AMC's Into The Badlands

Juliana

95% tea
Supporter
Decided to see what this was about, since it premiered last Sunday. I thought it was pretty good. I loved the whole post apocalyptic-steampunk-feudal-wild west vibe going on. First episode was more about introducing the world and the characters, but held enough interest to make me want to watch it again. Visuals were gorgeous, both in terms of scenography and wardrobe, and the fight choreography was great.

Did anyone else catch this?

1.01 The Fort
I loved the whole post apocalyptic-steampunk-feudal-wild west vibe going on.
I loved your description.

I just watched this premiere, and I was totally blown away. AMC, you've done it again.
Martial arts mayhem, impossible to kill hero, kid with mysterious powers, forbidden romance, drug-addicted baron, black widow, a Victor-Victrola sitting on a boom-box – I'm in!

1.02 Fist Like a Bullet
A black widow walks into a bar …
I'm thinking Baron Quinn's senior wife is M.K.'s long-lost mom.
How is it that the Widow knows all about M.K.'s special powers?
Lots of red mist in the air.

I really enjoyed the first episode and fully intent to watch it again as I know I missed things (I was sewing at the time and didn't expect it to be quite so good!)

The Widow rocks. Completely and absolutely. Fight scenes are so slickly perfect, they're a pleasure to watch. And the outfits... I want every single one of the Widow's outfits. :D

Visually, in terms of scene setting, the only show as pretty as this (in my opinion, obviously) is Gotham, with those moody city shots. Sunny's character, now that we're two episodes in, is developing nicely, and contrasts nicely with MK.

Link posted on Madeleine Mantock's twitter feed (if anyone watched The Tomorrow People, she was the best friend): http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ion?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"It is absolutely bonkers and there is nothing else like it on television" Yup, sounds like a good description. :D

The Widow rocks. Completely and absolutely. Fight scenes are so slickly perfect, they're a pleasure to watch. And the outfits... I want every single one of the Widow's outfits. :D

Visually, in terms of scene setting, the only show as pretty as this (in my opinion, obviously) is Gotham, with those moody city shots. Sunny's character, now that we're two episodes in, is developing nicely, and contrasts nicely with MK.

Link posted on Madeleine Mantock's twitter feed (if anyone watched The Tomorrow People, she was the best friend): http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ion?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"It is absolutely bonkers and there is nothing else like it on television" Yup, sounds like a good description. :D
:LOL: The Widow's outfits are proof that one can be bristling with weapons without sacrificing style.

The way the black contrasts with her flaming red hair is amazing. I haven't seen such saturated color in anything on television since Pushing Daisies.

Saw the first episode while I was cooped up in the hospital. I liked it. However, I'm one of the few people in the world that doesn't have cable at home.

Read a TV Guide magazine review of the show by Matt Roush. He didn't like it. Only gave 2 out of 5 stars.

1.03 White Stork Spreads Wings

Baron Quinn is developing nicely as the pure evil supervillain of the series. If he allows Veil to operate on his tumor, she would do well to keep on drilling right through his bastardly braincase. She knows he turned her parents into sushi because they knew too much. She could expect to suffer the same fate.

I amazed at how easily Quinn and his men stormed the Widow's stronghold. Things weren't exactly peaceful between Quinn and the Widow, what with the exchange of murder attempts and all. She should have had more guards on duty. Quinn didn't even appear to have a full contingent of clippers with him when he took Widow World and drove the Widow and her martial arts maids into substandard housing.

How fortuitous for her that Quinn had a migraine just as he was about to spike her to the floor. How fortuitous for viewers, as the Widow is definitely a character who would be missed.

Three episodes in, and I'm still enjoying this series immensely -- unlike Dark Matter, which had an exceptional premiere and went steadily downhill thereafter. I guess that's the quality difference between AMC and Syfy.

I'm enjoying this, just watch ep3, pretty good so far, lots of promise.

Just catching up on this - I'm pretty impressed. Love The Widow and Tilda!

Mark Millar redeems himself re female characters with this series!

1.04 Two Tigers Subdue Dragon

I don't see how they can possibly wrap all of this up in only two remaining episodes. This was billed as a six-part mini-series, but it definitely deserves more.
The Widow is always a step or 100 ahead of the others. Not only does she have Zypher, Baron Jacobee's regent, in her pocket, she now has Quinn's inept son, Ryder.

Well, how many times has Quinn told sonny, that real men take what they want? Ryder is only taking Pop's advice.

The Widow did a nice job of keeping the war pot boiling by sending Tilda to take a shot at Quinn during the parley with Jacobee. I was glad that M.K. came out his Hulklike trance moments short of ending her.

The Widow took Quinn by complete surprise by killing the clippers guarding the fort and bribing his cogs to defect to her.

All hail the Widow! She is obviously the queen on this chessboard.

The big cliffhanger question of the episode, how will Sonny get around the River King's price for passage out of the Badlands -- M.K.'s head.

1.04 Two Tigers Subdue Dragon

I don't see how they can possibly wrap all of this up in only two remaining episodes. This was billed as a six-part mini-series, but it definitely deserves more.
The Widow is always a step or 100 ahead of the others. Not only does she have Zypher, Baron Jacobee's regent, in her pocket, she now has Quinn's inept son, Ryder.

Well, how many times has Quinn told sonny, that real men take what they want? Ryder is only taking Pop's advice.

The Widow did a nice job of keeping the war pot boiling by sending Tilda to take a shot at Quinn during the parley with Jacobee. I was glad that M.K. came out his Hulklike trance moments short of ending her.

The Widow took Quinn by complete surprise by killing the clippers guarding the fort and bribing his cogs to defect to her.

All hail the Widow! She is obviously the queen on this chessboard.

The big cliffhanger question of the episode, how will Sonny get around the River King's price for passage out of the Badlands -- M.K.'s head.

Yeah, I wanna see how Sunny gets out of that one...

I'm supposed to be watching this with my son, but now we're 2 episodes behind so if he doesn't get organized soon I'm going to catch up on my own. :mad:
Yeah!
I'm way behind on the other series accumulating on my DVR, but Into the Badlands is at the top of the weeklies. A guy has got to learn to prioritize, especially when it comes to something like TV watching.;)

I know... I already gave up on waiting to watch Gotham and The Flash with him. He prefers to let them stack up and binge-watch a whole bunch of episodes at once. But we had an agreement that this was to be 'our' show. ;)

Three episodes in, and I'm still enjoying this series immensely -- unlike Dark Matter, which had an exceptional premiere and went steadily downhill thereafter. I guess that's the quality difference between AMC and Syfy.

Well, SyFy has KILLJOYS which is pretty good. I guess it really depends on the production team...

Well, SyFy has KILLJOYS which is pretty good. I guess it really depends on the production team...
Love Killjoys. I guess what I meant to say is that AMC hits the bullseye with almost everything it puts out, whereas Syfy usually misses the target completely. The only program it has ever produced comparable to top AMC offerings was Battlestar Galactica.

Back