In the Hot Mists - story from Psekrit Psummer Pstory Psix challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyjet

Western PA High Tech Country Boy
Here's my first 600 or so words from my first ever attempt at a steampunk story. My personal feelings are that it doesn't have enough Victorian atmosphere & that it may not be "steampunkish" enough. I will happily take any and all critiques no matter how severe. Thanks in advance!

In the Hot Mists

It was the best and wildest of times; it was the worst and craziest of times. Steamships filled the river like water lilies and steam-powered air ships filled the sky like an explosion of hot air balloons escaping into the atmosphere. The beginning of the Tenth Annual World Steam and Technology Convention, held near Tilbury, England this year, seventy-five kilometers east of London in a spacious grounds along the River Thames, was most auspicious and wondrous, in a year when the usage of steam-powered ships worldwide accelerated at its most rapid pace yet.

"Steamships aren't just for rivers and seas anymore," thought Andrew Marley as he watched the impressive spectacle in the sky from the watchtower. There had to be at least twenty steam-powered air ships in the sky all at once, all different shapes and sizes, some plain, some ornate, some quite grotesque and complex, all spouting jets of steam from a wide variety of orifices. The scene gave him the impression of ethereal dancers gracefully carving their choreography in the sky.

Andrew was one of the co-founders of this event which has grown steadily over the years since its modest beginning with only a handful of simple steam-powered ships and dirigibles. He was old enough to remember when steam power became more than simply a lone inventor's dream and began proliferating rapidly in industrial and land travel applications, most notably locomotives and automobiles. Now steam power was everywhere, from toy engines to water and air ships, from every kind of industrial and home use and new research and development every year.

He was proud to be at the forefront of this rapidly growing technology. Tall and intimidating, Andrew Marley had a full head of pure white hair and a face that was a portrait of a well-respected and honorable man. He did have his personal shortcomings, like any man, but only his closest acquaintances were aware of those. He always put forth his calm countenance and generous spirit to public scrutiny.

As he reviewed the official convention guest list and schedule of events, he realized that two air ships were missing from the Opening Ceremony. In short order he determined who were missing: Benjamin Bradshaw and Abigail Meany.

Of course one was a woman! No further explanation was necessary. However, Benjamin Bradshaw surprised him. He was the well-known chairman of one of the oldest steam manufacturers in the United States. Why would he not want to participate in this experience? Abigail was probably afraid of being in the sky with so many other air ships, but Benjamin wouldn't have that concern. What other reason could there be?

He checked his pocket watch.

It was time to head down to the main air ship hangar. An introductory meeting with the participants was next on his agenda.

#

Andrew leaned on the podium and looked out over the crowd that had gathered in front of him. His assistant, young Timothy Tyler, fair-haired and scrawny with wire-rimmed spectacles, rushed up and handed him a sheaf of papers.

Timothy said, "One guest has not yet arrived, sir."

"Missing or late?"

"We don't know. No one has heard from her."

Her? Another woman trying to take on a man's role? What was this world coming to?

"Her name is Kerry Stephenson, sir. She's the daughter of a railroad magnate."

Damnation, Kerry! Always the adventurous spirit! When did she decide to pilot an air ship?

"I know her very well. It's not like her to be late. Make some calls and quickly, Timothy."

"Yes, sir."

"Go now. I'll get the festivities started."

Damnation, Kerry! Why do you always make me mad as a hatter?

"Steamships aren't just for rivers and seas anymore," - Said as you have used dialogue tags, not needed for thoughts.

Her? Another woman trying to take on a man's role? What was this world coming to?
"Her name is Kerry Stephenson, sir. She's the daughter of a railroad magnate."
Damnation, Kerry! Always the adventurous spirit! When did she decide to pilot an air ship?
"I know her very well. It's not like her to be late. Make some calls and quickly, Timothy."

One character does not use dialogue tags and the other clearly does, so he must be speaking… yet – the second character seems to answer the first one’s thoughts. Are they telepathic? Or is this a grammar error?

There are a lot of run on sentences being used that didn’t do it for me and I suspect comma splices too.

Use of dialogue tags was inconsistent.

The first section was too controlling of the character. The character looks where the writer wants him to look and helpfully describes the scene for the reader, which felt weak to me. It didn’t feel natural or right. Characters should live on the page, not have them cattle prodded and corralled into contrived scenes.

