The dangers of running naked into self publishing.

anthorn

Okay. I may be wrong but I don't think that I am that wrong. Maybe slightly off the mark. In recent years there have been attempts by a few authors to make self publishing more respectable in the book buyers eyes. These brave folks are combatting the image that we're all Staneks trying to make a quick buck without any real thought at all.

This is my view and possibly rules. I haven't decided yet. I'm capturing thoughts as they happen.

1) IMAGE IS EVERYTHING.
When you're self publishing your work it is important to get the image correct. And no I don't mean dressing it up in jeans and leather jackets. I mean getting your work as near perfect as can be. This is MORE IMPORTANT when you have samples on the previews on Amazon Kindle or on other sites. A reader wants to lose themselves in your world. They do not want to spend time being hit over the head with silly mistakes like head hopping and misspelt words. Sentence structure is a must. I admit I have trouble with punctuation, especially, : ; but I've improved with help from this board and just practice. Check out my work on this forum. You can see a vast improvement in my writing ability.

Stuff like cutting sentences in half like this. He was going to go to the Gym. And work on his abs, should not happen. It's sort of beginners class. Now I'm not saying that no one who has been writing consistently no longer makes this mistake, it happens, but IT NEVER HAPPENS WHEN YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. No author who is serious about self publishing or having a writing career, sends out unedited samples with grammar mistakes as proof as to why people should buy their book. People are going to read this and judge you for it. If your image is shabby then they're going to exchange you for a shiny new watch. People will forgive the occasional wrong use of ; or : or , but they will not forgive the mistaking of Their for they're or fullstops in the middle of a sentence.

DO NOT SEEK TO CROWDFUND YOUR WORK when you haven't even edited your book, or written it yet. Here is how I would do it. Write book. Edit book. redraft book. Edit book again. Wait. Edit book. Redraft book. Edit book. Pay someone to make a cover, or make it myself. Release on Amazon Kindle. Sell books. Thank people for reading books. Use that money earned to self publish in paper format.

Crowdfunding to self publish your book is the wrong way to go about it. I can understand if it's an established author with a fan base who has been dropped by their House, but not when it's a new author starting out. With an established author, you know they're going to finish their book because they have a fan base to lose. With a new author you've no fan base to lose and have running to all the forums commenting on how you took their money and ran.

This is my opinion and my belief.

Okay. I may be wrong but I don't think that I am that wrong. Maybe slightly off the mark. In recent years there have been attempts by a few authors to make self publishing more respectable in the book buyers eyes. These brave folks are combatting the image that we're all Staneks trying to make a quick buck without any real thought at all.

This is my view and possibly rules. I haven't decided yet. I'm capturing thoughts as they happen.

1) IMAGE IS EVERYTHING.
When you're self publishing your work it is important to get the image correct. And no I don't mean dressing it up in jeans and leather jackets. I mean getting your work as near perfect as can be. This is MORE IMPORTANT when you have samples on the previews on Amazon Kindle or on other sites. A reader wants to lose themselves in your world. They do not want to spend time being hit over the head with silly mistakes like head hopping and misspelt words. Sentence structure is a must. I admit I have trouble with punctuation, especially, : ; but I've improved with help from this board and just practice. Check out my work on this forum. You can see a vast improvement in my writing ability.

Stuff like cutting sentences in half like this. He was going to go to the Gym. And work on his abs, should not happen. It's sort of beginners class. Now I'm not saying that no one who has been writing consistently no longer makes this mistake, it happens, but IT NEVER HAPPENS WHEN YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. No author who is serious about self publishing or having a writing career, sends out unedited samples with grammar mistakes as proof as to why people should buy their book. People are going to read this and judge you for it. If your image is shabby then they're going to exchange you for a shiny new watch. People will forgive the occasional wrong use of ; or : or , but they will not forgive the mistaking of Their for they're or fullstops in the middle of a sentence.

DO NOT SEEK TO CROWDFUND YOUR WORK when you haven't even edited your book, or written it yet. Here is how I would do it. Write book. Edit book. redraft book. Edit book again. Wait. Edit book. Redraft book. Edit book. Pay someone to make a cover, or make it myself. Release on Amazon Kindle. Sell books. Thank people for reading books. Use that money earned to self publish in paper format.

Crowdfunding to self publish your book is the wrong way to go about it. I can understand if it's an established author with a fan base who has been dropped by their House, but not when it's a new author starting out. With an established author, you know they're going to finish their book because they have a fan base to lose. With a new author you've no fan base to lose and have running to all the forums commenting on how you took their money and ran.

This is my opinion and my belief.
On crowd funding, the jury is still out. My book has spent the last three years in the editing process. Is it perfect? Probably not. Without the funds to afford a professional, I enlisted my friends that either teach English, or have in the past. My professional book cover will be ready in a month or two, when I can afford it. It is already set for release on Amazon and create space. Just doing the best with what's available to me to work with.

I have to agree with @anthorn on this issue and I would like to respectfully add that when a new untested author publishes a book it's his or her sole responsibility to get and pay for the necessary editing. The finished product is what the readers are looking for and it's a lot to ask that reader risk their time and money on a new untested author.

Your book or ebook on Amazon or where ever is your crowd funding. The price you put on the ebook or the hard or soft bound are your crowd fund for enabling the move onto the next book. Once you get established and have some readers then perhaps if they really are interested in getting the next in the series or the next out of the great mind; they might be willing to crowd fund another way.

To anyone 'cold' crowd funding (I wish you luck because you will need it).

I almost forgot to mention I love the title::The dangers of running naked into self publishing.::

On crowd funding, the jury is still out. My book has spent the last three years in the editing process. Is it perfect? Probably not. Without the funds to afford a professional, I enlisted my friends that either teach English, or have in the past. My professional book cover will be ready in a month or two, when I can afford it. It is already set for release on Amazon and create space. Just doing the best with what's available to me to work with.

I would suggest your friends who teach English or have in the past were not good at what they do by your samples you posted. You shouldn't have friends edit your book because they're not going to want to hurt your feelings.

Tim. The samples you posted on your Indigogo page and the sample available on Amazon UK have not been edited. Or if they have it's been by someone who doesn't understand the ins and outs. Your book is nowhere near ready to be published. And crowdfunding is the wrong way to go. Like I said, do it through Amazon. Publish it after editing it so you've no longer got head hopping within paragraphs or their instead of they're. So you don't have full stops in the middle of a sentence where it shouldn't be. This goes for everyone not just you. If I was looking for a book and saw errors such as these, I would assume it's just another guy who wants to make a quick buck and cares nothing for the art.

I enlisted my friends that either teach English, or have in the past

From my experience, writers need editors who are familiar with story structure. Otherwise, all you have is people address micro issues, such as grammar and spelling, when bigger technical problems such as POV use, story structure, character development arcs, etc, go untouched.

I have to second the advice above. I read your samples, too, and I think you'll regret publishing now. I did something similar just over a year ago, except I didn't self-pub, but submitted to numerous publishers and agents. I cringe when I look back at the basic mistakes I had in that initial draft, even though I, too, had friends who were teachers check it for me.

A new friend (@Jo Zebedee) pointed me at this forum and I have learned so much about grammar, punctuation, story structure, etc from here by putting samples up for critique. I cannot recommend strongly enough that you hold off publishing until you have these things ironed out. The problem is that basic errors make the book hard to read, even for fairly uncritical readers who are not also authors. Your friends and family will read on and forgive errors, because they are your friends and family, but a reader who has paid good money will not. It will lead to poor reviews which will mean less buyers will take the chance on your next novel, even if that one is pitch-perfect. Mine still isn't, so it won'r be going anywhere for a while yet.

Please believe that we give this advice because we do actually care, even though we don't know you. Too many of us have learned the hard way, and we all try to prevent someone else from making the same mistakes.

8 months is nothing for anything!
Maybe two years for nearly anything. Even starting a business or shop, you want to assume not enough money profit to live on for two years. Starting ANYTHING new, you need about 10,000 hours to be really expert. That's about 14 hours a day, every day!
Few writers even when established and skilled, turn out more than one book a year. The folks that can churn out a best seller every month are very rare indeed.
Probably I can write a very early short draft in about two weeks, if really immersed in it and doing nothing else. However I can write 2K to 12K a day. I'm no James Joyce, perhaps aspire to be an Enid Blyton. :) It would need another month to be at draft to give to a beta reader, and that is working maybe 6 to 10 hours a day, sometimes 16 hours. Perhaps eventually if I have an editor partner, I might be able to publish as fast as 8 months. I doubt it's possible for a new author.
My current binge of writing started 2 years ago, but most of it is from ideas I started writing in 1994, after I wrote (very badly) a novel in 1992-1994. I've been doing technical writing and such since 1979.

Perhaps next year, I MIGHT SP my first Talent Universe novel, started really in 1994, but seriously worked at since May 2014. I'll see how my new Editor gets on with it.

Many people's idea of SP is like the Underpants Gnome theft business plans.

Hi,

Personally I don't know whether crowdfunding is a good or a bad way to go about publishing a book. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about it. And it could be a very useful way to garner some publicity for your book before it gets published. On the otherhand I keep wondering why would someone pay an unknown author to get a book drafted / edited / covered etc? It would seem like a method unlikely to succeed in terms of actually getting the money's needed. Personally I;ve never tried it so can't really comment further.

Cheers, Greg.

"Ever wonder how authors Barbara Cartland, Enid Blyton and Corin Tellado were able to write hundreds to thousands of books?"
Because they were incredible and practised for years. Also did little else. (Actually never heard of "Corin Tellado"). Enid was also expert at applying her more of the same formulas in each of her genres and series.

Edit
It's obviously like flash cards, only 44 pages!
  • How to maintain your writing quality working with the limitation inherent in writing in a day
  • The correct prose to use
  • Which viewpoint works best and how to structure dialogue
  • How to develop characters for a short book or short story
  • How to develop the world and setting
  • The best form of outline for a short story or short book
  • How to use stream of consciousness writing to save time and be more creative
  • Learn to balance flow and focus at the same time
  • How to work with publishers for short stories and short books
  • Best methods to self-publish
  • Quick and effective marketing (more targeted for self-publishers)
  • The categories and genres best suited for short stories and short books
  • Quick and easy ways to edit
  • Tips to keep your writing short and powerful, and so much more!
Despite the hype, it mightn't be bad for the hard of reading. No recipe to instant success, actually Ursula Le Guin says the only recipe is to keep writing!