DISCUSSION -- January 2016 300-word Writing Challenge (#20)

So, these diamonds stood out in a sea of gold:

Juliana
Victoria Silverwolf
Jo
Denise Tanaka
DG Jones
Mr Orange
Robert Mackay
Ursa Major
TJ

I knew I was going to give Victoria a vote as soon as I read her entry early on, so that left me with these 5 to battle it out: DG Jones, Mr Orange, Ursa, Robert MacKay and TJ.

In the end I had to go for DG's treachery and the horrific hallucination - or not - of Mr Orange.

votes:
Victoria
Mr Orange
DG Jones

pH

Last edited:
right, so things have been a bit busy lately. i will definitely get on and vote before the deadline so keep your raygun holstered @Bowler1

but in the meantime i have to give a lot of thanks! 6 votes so far which is my best showing in the 300 worder i think. won't be challenging for the lead but am very happy with the results so far.

many thanks for the votes @Ihe (glad you liked the penguin), @crystal haven, @Jo Zebedee and @Phyrebrat. and thanks for the ninja votes @Tim James

and thanks for the listings (short, long and final), mentions and favouritings @johnnyjet, @Rafellin, @Shyrka, @Starbeast, @Juliana and @LittleStar

The shortlisters:

Mr Orange
Jo Zebedee
Robert Mackay
Mad Alice
Mosaix
Ursa major

The 'I wish I had just one more vote to give':

Johnnyjet

And the votes:

Denise Tanaka
VB
The Judge

I really enjoyed reading all the stories, it was a tough competition month I think

thanks for the shortlisting @HazelRah, guess i better go off and vote...

right, i'm back. I'd like to say for a start that i am impressed with all the stories and how they all picked up on elements within the photo (some which you can't even see). i thought it'd be a good photo to get a raft of different ideas, and so it turned out to be... i have tried to pick the best but crikey it was hard..

shortlist and *votes*:

The Beach of Time – Unaired* Episode of The Twilight Zone [...] -- Cat's Cradle: Just hilarious.
Fish Kids -- Juliana: Horrifyingly good
Stranger on the Shore -- Victoria Silverwolf: A sweet tune
*THE WAY OF THE HUNT* -- Jo Zebedee: Poetry in prose
<untitled> -- Inca_UK: Desolate and moving
Quality Control -- Shyrka: Just quality.
“Looking Back” -- Denise Tanaka: Great story, great POV
JAWS: Chum Edition -- Starbeast: Typical Starbeast zaniness
Rinse, Repeat -- ratsy: Eternally good
Sole Survivor -- pambaddeley: Sensory delight
A Snapshot, With Commentary -- reiver33: Great feeling to the story
Like a You or a Me. -- Robert Mackay: Very moving
*Thank God it’s Friday....* -- Ursa major: Virtually perfect
*The Song for the Seal-Kin* -- The Judge: Amazing in 300 words

and there were plenty more that could have been on that list but i was harsh. had to cut it down somehow...

right, so things have been a bit busy lately. i will definitely get on and vote before the deadline so keep your raygun holstered @Bowler1

but in the meantime i have to give a lot of thanks! 6 votes so far which is my best showing in the 300 worder i think, and thanks for the listings (short, long and final), mentions and favouritings @johnnyjet, @Rafellin, @Shyrka, @Starbeast, @Juliana and @LittleStar

You're very welcome Mr Orange. Also, congrats on the votes my friend. Keep em' flying.

shortlist:

JAWS: Chum Edition -- Starbeast: Typical Starbeast zaniness

Heh heh. :alien: Yeah, I like to get weird on this site. Thanks dude for the Shortlisting. You made my night. :)

I suspect it's in the bag. :) I'll be dusting down the lemon bridesmaids dress and battling Victoria and Her honour for it. :D

Oops. I didn't see the big lead she has there - double digit votes and I completely missed them, despite one of those votes coming from me :notworthy: :oops:

The second place showdown, however....
If there's bridesmaid dresses, will there be cake? :giggle:

And a conveniently placed photographer to capture the drunkenness and general debauchery.

As ever the hardest bit is voting: My shortlist has become, and stayed, much too long, and some of those I cut I really felt I was being a bit arbitrary. Still, here it is, votes are *rred:

Tim james *

Culwhch

Cats cradle

Juliana

Ursa Major

Droflet

Mad Alice*

Victoria Silverwolf

J. D. Foster

Jo Zebedee

Denise Tanaka

Shyrka