As above for the first scene, which was heavy on world building etc. The second section was all dialogue. Both sections suffered from not mixing up the tone and style – it was one, then the other. Mix it up more I say, keep the reader on their toes.

Very good use of description and scene setting and a wonderful world vision is being created. My big issue is the distance from the characters which felt very remote and I really didn’t engage because of this.

I won’t go for a Victorian style and I think attempting the Victorian style might be what is causing all the problems here. There is an old world style in the writing set up (or so I think anyway) with a more modern tone, and the two don’t seem to be pulling together for me. My advice – write like JohnnyJet first and foremost and let the dice roll on where that takes you.

There is a lot to like here mate. I’m only pointing out the bad, so remember that now I’ve done. Keep at it. I really liked the idea on show.

It strikes me that there may be an issue with POV use here. To address it I'd strongly recommend you read up on that - Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer is a great all-round book on the technicalities of writing, which should hopefully explain things simply for you.

Thanks for the great critiques, Bowler & Brian. I appreciate you taking the time to review my work.

Atmosphere.
For me, and I'm willing and ready to be wrong about this, Steampunk is an atmosphere like noire is an atmosphere.
Close and mysterious, sci-fiction through the slightly fogged lens of mystery.
This writing has clarity and sunshine at the start. Pulls back and a way to tell about a place rather than reveal it slowly as the world slowly reveals itself on a morning walk through gritty fog.

:)

Atmosphere.

reveal it slowly as the world slowly reveals itself on a morning walk through gritty fog.
:)

That too.

Have a RAY GUN. You too Johnny. Sadly not Brian, who is currently on my "must kill list" - a big list, but clearly, I don't want him armed if I'm trying to kill him - that would be daft.

This is an interesting read.
I'm a fan of Dickens so it's always nice to see homage to the master.
I'm not sure though that it's the best way or the worst way to start this all.

I wouldn't advocate dropping it but perhaps you could reach down and grab a line a bit past midway and start with that.

Something on the line of.::

Andrew didn't have to consult the official convention guest list and schedule of events to know that there were two airships missing from the Opening Ceremony.

This gives the reader an intro to the character first and you can embellish that a bit before going all Dickens.

Hiya, few thoughts below...

Beware of the infodump! In those first few paragraphs we get a named location (with a geographic coordinate - anyone can look at a map to see where Tilbury is), a brief history of the event and a physical description of your main character. Whereas the actual action and internal thoughts of your character are relegated to maybe two paragraphs. Where's the excitement? We're at a steampunk air show, which is pretty damn exciting, but the beginning reads like the introduction to a text book. I'm not saying you need to start with a crash-bang-wallop approach, but as a reader I want something to get my teeth into right away. I get almost nothing of this main character that makes me want to give him more than a second glance. I'm also not a massive fan of the Dickensian pastiche of the first sentence - comes off as a bit cheesy and unoriginal which I highly doubt is your intention!

But...things improve a lot in the second scene! There's intrigue (who's Kerry and why's she missing? What is Andrew's relationship with her?). So what I think is going on here is that you've just got your hook buried under a lot of infodumpy slush in the beginning there. If you can rework that into a bit more of a piecemeal information reveal (don't give it all up at once, sprinkle it out throughout the scene) and blend that with what's going on in the second scene, I think it'd flow a lot smoother and be more intriguing :)

A final note, because yes I am going to be that person: I'm also wary of the misogynistic slant of this section, which ended up forming my main impression of him. So he thinks a girl would be too afraid to fly and is disappointed women were taking mens jobs? If you're framing it as social commentary then I'm sure there's a less heavy handed way of doing it; this just comes off unpleasant to me. IMHO. :)

Since I was lucky enough to read all of this story, I can say that I had no problem at all with the gentle pace of the opening scene. I also wouldn't worry about whether or not this is Victorian enough, or steampunkish enough. The reason for that is that I believe that "steampunk" is a very wide term, nearly as wide as "fantasy." Just as fantasy doesn't have to be set in an imaginary medieval world, steampunk doesn't have to be set in a parallel Victorian Age.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments & critiques. I sincerely appreciate the time of you took to review my story opening. I will take all comments to heart as I revisit my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.