Who is Alain?

Reading over some notes... trying to brush up before I start reading the next book... found this and thought I would throw it out there to see what you guys think:

Found in TBS page 615pp

"Henri's own words had condemned him. 'You don't think I'm Lavastine's son,' Alain had cried. Henri hadn't hesitated: 'Nay, and why should I?'"

I've said this once... I'll say it again... Henri KNOWS! (Damn that man for not telling us. ;) )

LOL
Tar and feather him!

I hope Henri knows... He seems to be the only one around who might...
If Alain is a demi-god or half angel and henri knows... Why does he "command"(used loosely in reference to father and son type of relationships) Alain the way he does... Why does Henri get upset and disappointed by Alain being named heir? Hanri's attitude and actions are one reason I feel the way I do about Alain...

I agree, Henri knows... at the least he knows more then he has said sofar... If Alain was something other then mortal... Unless Henri IS Alain's father and his mother some diety.... I dont think he would command Alain the way he does... Or treat Alain the way he did on thier visit...

**warning far fetched crazy idea**
What if Henri raped Alain's mother... guilt ridden by what he has done, when he finds out Alain's mother died in child birth, he agreed to foster the child until he was fit for the church... Henri then puts all his hopes for making up for what he did, on Alain going to the church...

I got a bunch of half baked ideas... most of them could be a possibility... some of them make this idea seem perfectly reasonable... LOL So in that perspective... this idea is relatively good. LOL

What if Henri raped Alain's mother... guilt ridden by what he has done, when he finds out Alain's mother died in child birth, he agreed to foster the child until he was fit for the church... Henri then puts all his hopes for making up for what he did, on Alain going to the church...
Henri doesn't seem the type... but I had this idea while reading your post... what if Henri and Rose decided to meet up at the Ruins. Rose beats him up there and when Henri got up there he found that she was being raped... Right in the middle of being raped... Guilty ridden that he was late, therefore letting the shaded Aoi get her pregnant, he take the boy and fosters him. (And that isn't from the book 6 either)

And the idea is relatively good... ;)

Alright... half way done with book 6 and I have a new theory on who Alain is... *snickers* happens everytime I read one of her books...

But I will not say a word here on this thread...

I will say this... I think it's obvious now...

I am finding less and less interest in the other characters in this book. Last night I skipped ahead to two chapters so I could read about Alain. Now I have to go back and read the dull fare between. I am growing increasingly tired of the religious backdrop that seems to get mentioned every other sentence....

Which book are you in Lacey?

And the religious references bores me too! I skipped a lot the first time I read through them and found that I actually might need them for the puzzle, so I reread every sentence the second time through... still I don't think every piece of information is needed.

I am still reading the third book.... Harry Potter got in the way. :)

The religious theme seems really repetetive, though I hope it has some relevence later in the story. I simply love Alain.

By book 5 you will see where the religion starts to become a factor and you start to see why but you still don't know why.

I like the Burning Stone because of Liath and Sanglant (the sex god)...

The Child of Flame is a very good book for the characters, especially for Alain!

You don't know that! Especially if your going by someone's comments on the forum. You need to read... it's very interesting at the end of TBS... very interesting indeed...

And the more I think about it now... I'm very sure I know who Alain is...

Alain dies? *pfft* I would prolly stop reading at that point... he he

PM me with your idea of who alain is... Dont worry bout spoilers, I wont be able to get the book for a little while...

I have a new theory on who Alain is... this might be a spoiler because part of the information I'm using comes from In The Ruins... so I will list this as a spoiler post.

*************************SPOILER*************************

I know there is something special about Alain. I have always believed he can't be just human. From what I have read in the first 5 books I gathered he had to be from the upper spheres or 1/2 god. I'm supposing that he would have to be higher in the spheres than Liath, but not of magically essence. He performs miracles, his thoughts and actions are pure, & he has a charismtic charm about him that people would follow him to ends of the earth or they are like Tallia and fear him for the sins that they have done. It's an either or situation. There's something very special about Alain. I think we can all agree with that.

So here are my thoughts:

I think the story in King's Dragon are true. I think Rose was raped by the shaded prince. He may have promised her riches and to make her a queen, it's very possible. But the shaded prince is caught between earth and the out cast (or the Lost Ones in Exile). A place called the aether.

In the book In The Ruins the definition of the aether is explained by Liath to a small group of Sanglant's followers:

"The aether is part of the universe that lies within and beyound the upper spheres. It's one of the five elements. The others are air, water, fire, and earth. Aether is the most rarified and pure. Unlike theothers, it is untainted by darkness. Beyond theupper spheres, so teh scholars teach, exist only aether, nothing else." She hesitated and, hearing no further questions, continued. "All the Ashioi were flung into the aether with their land, all except those who were not actually in their homeland at the time. These other Ashioi were plulled halfway forests and trails of Earth for vcenturies as elves who shot poison darts at any person unlucky enough to stumble across them." Pg 65 HB

I believe that Alain is 1/2 Aether... not necessarily Aio, but aether.

