A legendary pilot who could be in two places at the same time

unfunk

So in about 1991/92, I read a book or possibly a story about this team of (kids? researchers?) who were looking into the legend of a pilot who seemed like he could be in two places at the same time. This was during a period of interstellar (civil?) war, and was long enough before the setting of the book that his fame had passed into legend and there were more myths than hard facts on the dude.

Anyway (spoiler alert), the team eventually finds his ship, and found that it had a teleportation drive or something, and that's why he could be in two places at the same time.

The problem is that I'm sure the name of the ship was the Starburst, and the name of the drive was Jumpdrive... which is quite irritating, because all searches ever turn up are Farscape and/or Babylon 5.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't a "new" book at the time, but I don't think it was from one of the 'big names' either.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

This sounds quite a bit like A Talent for War by Jack McDevitt. Alex Benedict is a historical investigator/tomb robber who is trying to find the ship captained by Christopher Sim, legendary fighter.He almost single handedly won the war with his ship seeming to move so quickly it was like he was in two places at once. It's the first in the Alex Benedict series 1989.

ooooh, the Wikipedia synopsis certainly sounds very familiar. Not sure my mum would have ever let an impressionable young me ever read a book with "such a violent title", but maybe this one slipped past her.

In any case, thanks for putting me onto this series, even if it's not the right one! =)

You know, it's weird how our memory works. I remember this story being a bit more... bombastic, I guess. Bits of it seem familiar, but for the most part, it's all new to me.

I suppose that's what happens when you come back to something after 20+ years, and view it through the critical (cynical?) eyes of an adult.

Thanks for the tip-off!

How about "Biggles Pulls It Off" closely followed by "Biggles Sticks It Back On Again"!!!
Terrible old schoolboy joke!