Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Season 3 of The Bridge begins tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bnc34

The first season is a standout classic, and I reviewed that here:
https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/546984/

Season 2 started a bit wobbly before it got into stride - you can find a recap of that on the BBC website here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p038jlbb

Will be interesting to see how the writers manage to hold together a season 3 after what's happened, let alone considering the standard they've already set for themselves.

Will be interesting to see how the writers manage to hold together a season 3 after what's happened, let alone considering the standard they've already set for themselves.

Most definitely.

I'm utterly hooked on both The Bridge and The Killing but I won't be watching tonight. I'll be waiting until I add these to my DVD collection when it becomes available. I've still got season three to get through on The Killing so I've got plenty to keep going in the meantime.

Nordic Noir...You gotta love it(y)

Watched both prior series. It's the only Scandi-drama I watch, but it is a bit irksome and perplexing that they double-shot the episodes.

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it - good to see the season getting back to basics with a strong murder-mystery, rather than struggling to do bigger as they did with season 2.

I'm sure more than a few people would have noted a connected to the French detective series Witnesses with the arrangement of the family around the table...

I was really hoping that Hanne would be Saga's partner in the series. An older woman main character - great stuff, challenging the norm! Alas, as soon as Hanne tried to open the son's cabin I knew it would be booby-trapped. Then, even though there's a clear theme of gender issues, the producers went for the predictable step of pairing Saga up with a handsome young man to sex things up with the show...

Oh, btw, I'm immediately looking for a suspect. Who would have had access to mannequins? Someone in retail. And there's one character who might fit that profile already introduced - the one-night lover Saga's new male partner had...

I'm sure I'm just clutching at straws here. :D

Must admit, I would've preferred that as well.

Liking the way the story's going, however. I just wish the BBC wouldn't double shot it. There are only 10 episodes, why not show one at once instead of giving us a quintet of two hours each?

I always watch the first episode when it's on each Saturday, then record the second episode and watch it on Sunday :)

Watched episode 2 and the story is still going strong - keeping everything tight and tense. Very atmospheric, good pace, and the characters are all working very well.

This is all very much back on form to season 1, as one of the best detective/thriller shows on TV. :)

Episode 8 was superb!

They're really putting poor Saga through it this season :(

The ending to 8 was very good. Misery was being doled out like confetti at a wedding.

Just finished episode 6 - things are really hotting up nicely.

It looks as though Sega is going to end up framed for her mother's death - but that her new partner will exonerate her before the process goes too far. He has already proven himself to have an eye for detail that everyone misses - something demonstrated by comparison to the pathologist who missed the burn marks. This may additionally lead Saga's partner to discover that Saga's sister never killed herself, but was instead killed by the victim. I guess he'll end up pulling the case notes out on the sister's case after Saga is formally charged.

Also, really love the emotional and psychological development of the male lead (whose name I currently forget!!).

I shan't spoil anything, but one suspects you'll enjoy the emotional/psychological aspect even more going on.

Spoilers, just in case you 'taped' the episodes but haven't got around to watching them yet.

Liked season one, didn't get into season two, enjoyed this season.

Suspected the bad guy ever since he survived one of the murders.

Damn it, no preview option...

EDIT: Doesn't matter, it worked. :)

Re the final episode:

Henryk finding out about Alice, then Saga realising that he was using narcotics, and the conflict in her after what happened with Martin . . .

. . . and after all that the scene at the railway tracks tore me up completely :cry:

My copy of season 3 on DVD has just arrived. Looks like it'll be a Bridge binge for me over Christmas:)

Finished season 3 - powerful stuff, with a surprising amount of focus on the characters at the end. That train scene...

And a good base for a season 4. Looking forward to it.

If there is a fourth series. I'm not sure that's been confirmed.

The train scene was intense. But was it as intense as the loan repayment scheme scene from several episodes earlier?