Star Trek: Discovery - new series in 2017

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on regular tv and thus have the largest viewing audiences possible?:unsure:

They probably talked to some Star Trek "fans" and got scared off having it on the network!

(I've had the CBS subscription service for almost 2 years now. It's quite worth the $5.99 a month!)

They probably talked to some Star Trek "fans" and got scared off having it on the network!

(I've had the CBS subscription service for almost 2 years now. It's quite worth the $5.99 a month!)

But there is one thing is true of Trek, It has sizable built in audiences. I just don't see necessity of doing that. , if this ends up being a good series , then it will prosper.

@Cathbad You are completely (and maybe deliberately for fun) missing the point that @BAYLOR and I have been trying to make here. It isn't about quality, or preferences, but rather about sound business and market share.

I myself, role-play online as Captain of a Kirk-era Star Trek ship. I have done for 15 years. It is great, and I love that era, but the younger members that I role play with never grew up with the original TV series. Some have not seen them all (never mind seen them all more than once, until they can remember actual lines verbatim from them.) They all grew up watching Voyager and the Abrams films. I just don't see how you and CBS can be so confident that this is going to be a big hit with those current audiences. Being pay-per-view limits the audience within the USA, and it means it will sell more slowly outside the USA. Many people will watch it on illegal downloads anyway. Many people who watched the first airing of the original TV series are dead now. The best CBS can hope with a homage is for is a slow burn. The worst is that it completely dives and is cancelled before the end of the series. The latter scenario is what I fear the most. After waiting so very long for a new TV series, a series that fails will mean I might never see another Star Trek series ever again. Yet, as others have pointed out, there is still great potential for exciting new ideas to be tapped into, if only it were set after Voyager instead.

As I have said, the cast seems to have a number of Klingons. My last best hope is that there is a Klingon ship involved in this series and the series can somehow differentiate itself in that way. Until we actually see the series, everything else is speculation.

You are completely (and maybe deliberately for fun) missing the point that @BAYLOR and I have been trying to make here.

No, I understood.

But like I said, I've heard the same thing before every series and movie.

It's like there's some sort of mental block that won't allow most Star Trek fans to simply be happy there's a new Star Trek series/movie coming!

Similar things might have been said about Enterprise, and it did struggle at first and is the reason there hasn't been anything since. I can't see how the "same thing" can have been said about the other series, as they weren't prequels or concurrent series. Anyhow, making TNG, 10 years after the original series, for "grown up" fans and the "next generation," is a little different to 50 years on. A 16 year-old would now be 66. However, this argument seems to have become rather pointless as it is being made anyhow, so I'll leave it to rest until there is an actual script that can be either lauded or criticised, rather than just the concept.

Of course I didn't mean the exact same argument, but criticism in general.

As I said in an earlier post, if the series was based 50 years beyond TNG, "fans" would be complaining. About something. I have yet to see fans happy (in general) about the premise of an upcoming series or movie.

And that confuses me to no end.

I at first thought it disturbing that the above article mentions "shallow pockets"; then I recalled how little actors were paid at the beginning of TNG.

Penny Dreadful alum Shazad Latif is shifting from his previously announced role as Kol, a commanding officer in the Klingon empire, to Lieutenant Tyler, a Starfleet officer in the Federation. The Kol role will now be played by Kenneth Mitchell.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Adds Rekha Sharma, Kenneth Mitchell & More To Cast

That seems really odd. How are they able to swap roles like this if they are supposed to be in the middle of filming the thing? This show seems doomed.

Only one role was swapped. And since they don't film every episode at the same time...

But complainin' is what Star Trek and Star Wars fans do...

;)

Only one role was swapped. And since they don't film every episode at the same time...

But complainin' is what Star Trek and Star Wars fans do...

;)

Now all they have to do is swap into the Kelvin Timeline .:whistle:

But complainin' is what Star Trek and Star Wars fans do... ;)
Maybe you're right that they will always complain about anything and everything, but I still think you miss my own point.

We haven't had a Star Trek TV show since Enterprise was cancelled. For quite a while there were two series running at the same time. On cable and satellite you could have found four Star Trek shows on multiple channels at the same time, but now you are lucky to find any at all. I really want this new series to succeed, because if this series bombs due to it being badly made, either because of a poor concept, poor writing or poor production, then we won't get anymore Star Trek for a very, very long time. I can't see how that can be blamed on the fans.

So, if there is a genuine reason to be critical of the development of this series, then I can't see why fans should be told to remain silent and just be happy.

Are you really happy to accept and watch anything at all the studios produce, so long as they stick "Star Trek" into the title?

Are you really happy to accept and watch anything at all the studios produce, so long as they stick "Star Trek" into the title?

Right here, you make my point. You assume that this series is going to be bad. What "genuine reason to be critical of the development of this series" are you privy to?

I've seen absolutely nothing to be overly critical of. But like I said, it really doesn't matter what the concept or who the actors chosen are, fans would bitterly complain. They always have, and apparently always will.

There have been serious documented production and development problems, usually known as "development hell" if you follow the production of films as I do. It was meant to be on TV already, now it will be pay-for-view at some unspecified date. I don't "assume it will be bad" at all but I'm concerned that it isn't going to be very good. Maybe it is a good thing that it has been delayed and that actors roles have been changed around, because just maybe that does mean that they do care very much about the finished product. We will have to wait and see about that. I don't know. Usually, in the film and TV production, development hell, such as changes of director, main actors, scriptwriters and in the production dates, is not a good sign. Shows can recover from development hell.

We probably disagree, but I continue to dislike the Abrams produced films. I don't like the concept, or the writing, or the finished product. It just isn't Star Trek, but if they can stick "Star Trek" on those then they can stick it on anything.

Last edited:

Back