Let me list things out on why I think this:
1) Alain can see he shaded Aio in KD and in TBS.
2) The shaded Aio tells Alain that he is marked and is puzzled by it.
3) Alain can speak to the Aio (and it's full explained in book 6 about Blessing's ability to do so too and if any are curious about the details and want to know them I will list them out later, just need to ask)
4) The Diamone list to Alain (King's Dragon with Lavastine). Any creature made of the aether Alain would be able to talk with and have some voice over... like the diamones.
5) The time he went mad at the end of book 5 (The Gathering Storm). When all he saw was fire... he was witnessing the return of the Aoi and the aether was broken, no longer existed after that. This is fully explained in Book 6 and makes perfect sense to my why Alain went crazy during the time he was caged up.
***** SPOILER*******
There is so much more... the only issue is that the whole of book 6 really explains this and connects Alain to Blessing. Blessing is much like Alain because she drank jurna's milk... milk from the spheres. Very important detail. When Blessing was sick at the end of The Gathering Storm it wasn't related to Liath... it was related to the coming back of the Aoi but her connection to the aether wasn't as strong as Alains so she didn't go mad. (I still don't have a clue on why she grew so fast)
Anyways... the more I ponder about book 6, the more I'm convinced this is what Alain is...
People asked Alain point blank (on several different occasions) who his father was... he always siad he didn't know who provided the seed, nor did he care, but he called two men father, Lavastine and Henri. Henri doesn't know who Alains' father is, btw. He just loved Rose.

Anyways... there ya go. Any questions? Any comments? Any disagreements?
Ask away...

You've almost persuaded me, although I just don't know if I can believe that or not. I am still trying to recover from finding out he isn't the son of God or something grand like that. I hope Kate goes into it more and doesn't think she can just leave us hanging even if she did narrow it down more a great deal. Finally Henri confided his secret I waould have added a name to my "Must Die" list if he had kept Alain (and me) in the dark.

Your an intelligent young man... you'll see the light soon enough. Teasing!

Like I said... it's a theory... the more I think of it the more I like it and it fits...

Also... I will be very sore if we aren't told who he is...

Have you read the book yet Jaxom?

Alright, I just thought of another reason why Alain is part aether... When Liath is able to pick him up at and drop him off, twice in The Child of Flame ~ for anyone who has read the books, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about... Would he have been able to do such a thing, meet with Li'at'dano if he was fully human?

Something else I just thought of too... Alain walked the seven spheres on earth twice, much like Liath does the Child of Flame. Okay... my thoughts are clear, but I don't know exactly how to phrase it... I mention in Kate's website about the seven sphere walking on earth... I'll see if I can find the information and post here it too...
My thoughts were that Alain was walking the seven spheres and he did so twice, once in the present time and once in the past, he had to be doing so for a reason... The seven spheres is a link between earth and heaven, the aether.

Last edited:
Here's that piece about Alain and the spheres from Kate's website:

I had this thought about the ladder, Liath and Alian. As Liath is walking the ladder in the sphere above Earth, I believe Alian is walking the ladder on Earth. Kinda obvious since that's what we have all been discussing on this thread.
My other thought was to list out the steps that Alian takes and see what all you guys think or can add more. For some of the steps I believe there could be more than one, just like Liath when she was battling Sanglant in the Sphere of Jedu and she kept fighting and dying over and over.
Here I go:
1. Rose: The rose he receives from the Lady of Battles, and the mark on his face at the end of book 5.
2. Sword: The help he recieves from the Lady of Battles, and fighting the Aio when he saves Adica in the cave.
3. Cup: The water he drinks from Li'at'dano, and when he mentions something about having enough food for the Lions after he is stepped down from being Count. (I know that one is a stretch, but if there isn't enough food at one moment and then all of sudden there is plenty is would seem boundless right?)
4. Ring: The armband he received as a token from the dead Queens.
5. Throne of virtue: Now someone can take this two ways, I remember someone mentioning that this could be when he is married to Tallia and they never do anything, which I can see that. But then I thought of the dead Queens and how they wanted his virginity. I remember Alain took Adica to the cave where the dead Queens gave him the armband and she felt the Queens inside her when Alian was with her. Throne - Queens, Virtue - giving it up. I know a stretch.
6. Wisdom's Scepter: When Alian has knowledge of why the Aio were cast out, also this wisdom could represent what Henri is going to share with him in the last book about who he is and his destiny.
7. Crown: Several times in different books people have seen Alian with a crown of stars, the Lion that was near death with Ivar's group, Horn, during Adica's time, tells Alian that she sees his crown that shines brighter than the stars, etc..

It appears to me that Alian goes through this ladder twice, once during Adica's time and once during his own time.
All these other miracles, healings and affinity for animals and people I believe are all part of his being, who he is, his heredity from his parents.

http://p199.ezboard.com/fkateelliottfrm3.showMessageRange?topicID=328.topic&start=21&stop=40

And for any one who doesn't remember the The Seven Ladders known to the mage:

"By this ladder the mage ascends:
First to the rose, whose touch is healing.
Then to the sword, which grants us strength.
Third is the cup of boundless waters.
Fourth is the blacksmith's ring of fire.
The throne of virtue follows fifth.
Wisdom's scepter marks the sixth.
At the highest rung seek the crown of stars.
The song of power revealed." - Kate Elliott

I always suspected it was a long the lines of that. But that is just how he is concieved. The question is what is his purpose?

Back