Launched a cover art kickstarter for my new cyberpunk series

Michael Coorlim

I'm wrapping up the first three books in a cyberpunk series set in 2025 Chicago, and to fund the books' cover art I've launched a kickstarter campaign. The initial target is quite low - only $100 USD - and that gives me enough to purchase stock art and work up a layout. If I earn enough I'll commission custom art from someone with actual talent.

440x220.jpg

Shadow Decade tells the story of a woman who wakes up in 2025 with no memory of the last decade. Alone, confused, without friends, family, or a recent work history, she must try and rebuild her life while contending with culture-shock, depersonalization, and a world wracked by rampant unemployment and environmental decay. All before the past she can't remember catches up to her.

I've been describing it to people who aren't into the genre as "The Bourne Identity" meets "Blade Runner", but it's really closer to "Long Kiss Goodnight" meets "Strange Days." Near future, draws from current trends in futurism, and the way that persistent poverty grinds people down.

I'm still not sure as to whether billing it as cyberpunk or just "near future sci fi" is more appealing; it doesn't have that particular "1980s idea of the future" sheen to it. It's a more carefully predictive idea of where we'll be in ten years' time.

Anyway, that's what I've been working on. If you want copies of the book, I'd invite you to donate to the kickstarter. If not, but are feeling generous and want to support a fell Chron author, it would be a big help if you could spread the word to those you know who enjoy this sort of thing.