UFO: Enemy Unknown (XCOM: UFO Defense)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Can't concentrate today, so am playing ye olde 1994 Xcom-1. :)

xcom.jpg

Downloaded it from here, to run on Windows 7:
http://www.old-games.com/getfree/15534

I never played, or was even aware of, this and related games back in the day. Very glad XCOM: Enemy Unknown (originally conceived as some FPS nonsense) got shifted to a tactical game due to fan pressure.

Just hope XCOM 2 comes to consoles...

I loved the old and the new x-com games. Turn based tactical combat is where its at for me. Anyone else like chaos gate? Best warhammer 40k game ever. Though final liberation was also good fun.

Incidentally, it's not for me (PC-only, I think) but Hard West, if I've remembered the name rightly, sounds like a Western sort of XCOM, albeit one that's even less forgiving.

Oh so awesome.

I am a big fan of this game. I actually spent about 6 months playing this very, very hardcore a few years ago to try and "keep" all nations on a perfect game.

Its not actually possible to prevent infiltration missions so you always end up losing funding from at least one country. I never managed a perfect game - I had a game where I defeated the Mars Base on Superhuman without losing funding and I had a game where I had all 10 bases setup and all were making money (laser cannon/heavy laser manufacturing) but I never managed to get all 10 bases up and completely built and defeating the last base before losing at least one countries funding.

Uh-oh! I made the mistake of simply killing everything, thinking I only needed to stun a commander late in the game to get the Mars research projects.

But that means I've missed out on psionics, meaning I now have to storm a large ship full of sectiods and stun the lot, just to get that psionic warrior so that I can get psionics as a research topic...

Hate those Ethereals - always panic or possess my crew as soon as I land near them. Always bad to encounter before psionics have been developed.

However...I realised that when you possess another creature, you can't access their inventory. Same with the aliens. Therefore a way to defeat the Ethereals I've found is for the XCOM units to drop their weapon at the end of each turn.

That way, if that XCOM unit is possessed, the aliens can't do anything with them, except perhaps make them wander about a bit. And if any unit goes beserk, they can't harm their comrades. This is really useful against Ethereals, because they rely on mental attacks more than weapon attacks, so you can get away with it more easily than if you meet Sectoids. The only thing is, to use that strategy, you need to remember to pick up the weapons before moving again. :)

Hate those Ethereals - always panic or possess my crew as soon as I land near them. Always bad to encounter before psionics have been developed.

However...I realised that when you possess another creature, you can't access their inventory. Same with the aliens. Therefore a way to defeat the Ethereals I've found is for the XCOM units to drop their weapon at the end of each turn.

That way, if that XCOM unit is possessed, the aliens can't do anything with them, except perhaps make them wander about a bit. And if any unit goes beserk, they can't harm their comrades. This is really useful against Ethereals, because they rely on mental attacks more than weapon attacks, so you can get away with it more easily than if you meet Sectoids. The only thing is, to use that strategy, you need to remember to pick up the weapons before moving again. :)

It's an interesting strategy but it means that you use precious action points dropping and picking. Me? I always load up with HE auto cannon and rockets. Then I blast every bit of cover in sight. :D

Has anyone here tried a recent (but retro) attempt at this game called Xenonauts?

xeno_terror.jpg

Has anyone here tried a recent (but retro) attempt at this game called Xenonauts?

xeno_terror.jpg

That actually looks pretty decent - is it any good?

Brian:

Yeah Sectoid Medics give Psi research but not always (All race medics give the same research which is normally a random creature analysis but can be Psi). Sectoid Commenders also give Psi research (live).

Another thing to remember is that Sectoids and Ethereals often target the same squad member - even targeting the same one on different missions. They target someone based on morale and bravery (I think) so often they target the same individuals over and over again.

Decent tip is to use grenades with these squad members . (They never throw grenades with MC units).

xeno_terror.jpg

Yes! I played it earlier this year, got completely addicted to it. It's rock hard, which was fine by me. I was also completely addicted to the original X-COM games back in the day, and this is the closest I've come to it since Terror from the Deep. Really wish they'd make a sequel to Xenonauts but apparently their next project is something completely different.

Yes! I played it earlier this year, got completely addicted to it. It's rock hard, which was fine by me. I was also completely addicted to the original X-COM games back in the day, and this is the closest I've come to it since Terror from the Deep. Really wish they'd make a sequel to Xenonauts but apparently their next project is something completely different.
I agree. Xenonauts is excellent but very difficult. My computer has received unprecedented levels of verbal abuse since I bought this game.

I agree. Xenonauts is excellent but very difficult. My computer has received unprecedented levels of verbal abuse since I bought this game.

Only verbal abuse? Mine nearly flew through the (closed) window on several occasions :D

The old XCOM's and Jagged Alliance 2 have in my opinion the most compelling tactical gameplay mechanics of any computer games to date.
Amazing stuff.
Making something on par with them has been a goal of mine since I first played them :D

I may have pre-ordered XCOM 2, coming out on Friday :whistle:

Back