AMC's Into The Badlands

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I thought that Sunny should have taken M.K.’s advice and finished him while he was rebar-impaired.
Yes, a real mistake. This if this is "the end of the world" then there is no time for sentimentality.
Is the Black Lotus cult something new? I don’t remember it in previous episodes. Their members can’t be too tough, if the Mad Witch could dispatch the pair of assassins who found her.
The Black Lotus rang a bell with me from some mention in a very early episode, but my memory these days is like a sieve. It isn't unlikely that the Mad Witch (strong in the "power" is this one) could dispatch them so easily since they don't have the power. However, why they think have a chance, or how are they so well respected when they don't have any chance, that I cannot say.

In the first Season we were given the strong impression that the setting was middle America somewhere in the distant future. Then we crossed some mountains out of the wastelands (which looked rather fertile for wastelands) into more scrub and desert. Then Pilgrim came along and camped out on some temperate island on a lake with a medieval church or abbey on the hill. Now we are in an area with high mountains and a floodplain of a large river with waterfront quays and markets that looks like eastern Asia. Now I realise that Geography is never a strong point in these series, but all of these places are meant to be with a few days/weeks travel at most. So, where exactly are they?

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
bye-bye bajie.jpg

Nooooooo! Not Bajie!

Despite the closeup of what appeared to be Bajie’s final breaths, there’s a slim chance that he may survive being run though by a Black Lotus swordsman.

If not, what are the remaining episodes going to do for comic relief with Bajie gone? None of the other characters have shown a sense of humor, unless they were playing off Bajie. I’ll miss you, Bajie.

Ankara, the sarcastic, all-powerful mad witch, also made a blah exit. Even with the acupuncture-immobilizing needle removed, she was defeated by a couple of chains, gift-deactivated and skewered.

Especially disappointing was the Pilgrim’s beatdown of the Master. I’m hoping that, even in victory, the fight drained the Pilgrim enough that a rematch with the Master will end in defeat.

He seemed to lose a little more of his stamina with every “Dark One” sleeper he revived. The Gift appears to be, as the Master warned, consuming him from within. Bleeding from the eyes is not a sign of robust health.

M.K. seems to have gone completely over to the dark side. His execution of a downed opponent by plunging a pair of knives into his eyes amped up the violence scale this time around.

Setting the battle between the Window and Baron Chau in a fun house was a nice touch. Chau probably did not qualify for that final ride because she no longer met the minimum height requirement.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Big action. Bigger surprises.

bajielightson.jpg

I was surprised by Bajie’s resurrection, courtesy of a little leftover magic from Ankara. I was also surprised by the Master’s demise, and even more surprised that her real name was Ada. I had expected her to recover and be available for the final battle against Pilgrim, who incidentally, answered to Taurin back in the Azra glory days, when Sunny was Sanzo.

Not so surprising was the revelation that Sunny’s big sister, Kannin, is alive. That’s convenient, as she is the sole person who can unlock Sanzo’s special, mega-super-powerful Gift, which is certain to be needed in the series finale.

Sunny, Kannin and Bajoie vs. the Black Lotus in the chain chamber was the biggest, baddest battle royale of the series – so far. The Disturbed cover of the Simon and Garfunkel hit, “Sound of Silence,” gave the final few minutes of the episode a real power push.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter

Nooooooo! Not Bajie!

Despite the closeup of what appeared to be Bajie’s final breaths, there’s a slim chance that he may survive being run though by a Black Lotus swordsman.

If not, what are the remaining episodes going to do for comic relief with Bajie gone? None of the other characters have shown a sense of humor, unless they were playing off Bajie. I’ll miss you, Bajie.

Ankara, the sarcastic, all-powerful mad witch, also made a blah exit. Even with the acupuncture-immobilizing needle removed, she was defeated by a couple of chains, gift-deactivated and skewered.

Especially disappointing was the Pilgrim’s beatdown of the Master. I’m hoping that, even in victory, the fight drained the Pilgrim enough that a rematch with the Master will end in defeat.

He seemed to lose a little more of his stamina with every “Dark One” sleeper he revived. The Gift appears to be, as the Master warned, consuming him from within. Bleeding from the eyes is not a sign of robust health.

M.K. seems to have gone completely over to the dark side. His execution of a downed opponent by plunging a pair of knives into his eyes amped up the violence scale this time around.

Setting the battle between the Window and Baron Chau in a fun house was a nice touch. Chau probably did not qualify for that final ride because she no longer met the minimum height requirement.
I agree totally with your summation, especially about where it is all going. And if Asra was a rebuilt city, then that surely negates the idea that it was the whole world before the fall, though not that the "Gift" caused the fall itself. The Master made some cryptic comments in this about them failing to be able to resurrect Asra, but I'm afraid they were too cryptic for me. Also, if the "Gift" in Pilgrim is "unnatural" and failing then that means it cannot be the gene therapy that we postulated earlier. It really wouldn't make it natural whether you were born with it, or were given it later. I thought I understood what was going on, but now I've no idea. The comic relief is indeed going to be a problem, because those that are left are very serious.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
Big action. Bigger surprises.

I was surprised by Bajie’s resurrection, courtesy of a little leftover magic from Ankara. I was also surprised by the Master’s demise, and even more surprised that her real name was Ada. I had expected her to recover and be available for the final battle against Pilgrim, who incidentally, answered to Taurin back in the Azra glory days, when Sunny was Sanzo.

Not so surprising was the revelation that Sunny’s big sister, Kannin, is alive. That’s convenient, as she is the sole person who can unlock Sanzo’s special, mega-super-powerful Gift, which is certain to be needed in the series finale.

Sunny, Kannin and Bajoie vs. the Black Lotus in the chain chamber was the biggest, baddest battle royale of the series – so far. The Disturbed cover of the Simon and Garfunkel hit, “Sound of Silence,” gave the final few minutes of the episode a real power push.
There was a lot of exposition packed into this episode. (There has probably been too much back-story over the last few episodes - it is required, but why all of it at once?) I also don't like the now they are dead, now they are alive again. In addition, this resurrection makes the "Gift" more magic than the explanation we were discussing.

That map must have had twenty or so Black Lotus outposts. I saw about twenty or thirty in the fight. If they all turn out to meet them in the series finale then Pilgrim's "dark army" will be met by 19 x 30 = 570. That will be some fight scene.