Pick a Dick

J-Sun

Here's a nearly pointless thread: there are ten PKD books I don't have and haven't read that I don't have no interest in (if you see what I'm saying - not a double negative) and I figured people could argue over what the best one of this otherwise completely not-set-ical set of books is. :) I do not intend to read all PKD - in fact I'm kind of burnt on what I have read - but if I were to pick up just one more which should it be?

The Cosmic Puppets (1957)
Counter-Clock World (1967)
The Crack in Space (1966)
The Man Who Japed (1956)
Now Wait for Last Year (1966)
The Penultimate Truth (1964)
The Simulacra (1964)
Vulcan's Hammer (1960)
We Can Build You (1972)
The World Jones Made (1956)

Echo "The Simulcra", "The World Jones Made" is also quite interesting. I really like these Dick books, more than I like things like Ubik and Valis, because they're really tight and efficient. I don't think any on that list is quite up there with, say, The Game-Players of Titan or Clans of the Alphane Moon.

If you enjoyed The Man in the High Castle at all I would probably suggest The Simulacra.

I did - it's not my favorite and I actually didn't much care for it the first time I read it but I gave it another try and liked it more.

Echo "The Simulcra", "The World Jones Made" is also quite interesting. I really like these Dick books, more than I like things like Ubik and Valis, because they're really tight and efficient. I don't think any on that list is quite up there with, say, The Game-Players of Titan or Clans of the Alphane Moon.

I do love Ubik but I know what you mean - Titan had some aspects that I liked but it's really Alphane that sticks out as being not-much-talked-about but oddly interesting.

Okay - thanks for the comments: Simulacra in the lead, and we'll see if it stands uncontested or if someone else wants to argue for another contender. :)

Here's a nearly pointless thread: there are ten PKD books I don't have and haven't read that I don't have no interest in (if you see what I'm saying - not a double negative) and I figured people could argue over what the best one of this otherwise completely not-set-ical set of books is. :) I do not intend to read all PKD - in fact I'm kind of burnt on what I have read - but if I were to pick up just one more which should it be?

The Cosmic Puppets (1957)
Counter-Clock World (1967)
The Crack in Space (1966)
The Man Who Japed (1956)
Now Wait for Last Year (1966)
The Penultimate Truth (1964)
The Simulacra (1964)
Vulcan's Hammer (1960)
We Can Build You (1972)
The World Jones Made (1956)
Now wait for last year is a favorite in all k dick for me

Wow, blast from the past. I'd forgotten about this thread.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the Chrons!

We Can Build You is a crazy ride. Like when someone builds a sentient Lincoln robot and the competitors build a Booth robot to take care of him...