Are there any disney movies where a the parent figure of a child does not die?

I think that the theme of dramatizing the loss of someone important is, somehow intrinsic to childhood.

My daughters, spontaneously, had a recurrent fantasy in their play with friends, where they had been orphaned.

I read it as an inherent form of psychological "rehearsing" responses to the worst case scenario."

The drama is irresistible. What story could be more captivating and horrifying, to a young child, than the loss of a beloved parent.

The interesting thing I find about Disney movies I watched as a kid is this: each of the films is either much better or much worse than I remember it being. I remember loving the original Jungle Book as a kid, but as an adult, found that it had no plot and that the story was just an excuse to hop from musical number to musical number. On the other hand, I watched Sleeping Beauty recently and thought, "Hey, this is good. Like, really good." It was much better than I remembered. The fact that I can find things in these movies all these years later proves what a genius Walt Disney really was.

The new Moana movie has both parents alive throughout the entire movie. Instead, the grandma dies. I found this to be much more realistic and liked this plot twist.

Last edited by a moderator: