Monopoly: No one wants to play Rey

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Oops. The Monopoly edition of The Force Awakens omitted to include female lead Rey as a character piece on the board:

Star Wars fans unhappy after Rey is omitted from Monopoly game

A quick bit of PR fluff and the excuse is given that the company didn't want to give spoilers - even though Rey plainly appears in the teaser that was released in November 2014, and both Finn and BB-8 are included as playable figures.

It's obviously inconceivable that some boss at Hasbro thought no one would want to play a girl...

It's bloody odd.

If they've any sense they should come clean and then make a really positive bit of PR by not just adding it as a playing peice to new sets but also providing a free piece to anyone who requests it.

Brian, it's mad. As mad as when Naughty Dog had to fight to get Ellie on the cover of The Last of Us (not a spoiler to say she's one of the two protagonists).

I don't get it, with all the publicity about female characters being omitted you'd think they'd be keen to jump at the chance to look good in such a simple way.

Does anyone still play Monopoly?

(Don't misunderstand me. We love board games in my household. We played loads of different board, card and interactive games over the Christmas holidays, some very old, some new, hardly watched any TV - but I haven't played Monopoly in many years. 'Cards Against Humanity' is the current favourite party game.)

Wow, I am amazed that they left Rey out of the Monopoly set. And the Star Wars figure sets should have her in there as well!

Darth Vader would beat her.

As an aside, saw the playing pieces. Surprised how cheap they look, assuming the photo was accurate. I got a Monopoly set of Star Wars after the re-release of the original trilogy. Whilst the hotels/houses (capital ships and fighters) are a bit cheap and plastic, the playing pieces were pewter, and there were a small number of 1,000 credit coins, which was a nice touch.

Yes I do, regularly, with family and friends. It gets . . . tense.
Whenever I've played, most players go bankrupt relatively quickly, leaving just two players to battle it out for 15 hours! (or even longer!) That is fairly boring for all the others, and a fast way to lose friends.

Someone was asleep at the wheel to leave Rey out! ---- Dave when we play there is usually a time limit. Who ever has the most cash at that point wins. To play Monopoly to the bitter end when more than 2 players start is ridiculous!