Mourn for Bygone Used Book Stores Here!

View attachment 64825

Updates:

I recall Mercator Somnium in Washington in the 80s. But it had gone by the 90s. Anyone else remember it?

I understand that Dreamhaven Books and Comics in Minneapolis was also vandalized in the recent riots, but not destroyed like Uncle Hugo's.

View attachment 64830

More news...

THE UNCLES STORIES PROJECT - Home (weebly.com)

A place to read people's memories of a long-lived sf bookstore that was destroyed in the summer of 2020, as noted elsewhere in this thread.

It seems that it would be good also to have sites for memories of bookstores now gone that came to less catastrophic ends.

Thanks @Extollager I had searched 'bookshops' not 'book stores' :oops:
I'll duplicate the post here
....................................................​
The sad loss of Berwyn books
A treasure house of secondhand and antique books lost to fire.
Why does this keep happening?
I recall we had a thread on lost bookshops but I couldn't find it.

In happier news, Uncle Hugo's will be coming back, in a new location 2-3 miles from the old!

We reached agreement on the price of the building that I wanted to buy for the new Uncles location and I passed along the earnest money check to my real estate agent midweek and he passed it along to the title company. So the deal will go through unless something totally unexpected happens before closing. Closing is tentatively scheduled for March 24, and I hope that contractors will be able to start working on the building around the beginning of April and I hope we can open sometime in June.

Interestingly, the building they bought used to be owned by a local stained glass company.

I looked in the window of my local second hand bookshop yesterday and was reassured.
3DBDECB0-39E0-4C32-8B2A-602013A0253B.jpeg