Steven King Book(s) That You Like to see as an Ongoing Tv Series ?

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by BAYLOR, Oct 25, 2015.

1. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Under The Dome wasn't a bad show and sadly we'll never get to see what season 4 would have done with the concept. The Dead Zone was quite goos and Haven based on a story is quite an tv series. The Stand miniseries was goos as was IT . The Tommy knockers had some pretty good moments.

So what other book(s) by him would you like to see become regular tv series

2. biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

The Stand would make a good series with a few seasons.

3. BAYLOR

They could get at least 7 seasons out it.:)

4. Frost Giant

Frost Giant Well-Known Member

The Dark Tower books would make a good series. It would need to be on a premium cable channel or Netflix to have the necessary creative freedom.

Phyrebrat likes this.
  5. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Welcome to chronicles, Frost Giant. :)

6. Frost Giant

Thank you, Brian, good to be here.

7. Phyrebrat

Phyrebrat ba-Ba-ba-brat

My personal observations or opinions:

• Really, only the Dark Tower stuff could be made into a series (or three).
    • Under the Dome is appalling and should have been given one season only, and just followed the book. It could have done quite well instead of this mindless sprawling mass of randomness that it has become.
    • The Dead Zone - I get the idea of it being a series that drills down on the abilities of the psychic but I've avoided it so I'm not sure if it works. I think the movie is supremely good because it is so precise, tidy, and the drawstring ending is a delight to watch. The book isn't about the man and his skill, it's about something bigger. A series can't really do that so well because themes and story dilute over seasons (look at Falling Skies).
    • The Stand - I'm in a complete minority here, and I totally understand that, but my reaction to the mere mention of the title is <yawn>. It's my least favourite King novel.
    • The Shining - I could imagine a nice little one-off season on the Overlook, discovering stories of the grounds over the centuries.
    • Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, etc - with the exception of Nightmares and Dreamscapes, his shorts stories have been rarely visited. I think each anthology split up into a story per week would be great.
    • Remakes - I'd be against any unnecessary remakes. I'd suggest The Tommyknockers should be done properly - in fact, would have worked well if they'd dovetailed it into Under the Dome - but It and the first Salem's Lot series are pretty perfect just as they are, thank you. I'm glad the remake of It was dropped; it's a shame more creators don't display Carl F's unflinching commitment to his vision, instead of kow-towing to studio lunatic suggestions.
    pH

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. ratsy

ratsy www.scifiexplorations.com

I stopped Under the Dome after two episodes, and I was excited for it. The Stand Mini-series was fun, but I still haven't read the book. I loved 'It'.

I would really like Phyre's idea of the short story anthology style show. That would be amazing. His shorts are so good.

Salem's lot was pretty good, although the changed some stuff and merged some characters.

For new things, I would like to see Joyland as a mini-series. The book was actually really good. Duma Key was a great book, but not sure if they could turn that into a season of TV.

For the most part though, TV sucks, and movies suck. Books are so superior that anything made from King's books is going to pale in comparison.

Phyrebrat likes this.
  9. BAYLOR

Haven has done well as a tv series. :)

10. BAYLOR

Welcome to Chons :). I agree this would make an incredible cable tv series . (y)

11. Frost Giant

Thank you, Baylor.

12. BAYLOR

By your avatar I get the impression that you've read Conan and all of REH wonderful stories. :cool:We've got more then a few threads about Howard, Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.:)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. Frost Giant

I am a big fan of Lovecraft and I do like Howard's work as well.

14. BAYLOR

Maybe a Tommy knockers ongoing tv series? :)

15. Frost Giant

There is an article on Cinemablend this morning about a possible casting of Idris Elba as Roland. More or less speculation at this point, like Matthew McConaughey being cast as the Man In Black. It's nice to see more discussion on it after such a long time in development hell. Hopefully they won't screw the Dark Tower up and we'll be able to see it in our lifetimes.

BAYLOR likes this.
  16. BAYLOR

Now that I would like to see. (y)