Humans: an evil species of predator

Good and evil are abstracts with a proven lack of ability to do anything useful in the real world, except instigate terrific plots for Tolkien, George Lucas et al -

But isn't creating an ideal toward which we can strive to attain, despite our many flaws and imperfections, a worthy goal? Even though we are bound to fail in attaining that sense of goodness, isn't the attempt to do so just as admirable a way to live one's life?

It might be unfashionable to create such extreme black-and-white canvases nowadays, but the Star Wars / LOTR juggernauts don't seem to be doing overly badly right now, do they? ;)

Even in ages when the people or government were often immoral, you find that people knew what they ought to do even when they didn't! Yes, good and evil are abstracts, as are love, hate, justice, mercy... sieve the universe and you can't find an atom of them. However it doesn't mean they don't exist or don't matter.

But isn't creating an ideal toward which we can strive to attain, despite our many flaws and imperfections, a worthy goal? Even though we are bound to fail in attaining that sense of goodness, isn't the attempt to do so just as admirable a way to live one's life?

Indeed, but why create random whites and blacks according to primitive tribal customs when you can get off your backside, think about what a human being is, then strive to attain a humane life? There is only one human condition. There are any number of abstracted goods and evils invented by crazy men.

Indeed, but why create random whites and blacks according to primitive tribal customs when you can get off your backside, think about what a human being is, then strive to attain a humane life? There is only one human condition. There are any number of abstracted goods and evils invented by crazy men.

I think the vast majority of us know what is right and wrong, we just have to try and live by that as best we can. I believe in freedom, but it must be freedom where you do your best to not harm others.

I think the vast majority of us know what is right and wrong, we just have to try and live by that as best we can. I believe in freedom, but it must be freedom where you do your best to not harm others.

I would say a bit more. I would say the ultimate freedom is to be free to actively help others. Humans were not created for isolation but for community. And community is best when each serves the other.

There is a fact that is poorly explained by most theories, and that is the fact that most predators avoid humans and humans are most definitely not preferred prey for most of them; this is why "maneaters" among lions and tigers, for example, are rare. This despite the fact that humans are weak (much weaker than chimps, for example), slow over any distance less than a half-marathon, and have a very poor sense of smell.

I think the reason why lions (for example) don't normally hunt humans is fundamentally that humans have the intellectual capacity to bear a grudge - and we often do. Which means that a lion with a taste for human flesh is probably not going to breed, at least after it has indulged the urge. Other prey animals, even those which have decent natural weapons (such as various antelopes and buffalo) don't hunt down a lion that kills one of them. We do.

On a somewhat more SF note, ETs might well be put off communicating with us for various reasons. Just one of those is that a large proportion of the population spends many hours running combat simulations - for fun (eek!) - and a fairly large part of the economy is connected to programming them and also making the hardware to run the sims better.

humans are weak (much weaker than chimps, for example), slow over any distance less than a half-marathon, and have a very poor sense of smell.

Can't remember the name or author of the short story but basically the hero escapes from a laboratory where a mad professor is manufacturing a variety of robots to take over the world. The professor sends his army of robots in pursuit...

The hero climbs a wall - some of the robots can't manage it.

The hero runs through a muddy field - some of the remaining robots can't manage it.

The hero swims a river - some of the remaining robots can't manage it.

There's more stuff but I think you get the picture by now.

They spoiled the Daleks by upgrading them. The originals were stuck inside their special environment.

I did like the new color coded Daleks because they can go with any style of furniture . :D

Back