Why Has No one in Hollywood Tried to adapt any of Banks Culture Novels ?

Discussion in 'Iain M Banks' started by BAYLOR, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Dave Barsby

Dave Barsby Writer of word-blocks

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Earlier Rodders said they didn't think Banks would want his books to get the Hollywood treatment, but he was in fact the opposite. His actual words were: "As long as they have the the fight under the hovercraft and the ship crashing into the ice wall I don't mind if everyone skips off into the sunset hand-in-hand at the end."

2. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Hollywood executives and even some producers and directors are incapable of recognizing a good story when it's handed to them . They think they can do it better .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Well-Known Member

A good book rarely makes a good movie without significant rewrites. Banks' novels are probably too long and complex to adapt easily, without cutting out a fair amount.

4. BAYLOR

Maybe a tv series then ?:)

5. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would make more sense to me.

6. BAYLOR

Considering the level of complexity of his books, that would be the ideal format.:)

7. Secher_Nbiw

Secher_Nbiw Member

To be honest, the only way to translate them to screen intact would be if they were almost inaccessible to newcomers. They're too complex. and largely introspective to get right, and a Hollywood treatment would leave you with something akin to Legend of the Seeker, so devoid of anything relatable to the source material it would be a shell for some vapid monomyth story.

8. RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

Several Culture books, especially Use of Weapons, would not work in a different medium. Phlebas could, but only if you either discard a lot of subtlety or turn it into a miniseries with a LOT of exposition.

Has anyone seen the movie versions of the Crow Road and Complicity?

9. Secher_Nbiw

Secher_Nbiw Member

The Crow Road BBC mini series was quite well done, I thought. Haven't seen Complicity though, any good?

10. RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it. Different title. Stars Johnny Lee Miller.

11. Dave Barsby

Dave Barsby Writer of word-blocks

I've got Complicity. Just comes across as barely more than your average TV movie

12. RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

I wasn't that taken with Crow Road, either. I love the book, but the series is more like an after school special. The characters read edgier than become. The main character reads like Case in Neuromancer, but seems like the boyfriend in Modern Family when put on TV.