would be something in the bible

"oh Father, why hast thou forsaken me?" being an obvious one or various other sermons by Jesus

'What we need to learn to do, we learn by doing." Some old Greek dude called Aristotle.

I immediately thought of Pericles's funeral speech too - as recounted by Thucydides. Defining democracy and all that. Possible contender for most famous throughout history, but it won't be the most famous now for sure, and there are so many more people living now it loses out, I guess.

I don't understand re Henry V. Hamlet's To Be Or Not To Be is more famous, and both speeches are fictional.

I think I would say a speech has to be a public address- which- in fiction- rules out both Hamlet, Macbeth and Prospero's soliloquies; leaving Mark Antony's "Lend me your ears" and Henry V's "Band of Brothers".

(And more than a snippet- so boldly go ;)). And of course while Classical/Biblical allusions are Western-world wide, each language undoubtedly has its own.

I'd say:
The Sermon on the Mount
Pericles, Funeral Speech
(Socrates Apologia- was it enough of a public occasion to be a speech?)
Churchill , surely the most close-packed, all in early summer of 1940: "blood toil, tears, and sweat"May 13; "Fight on the beaches" June 4; "this was their finest hour" June 18

Gettysburg Address
MLK I had a dream

Speaking of Germans, how about Luther at the Diet of Worms;

"Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."

Alas,

It is legend that Luther said the words "Here I stand. I cannot do otherwise. God help me, Amen!" These words were probably only added to make the story more interesting; to make it a 'press sensation'.

Hm, most famous speech? It seems to me that we are only dealing with snippets of speeches. If we would go with knowing the whole speech, I think the only real contenders would be the Gettysburg Address (memorized by generations of American elementary students [no longer in favor]) or the Sermon on the Mount.

Also wouldn't there have to be at least enough age on a speech that no living person could remember having heard it live before it could begin to qualify? Otherwise you have current events contending with historical remembrance, which is a very unfair fight indeed.

Back