Help, I can't remember author or title again

brightspirit

I remember reading a book, or series of books, fantasy fiction that had journeying companions who ended up spending time in a community that was hidden/secretive as a means of protection from some ill factor in the story, and taught a sort of martial art/hand-fighting they'd developed. Everyone in the community did time with the farming and work of the community. There were community warm springs; everything seemed very communal. The journeying individuals eventually spend time there, training and becoming a part of the community. They venture out to face some injustice and/or right some situation in their wider world. This was just a part of the story cycle but it's all I seem to recall except that I remember enjoying the tale immensely.

Does this ring a bell with anyone who can give me author and title(s)?

Thanks in advance... :)

I have no idea, but I'll move this to the Book Search sub-forum, where several knowledgeable members are kept imprisoned to answer this kind of question.

No it doesn't sound like Amtrak Wars - unless the farming communities are populated by Mutants with psychic powers!

I just remember farms or communities above ground for the elite its a long time since i read it may have to dig them out for a re-read

This seems like a common theme::

Lost Horizon (Hardback): James Hilton: 9781849027687: Amazon.com: Books
But these people stumble across the community by accident.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385261209/?tag=brite-21
These people are held prisoner

Amazon.com: The Master of Izindi eBook: Dave Wallace: Kindle Store
This one I think they actually travel there for the purpose of training.

Amazon.com: The Steerswoman (Steerswoman Series Book 1) eBook: Rosemary Kirstein: Kindle Store
This one might actually be close because they have special training and do do gardening while in the community and they do travel out and search out knowledge--not so much for fighting--but end up fighting against a dark enemy.

So there are likely a number more choices people will offer to the description above.

This seems like a common theme::

Lost Horizon
But these people stumble across the community by accident.

Nothing Sacred
These people are held prisoner

The Master of Izindi
This one I think they actually travel there for the purpose of training.

The Steerswoman Series Book 1
This one might actually be close because they have special training and do do gardening while in the community and they do travel out and search out knowledge--not so much for fighting--but end up fighting against a dark enemy.

So there are likely a number more choices people will offer to the description above.

I've read 3 of those and it's not any of them, plus the book(s) I read predate the ebook revolution, being written in or prior to the very early '80's. But, thanks for your feedback. :)

The problem is I've read so many fantasy fiction books through the years and once had a collection of almost 400 which ended up donated to the local library when my then-husband complained about moving boxes and boxes of books during numerous relocations. There are lots of books and trilogies I loved and no longer remember the authors and titles.

PS Never marry anyone who asks you to get rid of books! :p

I second that e-motion::
PS Never marry anyone who asks you to get rid of books! :p
:: I had to leave mine for a short time on the opposite coast ( with the ex) and was fortunate to have a good friend who visited her and was able to mail them all back to me--except for the Complete Sherlock Holmes and the Complete Edgar Allen Poe(Mysteriously absent); both of which I have replaced since.

P.P.s never lend a book out either i hate corner folders it draws your eyes

Books are sacred to me...no corner folding, no pen/pencil marks, and unless they're textbooks, absolutely no highlighting! o_O

I've stopped lending books out entirely. My books are like my children and they no longer get to do sleepovers at other people's houses.

Oh I agree, i had somebody correct a few spelling errors in a book once, with a bic, really annoying, had to replace the book, thats how annoying I find it, probably my O.C.D kicking in.

You people are weird. ;)

Dog-eared pages are a sign that somebody has truly loved a book. As much as I like finding an old Panther/Granada paperback in pristine condition, to me such condition says that the previous owner had never read and re-read the story as a tale they loved. I like the sense that the previous owner had loved the book I'm reading.

...but that's just me :)

I'm OK with the edges of the pack of the pages being a bit worn (those 'rough cut' edges showing a bit of use), or even less than perfectly white, or even the pages in an old paperback that have loosened as the glue dried out, but turned-down corners, reader's comments, or other defacing of the book is sacrilege!
--Paul E Musselman

To touch my books is a sacrilege, I came in from work 3 years ago, my girlfriend said your Brother borrowed your Amtrak Wars collection, suffice to say I never got them back, told him to keep them and, replaced them on my shelf, moved my library to my bedroom..

She's promised never to let anyone touch or, borrow again, I dust them myself, I think I pushed her too far over them, she said she's not even going to go near them.

(secretly I'm quite happy at only me touching them after all I don't touch her books)

Anyway back to this book search I want to read this book Aswell so I'm going to do a massive google search or try anyway.

Back