Steven King Book(s) That You Like to see as an Ongoing Tv Series ?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Under The Dome wasn't a bad show and sadly we'll never get to see what season 4 would have done with the concept. The Dead Zone was quite goos and Haven based on a story is quite an tv series. The Stand miniseries was goos as was IT . The Tommy knockers had some pretty good moments.

So what other book(s) by him would you like to see become regular tv series

The Dark Tower books would make a good series. It would need to be on a premium cable channel or Netflix to have the necessary creative freedom.

My personal observations or opinions:

• Really, only the Dark Tower stuff could be made into a series (or three).
  • Under the Dome is appalling and should have been given one season only, and just followed the book. It could have done quite well instead of this mindless sprawling mass of randomness that it has become.
  • The Dead Zone - I get the idea of it being a series that drills down on the abilities of the psychic but I've avoided it so I'm not sure if it works. I think the movie is supremely good because it is so precise, tidy, and the drawstring ending is a delight to watch. The book isn't about the man and his skill, it's about something bigger. A series can't really do that so well because themes and story dilute over seasons (look at Falling Skies).
  • The Stand - I'm in a complete minority here, and I totally understand that, but my reaction to the mere mention of the title is <yawn>. It's my least favourite King novel.
  • The Shining - I could imagine a nice little one-off season on the Overlook, discovering stories of the grounds over the centuries.
  • Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, etc - with the exception of Nightmares and Dreamscapes, his shorts stories have been rarely visited. I think each anthology split up into a story per week would be great.
  • Remakes - I'd be against any unnecessary remakes. I'd suggest The Tommyknockers should be done properly - in fact, would have worked well if they'd dovetailed it into Under the Dome - but It and the first Salem's Lot series are pretty perfect just as they are, thank you. I'm glad the remake of It was dropped; it's a shame more creators don't display Carl F's unflinching commitment to his vision, instead of kow-towing to studio lunatic suggestions.
pH

Last edited:
I stopped Under the Dome after two episodes, and I was excited for it. The Stand Mini-series was fun, but I still haven't read the book. I loved 'It'.

I would really like Phyre's idea of the short story anthology style show. That would be amazing. His shorts are so good.

Salem's lot was pretty good, although the changed some stuff and merged some characters.

For new things, I would like to see Joyland as a mini-series. The book was actually really good. Duma Key was a great book, but not sure if they could turn that into a season of TV.

For the most part though, TV sucks, and movies suck. Books are so superior that anything made from King's books is going to pale in comparison.

Haven has done well as a tv series. :)

The Dark Tower books would make a good series. It would need to be on a premium cable channel or Netflix to have the necessary creative freedom.

Welcome to Chons :). I agree this would make an incredible cable tv series . (y)

Thank you, Baylor.

By your avatar I get the impression that you've read Conan and all of REH wonderful stories. :cool:We've got more then a few threads about Howard, Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.:)

Last edited:
Maybe a Tommy knockers ongoing tv series? :)

There is an article on Cinemablend this morning about a possible casting of Idris Elba as Roland. More or less speculation at this point, like Matthew McConaughey being cast as the Man In Black. It's nice to see more discussion on it after such a long time in development hell. Hopefully they won't screw the Dark Tower up and we'll be able to see it in our lifetimes.

There is an article on Cinemablend this morning about a possible casting of Idris Elba as Roland. More or less speculation at this point, like Matthew McConaughey being cast as the Man In Black. It's nice to see more discussion on it after such a long time in development hell. Hopefully they won't screw the Dark Tower up and we'll be able to see it in our lifetimes.

Now that I would like to see. (y)

The Eyes of the Dragon. They could get a greater limited 10 part series out this book. :cool:

@BAYLOR I do not believe there is enough material for 10 hours. Four hours yes, 10 hours no. I would love to see it though.

I have two other thoughts on Kings Works that could be miniseries. First, Hearts in Atlantis. I think the opening section of the book could be three or maybe four hours. If the remaining four sections would be one or two hours apiece. And I would love to see different actors take the roles of characters at different stages in their lives.

The second work of Kings that might work would be The Long Walk. I think the long walk could be two hours. But they could do five subsequent seasons of the long walk, or prequel’s. Every two episodes with highlight one story of the walk.

But I have never been in involved in the production of a television nor a movie. I don’t know what’s involved.

Eyes of the Dragon is a kind of prequel to the Dark Tower series. So if you included that, there would easily be several seasons of material.

I have not read The Dark Tower series, but I think the first story of Hearts in Atlantis ties in to it.