Bummed Out by Single Season Shows

psychotick

Dangerously confused
Hi,

Just an oddball thing. Does anyone else get bummed out by single season shows? It seems to me that it's happening more often to shows I like. Shows that had potential. It was a pain for me when Wonderfalls died at the end of the first season.

In the last month I've watched Constantine - which was starting to get good before it got capped. The Whispers which was really damned awesome with all the creepy kids - before it got capped. Before that it was Salem, King and Maxwell (damned funny) and Almost Human (which could have gone on a long way). And maybe I'm a little bummed by the unexpected third season end of Defiance as well.

Meanwhile other shows seem to get the green light for second seasons. The one that annoyed me was Wayward Pines - which was only ever supposed to be a single season show! I mean it wasn't bad, but really the story seemed concluded.

Am I out of step with the viewing public?

Cheers, Greg.

I was super bummed when they didn't renew CONSTANTINE or FOREVER. Utterly stupid moves on both networks' part because both have pretty large built-in audiences as evident from the Facebook pages, on Twitter etc but they chose to go with the outdated live viewership numbers instead of looking at the "long tail" of DVR viewing, online viewing etc.

And Fox shot themselves in the foot when they rearranged the order of the episodes for ALMOST HUMAN which I too felt could have gone a very long way.

My POV is that for network television, except for the CW, the traditional big boys (ABC, NBC, Fox etc) really don't know what to do about comic book/Sci-fi/Fantasy series and are working with an outdated process of determining what shows are popular and what aren't. And so we land up - irritatingly - with single seasons of shows that would've exploded in popularity had they been allowed to find their feet and hit their stride in the second season.

Lack of imagination from short sighted jerks. As Seth Macfarlane once said, "Who's running things at Fox, monkeys?"

Its really hard to find a decent series at the moment. At the same time what's more irritating. Is when someone has an amazing character or story. And does a bad job of it.

Yep, sadly too true. Have you tried these ones: Gotham, Daredevil and Jessica Jones. If you like a bit of darkness with your viewing these will fit the bill. Oh, I assume you've seen the magnificent Battlestar Galactica?

Just started dare devil. Its not bad. Are u talking battle star series? If so no. All the films yes.i like Vikings ha

Yeah, I forgot Vikings; great show. Re BSG, I'm talking about the remake that came out around 2003, NOT the original. Try the first episode, that is the 100 minute mini movie. If you like that you will love the rest. I envy you. You get to see this brilliant show for the first time. See I told you. Stick around and you'll pick up all sorts of gold nuggets. I suspect that most of us may be a tad older than you so ...

I'm 27. I'm a lover of old music and old films I am a reader
An writer (my writing is purely a hobby. With no expectations). I do enjoy star wars. I think its brilliant . But as with most great stories and ideas. I think it could be better

Add Agent X to the list. I was three episodes in when I was informed that the 10 episodes I had on my DVR had become the entire series.

I thought it was a good show. It might have become a great one had it been allowed to live.

Patience is not a common virtue among television program number crunchers. I wonder whether networks might profit more if they gave each new series a minimum of two seasons to find its audience.

Seinfeld would not have survived the first season if it was brought out today. The weakest of the series it was only renewed because the studio head thought it had potential. And, of course, it did. It's up there with the great comedies: I love lucy, the honeymooners and Space Rangers. :whistle: Imagine having no Seinfeld? It's awfully disheartening at times.

Hi,

I'm glad it's not just me. To be fair I didn't really like Forever that much, but it was ok. And I never liked Seinfeld. But look at the numbers who rave about it! So it's obviously one the networks got right by keeping. And Supernatural's in its tenth season which is awesome. Yet to see Dare devil and Vikings.

Maybe what keeps the shows going is strong fan support early on? And maybe that's the lesson here. If we like something we've got to say it.

Cheers, Greg.

The legendary Firefly. What an awesome show. 1season.
Almost Human was also good.

Maybe what keeps the shows going is strong fan support early on? And maybe that's the lesson here. If we like something we've got to say it.

The problem is that there's a small but very vocal minority of fanboys who tend to complain a lot and poke holes in new series and adaptations, especially when it comes to comic books being made into TV series (witness CONSTANTINE). And when the network decides to cancel the series, then panic sets in and other fans try to shore it up but it's too late.

It would seem that hardcore fanboys would rather nothing be made unless it can absolutely conform to their idea of how it should be. EEJITS!

I was sad about forever. That was great fun. I'm glad to see the always fun unforgettable was picked up for a fourth series by a rival network (I think it was a rival)

So many good series killed off, alphas was just getting interesting... The awfulness (but compulsive watching, how much worse can it get?!) that is teen Wolf is still going strong. I still haven't seen when lucifer is being shown or if it got cancelled after the pilot. That looked fantastic, oh so many sad things. Although I didn't like constantine, it may have needed a second series - such a complicated comic to make...

According to imdb Lucifer will be back on 26.1.16. Unless it's not. :confused: