influences on your writing

StuartBurchell

Which authors have influenced your writing?

I am writing a nautical based military sci fi book at the moment. One of my first decisions was that my military characters would always be referred to either by surname, rank or their job/position, ie. Moore/ Lieutenant Commander/ First Officer/ helmsman AND be CONSISTENT about it, making it clear who you are describing.

This came from the books of Bernard Cornwell (the Richard Sharpe books, historical) and Mark Billingham (the DI Tom Thorne books, crime thrillers).

Their protagonists are always referred by their surnames, as are the other military/police regular characters in their respective series.

As I said, my book is centred around a military ship. So what sci fi military authors influenced me?

David Weber and Evan Currie.

David Weber's Honor Harrington series and Evan Currie's Odyssey One series, to be exact.

However, David Weber has always called his protagonist Honor, as opposed to being called Harrington. As noted above, I have decided to call mine by their surname. Calling mine by their first name is something I felt was not appropriate in my book.

Evan Currie. Canadian author of the Odyssey One series. I enjoy this series quite a bit. He has influenced me by convincing me not to copy his mistakes.

His books, by the look of them, are self published. No problem there. But I feel he could have done with an editor. His books often look rushed and he can't keep his continuity straight. He can with his characters, but in other details. His first book had his starfighter squadron 12 strong. One is killed and three ejected safely. So he has eight fighters. Next book he has twelve. Next book there's only six. He also can't keep track of how many warships a divided Earth has and what their names are (there's less than a dozen).

He is also inconsistent with how he calls his characters. In the third book (or fourth?), he calls a crewman Susan for a while (right at the start of the book itself) and it takes me a while to realise it was Ensign Susan Lamont. A minor command deck officer, but a regular character.

That shouldn't happen. Which is why my above stipulation on what my military characters are called was one of my first decisions, if not the first, I made.

So even a poorly written book(s) can be instructional, on how NOT to write.

Anybody want to contribute?

I think my biggest influence is golden age science fiction. I adore Heinlein's YA work... especially books like Have Spacesuit, Will Travel and Starman Jones. I love those classic visions of the future (before the realities of science dragged them down).

That said, these days my biggest influences are just every day life. I live in Baltimore, which is this amazing city that everyone (who has never been here) loves to hate. It's a huge source of inspiration. Parenthood and marriage are also very inspiring. I love taking these things and transferring them to science fiction.

My sff influences can be counted on one hand (although I read the genre widely) - Dune would be the main one, and early King. (Bujold would have been had I read her before Abendau - but I'm very relieved I didn't or I'd always worry what I'd taken from her.)

My influences are all character authors (Paul Atreides is a great character, as is Alia). Maeve Binchy - so, so adept. I suspect most here think she's some lovely Oirish Gran but she's not - she gets you to love the people she writes about and then, when sad things happen you're broken hearted. Marian Keyes is a worthy sucessor. Similarly, Isabelle Allende and Zafon. Oh and de Bernieres blew me away, as does Paul Gallico - all character writers.

Which is why I write sff and fantasy the way I do. As if the characters aren't in any genre, but just telling their story. It's the sort of genre I love, shaped by the writers I love.

Umm as a writer probably Enid Blyton, Kathy Reichs and Agatha Christie with a bit of Shakespeare and Dolly Parton thrown in.

Stories come from wide varied places I like to describe the book I'm bringing out as Lord of the Rings crossed with Catcher in the Rye which is strange because I hated both as a reader. But really Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dr Who and He-Man probably have the most obvious influence.

Like Jo I just write the stories I love and they tend to be fantasy because I love exercising my imagination to the maximum.

Of writers from my pre-writing past (I only started writing 3 years ago, when I turned 40), no idea. I read A LOT, and probably have a jumble of different influences mixed up in my brain.

Current authors, well, many who I love and admire, but possibly the most influence on my personal style comes from Myke Cole's fast-paced military fantasy.

Bernard Cornwell's something of an influence. I haven't read his stuff for a while, but I read perhaps 15-20 Sharpe books, the US civil war series, the prehistoric Stonehenge stuff and a bit of the Saxons/Danes series (as well as The Warlord Chronicles, which are perhaps my favourite).

Oddly, an influence is Outlaws of the Marsh. Not the cunning way of weaving characters in and out [that'd be a massive undertaking even to attempt] but the minimalist approach to description and having things happen suddenly is something I try and incorporate, particularly into comedy (where suddenness can have an amusing as well as dramatic effect).

Content wise, in my current WIP, Kim Stanley Roberts. Style wise, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, GRRM, Kurt Vonnegut. I would also like to have read enough of China Mieville to call him an influence.

Possibly most valuable influence? Brett Easton Ellis, specifically American Psycho. The character is horrible and so so very flawed and unlikable, there is no standard story structure but it is very well done IMO. Reading it made me feel a lot more confident with writing characters that are unlikable for any reason (not just the sociopathic murderers), and also with "breaking rules" about writing.

Larry Niven for a grand imagination and such loveable characters. Ringworld is fantastic and was definitely an inspiration on character writing.
My main source of inspiration though, would be Cormac McCarthy, his prose is breath-taking and reading his novels dares you to create something half as beautiful.

I also enjoy early King for his great characters and fantastic pacing.

But I don't see myself as writing a certain genre, I like to ground my stories firmly in reality and have them be about something we can all share and connect with. Whether that's writing about how we struggle and defy the odds, or how far we will go for someone we love. The Sci-fi/Horror/Fantasy elements are within them because that's how they manifested themselves in my mind, plus they're also fun to write about and stretch your imagination. :)

Which authors have influenced your writing?

I am writing a nautical based military sci fi book at the moment. One of my first decisions was that my military characters would always be referred to either by surname, rank or their job/position, ie. Moore/ Lieutenant Commander/ First Officer/ helmsman AND be CONSISTENT about it, making it clear who you are describing.

This came from the books of Bernard Cornwell (the Richard Sharpe books, historical) and Mark Billingham (the DI Tom Thorne books, crime thrillers).

Their protagonists are always referred by their surnames, as are the other military/police regular characters in their respective series.

As I said, my book is centred around a military ship. So what sci fi military authors influenced me?

David Weber and Evan Currie.

David Weber's Honor Harrington series and Evan Currie's Odyssey One series, to be exact.

However, David Weber has always called his protagonist Honor, as opposed to being called Harrington. As noted above, I have decided to call mine by their surname. Calling mine by their first name is something I felt was not appropriate in my book.

Evan Currie. Canadian author of the Odyssey One series. I enjoy this series quite a bit. He has influenced me by convincing me not to copy his mistakes.

His books, by the look of them, are self published. No problem there. But I feel he could have done with an editor. His books often look rushed and he can't keep his continuity straight. He can with his characters, but in other details. His first book had his starfighter squadron 12 strong. One is killed and three ejected safely. So he has eight fighters. Next book he has twelve. Next book there's only six. He also can't keep track of how many warships a divided Earth has and what their names are (there's less than a dozen).

He is also inconsistent with how he calls his characters. In the third book (or fourth?), he calls a crewman Susan for a while (right at the start of the book itself) and it takes me a while to realise it was Ensign Susan Lamont. A minor command deck officer, but a regular character.

That shouldn't happen. Which is why my above stipulation on what my military characters are called was one of my first decisions, if not the first, I made.

So even a poorly written book(s) can be instructional, on how NOT to write.

Anybody want to contribute?
Clarke and Asimov for their science. Anne McCaffrey for her endless vocabulary and how she weaved creative words into the stories. I would also like to add Kim Stanley Robinson for his Red, Blue and Green mars books. His science was solid, and he communicated complicated material so that it held the reader.

Last edited:
Every time I try to narrow this down I find my choices to be eclectic enough that it's really hard to pin the rap on anyone.

I'd have to start with these::

Poul Anderson
Alexandre Dumas
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Charles Dickens
Jules Vern
Mark Twain
H.G. Wells
Andre Norton
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Alice Sheldon (James Tiptree, Jr.)
Robert Heinlein
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
Anne McCaffrey
C. J. Cherryh
Joanna Russ
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C. Clarke
A.E. van Vogt
Philip K. Dick
John Brunner

I can't confess to wanting to write like any of them.
They just made me want to write.

Oddly enough it was music that influenced my writing. I read Lord of the Rings to Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. That was a really tremendous feeling when I heard the music afterwards and it conjured imaginations of Elves, Hobbits etc. Somehow my fantasy mind became linked to the music and seemed to make the novel feel deeper and richer. OK you could argue it was Lord of the Rings was the original inspiration but I do feel that the music was a deep part of the inspiration.

Stephen Donaldson's books went really well with Incantations. I also like to listen to Enjya when reading or writing. Her music has a very rich Fantasy feel to it.

LOTR was probably the first thing that made me actually want to write. As for influences, I think I've picked up a little bit of anything that passes by my eyes. That could be Donaldson, Niven, Heinlein, Eco, Dickens, Doyle, Murakami, Martin, and a lot of others. Murakami in particular I'm in awe of, and Moby Dick is the book I wish I were able to write. I also think Jules Verne and HG Wells were masters of the imaginary.

I read LOTR about three times during my formative years, and recently returned it while bored on a flight, and I have to say this time around I found it... problematic. I've never been snooty about it before - it's still a magnificent tale, but since trying to hone my own craft I do notice that it doesn't have the same intensity it had when I was younger - that could be down to familiarity with it, or it could be that actually there are some basic flaws in the writing itself. I don't want to believe that, though, and still toe my party line that it's a great work of literature in its own unique way, and the themes in it are much more astute than some people are wont to suggest.

Try this, see what it says.
https://iwl.me
I have tried it with different pieces of work and apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut, Sir Arthur Connan Doyle, and Dan Brown. Not sure if that is good or bad.

For me, I would have to go with ......in order for me..... personal.
Frank Herbert, Issac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Greg Bear.
All fantastic minds, that have stimulated me, and caused me to become a writer :)

Hmm, I've apparently been influenced by authors I've hardly read - HP Lovecraft, Anne Rice and David Foster Wallace (whoever he may be). I would have expected it would be an author I've got a shelf of, like CJ Cherryh or Terry Pratchett.

Hmm, I've apparently been influenced by authors I've hardly read - HP Lovecraft, Anne Rice and David Foster Wallace (whoever he may be). I would have expected it would be an author I've got a shelf of, like CJ Cherryh or Terry Pratchett.
I take it this is readers' opinions?

Ooops, didn't see the link. I'll have a try later. Readers compare my books to Feist and McAfree

According to the above link I write like Neil Gaiman which was a surprise, assuming the analysis is correct of course. I tried it a second time with another exert from a second book and got H P Lovecraft. I suspect this is looking random?

Hmm, I write, it tells me, like Jane Austin. I kid you not. I didn't know she wrote space opera. Curious.