Star Trek: Discovery - new series in 2017

Very interesting seeing the reactions to the show now. A few people are still miffed about the look of the Klingons and/or the CBS price tag, but for the most part this series is being universally praised by all true fans of Star Trek. Basically, the show is amazing.

Not surprising: STD has been a complete success for them. The biggest cash cow CBS has seen in years!

And they need something since NCIS is on it's last legs. I would love for there to be more Star Trek Series on CBSAA. If NCIS and Chicago can do it. Why not Star Trek?

Sadly true. :(

I can't believe they're even going to try having NCIS without Abby!!
I quit as soon as Weatherly walked. Highly disappointed with Bull too. I get that he wanted to do something else, but the elevator scenes with him coming into work first thing in the morning was some of my favorite scenes. I literally tuned in just to see what antics he got into. I couldn't care less about the cases most of the time. Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo is one of the greatest secondary characters in TV history. Right along-side Spock.

I really like Bull. I knew it wouldn't work, though - too cerebral. Yet, it did get a second season!

Definitely!

My problem was I expected Anthony DiNozzo's charm and comedy and we get none of that with Bull at least in the pilot that I saw.

My problem was I expected Anthony DiNozzo's charm and comedy and we get none of that with Bull at least in the pilot that I saw.

No, Bull is definitely far more "laid back" a character than DiNozzo. I think the actor was looking to play a character completely different from Tony.

No, Bull is definitely far more "laid back" a character than DiNozzo. I think the actor was looking to play a character completely different from Tony.

Just saw this on Discovery facebook page. It perfectly sums up all the criticism this show has received for the past six weeks:

Week #1: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because the show is on a pay service."

Week #2: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because the show is too dark and the writing/acting/technology/plot/tribble are all dumb."

Week #3: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because the cast had the audacity to kneel."

Week #4: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because the show dared show a black Vulcan, a gay couple, and someone drop the F-bomb."

Week #5: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because we can't figure out how to get it to stream properly."

Not surprising: STD has been a complete success for them. The biggest cash cow CBS has seen in years!

Do you have some statistics to back this up? It would seem that at least a this point a show couldn't be more lucrative on "all-access" than on over the air. If it were really strong I'd expect it to migrate to over the air TV.

Week #4: "We must bash CBS, CBS All Access, Star Trek Discovery, and anyone else who might be remotely connected with the show and swear to walk away from the franchise forever because the show dared show a black Vulcan, a gay couple, and someone drop the F-bomb."

errrrrm - wasn't Tuvok black and one of the Dax symbiotes alluded to a 'gay' relationship?

But seriously the only 'new' stuff Discovery did that might insult people that Star Trek hasn't done before is say the F word and who doesn't say that or hear that in their personal lives. Every other thing that Discovery did to piss off the racists, Trek has done before.

The problem with the f-word was it was so childishly done. It did nothing to enhance the character or the plot or the verisimilitude. They did it to say 'Look what we can do online.' I expect everyone was tittering about it after they filmed it and the girl that plays Tilly was probably quite red-faced when it aired.

Do you have some statistics to back this up? It would seem that at least a this point a show couldn't be more lucrative on "all-access" than on over the air. If it were really strong I'd expect it to migrate to over the air TV.

From the above link:

"The new installment of a decades-favorite franchise premiered at the end of Sept. on CBS Television Network’s digital subscription streaming service, breaking their single-day record for new subscriber sign-ups. ."

I have seen other wrote-ups that have lauded the success - viewership-wise and monetarily - of the show.

It won't "migrate to on air TV", because its purpose is to drive people to All Access. Moving it to regular TV would defeat that purpose. I think CBS believes streaming services are the future (and I agree with them), and they want to be out front. From the very start, this show was never intended for anything but CBSAA, and will remain there, no matter how successful it becomes.

:)

From the above link:

"The new installment of a decades-favorite franchise premiered at the end of Sept. on CBS Television Network’s digital subscription streaming service, breaking their single-day record for new subscriber sign-ups. ."

I have seen other wrote-ups that have lauded the success - viewership-wise and monetarily - of the show.

It won't "migrate to on air TV", because its purpose is to drive people to All Access. Moving it to regular TV would defeat that purpose. I think CBS believes streaming services are the future (and I agree with them), and they want to be out front. From the very start, this show was never intended for anything but CBSAA, and will remain there, no matter how successful it becomes.

Ill wait till it comes out on dvd.

From the above link:

Basically with the renewal announcement CBSAA is probably third largest streaming service in America. Netflix 1. HBO Go 2. CBSAA 3.
I'm not sure about Hulu or Amazon but they seem like less popular streaming services for originals. Despite Handmaid's Tale success and Amazon's best efforts. I have amazon prime but the last show I watched from there was like 5 years ago.

Those three are the most subscriptions I see talked about when I ask people what they subscribe to. I hardly ever hear someone worship Hulu or Amazon TV shows. In fact I see Starz more than Hulu or Amazon.

Back