Looking for books set in the future of warfare?

Druico

Hey,

As the title suggests, I'm after books that focus on the future of military warfare. Think Tom Clancy in the future style. I've just finished playing the new Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Campaign and would love to pick up some books that deal with the whole advanced warfare of drones, technology enhanced cyber soldiers etc but it's not really an area I'm very aware of. Any help would be awesome :)

Thanks all,
Dan

Baen publish a lot of military SF, much of it along the lines of US marines vs someone in space. It's probably worth looking at their catalogue. The Honor Harrington novels by David Weber are well-regarded, but they're more about battleships than Tom Clancy type fighting.

Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page

I've been working through Jerry Pournelle's There Will Be War anthology series, which has a lot of interesting military SF short stories and military articles. I think the books that have been republished recently were originally written in the 90s, but he's just released a new one.

Hammer's Slammers. I think the author is Gordon Dickson but my memory is not certain. Even even though they were written awhile back they really touch on the changes brought on by tech like you referenced. Body armor, artillery from space etc.

Hammer's Slammers. I think the author is Gordon Dickson but my memory is not certain. Even even though they were written awhile back they really touch on the changes brought on by tech like you referenced. Body armor, artillery from space etc.
Think the author was David Drake rather than Gordon Dickson.

You might try "Armor" by John Steakly. It's a S.F. book with good legs (keeps selling over a long period of time) and deals a lot with the psychological effect of war and fighting as armored personal.

No, I think that was Dave Drake.
You're correct to mention Gordy Dickson in connection with military SF, though -- start with TACTICS OF MISTAKE, I suggest.

Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghost books are excellent reads and some of the best Military science fiction I've ever read.(y)

Also Sandy Mitchell's Caiphis Cain novels are fun and entertaining reads Basically Flashman in space . (y)

I'll second Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts series. Very good reading.

Haven't read much Tom Clancy, but I have read many a nonfiction book on military strategy and studied the subject in college for a time. Good warfare sci-fi to me is less about the science and more about the things that don't really change, like the effects of war on soldiers.

I like Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It reads like a new Heinlein novel. Starship Troopers (by Robert A Heinlein) is a great read as well, and Heinlein actually served in the Navy. It's nothing like the movie (which I also really like, for different reasons).

You might try "Armor" by John Steakly. It's a S.F. book with good legs (keeps selling over a long period of time) and deals a lot with the psychological effect of war and fighting as armored personal.

Excellent book.:)

Ian Douglas has multiple mil-scifi series.

Roland Green (iirc) wrote the shenandoah series, 6 books space/naval combat.

will edit if I remember more before edit times out.

Shadowline (glen cook), with 2 tangentially related following books (starfishers, star's end). Shadowline is a grim military sci fi novel.. Also this author wrote The Dragon Never Sleeps, also mil-sci-fi (mainly space-oriented).

jerry Pournelle -the falkenberg's legion books, King David's Spaceship? he also started shared-universes (there will be war, war world) anthologies.

Last edited: