Discussion thread -- January 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

I've only ever seen it as barmpot, with the "r" and Collins online defines it as "(Northern England, slang) a foolish or deranged person". I suspect it comes from "barm" which is the froth on fermenting malt liquor (originally, also yeast or leaven), so a barmpot is a pot full of beer froth. That also probably gives us "barmy" another slang English word meaning daft or very foolish.

NB It's usually an affectionate term, rather than an unpleasant/aggressive one, in case you were thinking of using it elsewhere!

TJ I've never seen it spelled with a "r" and a quick check reveals that it indeed could be spelled either way.

But in general, Beasty, Her honour is correct. It generally means someone who's one cannon short of an Arsenal, but in the nicest possible way :)

Thank you both for clarifying the UK slang word as a term of endearment (I had a feeling it was something like that). I'm touched. Heh heh. It's not the first time someone called me "crazy or nuts" (in a good way). :p

Ah, I didn't know Sally's shops, though I'm not convinced that's quite hairy enough, and the last line is a hair-reference too far to my mind (but makes more sense now you've explained it, as I was floundering trying to work out its relevance, and thought it was another film quote!), so I'm in the mood to strike those two. Which gives 15. And if you're having "this hair town", can I have "hair-wrangling" or "hair today" or "cheveux"? If so, I say it's an honourable draw!

Anyone else challenging for the number of puns/references? (I was going to say hairiest, but I think Mr O's "a frayed knot" takes that one...)

Congratulations LittleStar! And also to one of my favourite ex-London Chronners, VenusianBroon.*

Thank you for the shortlists, too. I was glad as glad for them as I would be for votes :D

pH
*whoever encouraged you to start entering the challenges, I'd like to know. I'd like to bash his (or her...cough) head in with a cullen skink.

CONGRATS LITTLESTAR

A very big thank you to HAZELRAH for your vote.
THANK YOU PHYREBRAT for the super duper favorite listing.
Thanks also to DUSTY ZEBRA for the listing.

I'm kinda sorry to see all those fine puns go away after this months challenge is put to rest but you all know how it is,
HAIR TODAY GONE TOMORROW!

Bob

Ah, I didn't know Sally's shops, though I'm not convinced that's quite hairy enough, and the last line is a hair-reference too far to my mind (but makes more sense now you've explained it, as I was floundering trying to work out its relevance, and thought it was another film quote!), so I'm in the mood to strike those two. Which gives 15. And if you're having "this hair town", can I have "hair-wrangling" or "hair today" or "cheveux"? If so, I say it's an honourable draw!

Anyone else challenging for the number of puns/references? (I was going to say hairiest, but I think Mr O's "a frayed knot" takes that one...)

I should certainly think so! At least "hair today", at the minimum, being the same usage as mine. :D

It does appear that we had the same idea, in all the lovely hairstyle names that can be repurposed into a western theme. I'm surprised I didn't think of Curly, but it's probably because I started with Marcel and Bob and didn't have any other characters.

That last line was probably the bane of my story, because it just wouldn't go away and probably should have. I had the other mohawk line, so I didn't need it, and still left it anyway. Something else might have done better there.

As a point of curiosity, how many of you august writers have seen the musical Hair, or at least heard the soundtrack? (Sir Droflet is already accounted for.)

I had significant misgivings about the likelihood of anyone recognizing the hooks in my piece, but you know how stream of consciousness writing is, and with me it's either take what it gives you and run with it, or punt! :rolleyes:

As a point of curiosity, how many of you august writers have seen the musical Hair, or at least heard the soundtrack? (Sir Droflet is already accounted for.)

I had significant misgivings about the likelihood of anyone recognizing the hooks in my piece, but you know how stream of consciousness writing is, and with me it's either take what it gives you and run with it, or punt! :rolleyes:

I too had misgivings about recognition of the piece, but it was clear that there were going to be an oferwhelming number of folksey, down home accents (which I know I do not excel in) vood need to take another tack and, ignoring my little cherman barber, Herr Kutz, move to London's Wild West End (which itself doth not lack weird) and musical comedy. Fortunately Buffalo Bill Cody had already made the trip over and was willing to attempt the changeover from 'Annie, get your gun' to the late nineteen sixties Broadway success, as the acknowledged transporter of American culture to Europe. Unfortunately eighteen sixties London was not quite ready for the spectacle.

And it came out below seventy-five words at the first attempt, so was obviously fated to be.

I did not even attempt a verse version.

Howdy-hey-there Grimward. I've seen most of the movie HAIR, many years ago as a kid, but unfortunately, I only remember a few of the songs that are played on the radio, and very little of the content (like the "slap on the face" scene).

Can I just say that I don't understand this desire to pack one's challenge entries with puns?

*cough*

Heh heh. Thanks for the chuckle this morning, Ursa Major, Bearer of Wit and Sir Loin of Beef.

Thank you for the listing Johnny jet! Truly appreciate it.
Thank you for the reviews star beast and Victoria!
Really appreciate it as I have Ben trying to get rid of this flu since before Christmas. Have felt a bit guilty at being o nonparticipating.
Anyways loved all of them as usual.
Here's the list.
ShortShort list
Harebrain
Will Wallace
Chrispynnygate
Hazelrah
Cathbad
Little star
Pambaddly
Vaz
Venusian Brook
Mosaic
Victoria Silverwolf
Tywin
Hex
Mr orange
Idealect
J5V

Shootout
Vaz
Idealist
Will Wallace
Chrispy

Last gunslinger standing
Will Wallace.
Thanks for the shortlisting Mad Alice!

Thanks to anyone who listed or mentioned my story. My lists are as follows:

Honorable Mentions - chrispenycate, Cathbad, johnnyjet and Phyrebrat.

Shortlist -
Starbeast, Tywin, pambaddeley, DG Jones and willwallace.

My vote goes to HazelRah.
Wow! Thanks for the shortlisting Ashleyne.

I did not even attempt a verse version.
I can see where that would have been daunting...;)

And I cringed a little when I saw you already had some references to Hair in yours, Chrispy, but luckily you went way beyond it too, whereas mine needed cropping just to make the word limit; my pitiful head had no room for any other references!

Howdy-hey-there Grimward. I've seen most of the movie HAIR, many years ago as a kid, but unfortunately, I only remember a few of the songs that are played on the radio, and very little of the content (like the "slap on the face" scene).

I had to refresh my memory a bit myself, SB.

Last edited:
Congrats Littlestar. Great story among great stories. Liked this month a lot! You guys are all winners in my eyes, the whole lot of you. (y) There, there, let's not get teary-eyed now.

Well done Littlestar! Sorry I've not posted before, I'vve been trying to pull something together for th 300 worder. My vote went to Victoria Silverwolf, and my short short list was: Mosaix, Littlestar, Jo Zebedee, Johnnyjet, The Judge, and Venusin Broon. All my other lists were either everyone or over 75% of everyone, but I'm getting used to that, lots of talent here! Thanks everyone who gave me a mention or listing, it always picks me up :D

StilLearning, thanks for the short-listing! I'm proud to be in such august company.

As a point of curiosity, how many of you august writers have seen the musical Hair, or at least heard the soundtrack?
I've heard of it, but never seen or heard any of the music, nor know anything about it save the obvious, so I'm afraid I missed the reference in your piece and Chris's (though I knew I was missing something in his, just not what it was!).

Thanks, StilLearning, for the short-listing! That brings my total number of mentions to 15. I'm sure that's an all-time high for me.

And Grimward, I remember Hair the legendary rock musical quite well as I grew up in that era. It was certainly a controversial play at the time and spawned some now classic songs and a movie that I don't think quite lived up to the legend. But along with Woodstock, it certainly epitomized the sixties hippie generation. I have to say I was what you would call a "hippie wannabe" -- never quite made it to the full "hippie" status.

Back