Mourn for Bygone Used Book Stores Here!

1. 2DaveWixon

2DaveWixon Shocked and Appalled!

Isn't that wonderful?!!? It has to have been put on the web in a labor of love by somebody... We need a lot of that.

2. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental

It's the ChicagoTribune. I know a writer/editor who worked there in the 90s.

For Owner Alice Bentley, Sci-fi Bookstore Is Something Of A Fantasy

Alice Bentley

Now stuff is getting more recent:

Ketter and Bentley Revive DreamHaven Books

Talk about cyberstalking. LOL

DreamHaven Books, Comics and Art

psik

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  3. Extollager

Extollager Well-Known Member

4. Extollager

5. Extollager

6. dannymcg

dannymcg Raoul Mitgong won't help

Three years ago I was on a work safety training course. All week at the town of Ulverston in South Cumbria so I stayed in a hotel there called Sefton House. The main attraction for this hotel is an "American style coffee bar, plus art gallery". Very full at nights.

However this hotel also has another business, and has for a few years now, second hand books. I wasn't aware when first checking in, but I noticed when going to my room that every inch of wall in the corridors, hallways etc are covered in shelves crammed full of used books. Prices on peel off labels.
    Just outside my third floor room were loads of war stories. At the back of ground floor was sff section and by the end of the week I'd bought a couple of dozen.
    There is a bed and breakfast in Blackpool (can't remember name) that does similar used book selling but it's mainly biographies. Gotta be a few more like that where they have a thriving secondary business in old books.

Extollager and dask like this.
  7. Extollager

"I noticed when going to my room that every inch of wall in the corridors, hallways etc are covered in shelves crammed full of used books"

I'm not sure I would be able to sleep... could wander those halls all night.

EJ Heijnis, dannymcg and dask like this.
  8. Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

A slightly more worrying thought follows on from your recent comment in the Book Hauls thread (Book Hauls!). What if the current increase in second hand book shops is due to younger people divesting themselves of inherited book collections...

Extollager likes this.
  9. EJ Heijnis

EJ Heijnis Inscribinator

I used to vacation near Glastonbury and Wells in England every year with my father. There were a handful of used bookstores we'd visit every time, and I always walked away with something new. I always wanted to stay longer! There's a special joy to be found in wandering aisle after aisle of massive bookshelves, with no idea of what you might find next. They're magical places. And the smell...!