Favourite Moments In Movies

A few more favourites for me.

American Werewolf In London. The transformation scene was incredible.

The final scene in Planet of the Apes.

I loved the scene in Silent Running where Lowell's preparing his dinner and the camera pulls back to view the three ships. (The music had a lot to do with that, though.

Blade Runner had so many great scenes, but my favourite without hesitation is the intro. The cityscape, the gas burnoff, Vangelis's music.

The sentry gun scene in Aliens. So much tension.

'Honourable representatives of The Republic, I come to you unde the gravest of circumstances...'

'Not for the Sith...'

'Once more the... And we shall have... peace.'

'Chewie, we're home.' And 'yes it's true...all of it.'

'In the short space of time I've known you, you have demonstrated every loathsome characteristic of the human personality and even discovered a few new ones too; you're physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you're morally reprehensible, insensitive, selfish, Stupid, rude, you have no sense of taste, a lousy sense of humour ... and you smell.' - The Witches of Eastwick.

'and where do you live, Simon?'
'I live in the weak and the wounded...' (The phenomenal horror Session 9)

The banging door scene in the film version of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting.

(Jar Jar to R2D2, R2B1 & R2N3): Hello, Boyos!!'
Droids: beep beep beep!!

Okay I'll stop now..

pH

The weird heart-stopping moment when the car doesn't sink in Psycho. That weird, "wait! who are we rooting for here?" moral ambiguity.

The moment when Sheila Sims' character gets the telegram telling her that her fiancé is still alive in Powell and Pressburger's A Canterbury Tale - chokes me up just thinking about it.

"Ah... Poetry..." from Orlando.

The moment when Maude tells Harold she took the pills about an hour ago in Harold and Maude. It's like getting kicked in the guts.

In The Bride of Frankenstein there is a moment when Valerie Hobson's character pauses outside the door to the room where Dr Pretorius is talking to the young baron. She says, "I do hope he doesn't upset Henry". Cracks me up every time.

"Wages of Fear" (Or "The Sorcerer") (1977) - The intense bridge-crossing scene.
"Les Diaboliques" (1955) - The "corpse" returning to life and climbing out of the bathtub, near the end of the film
"Silence of the Lambs" (1991) - "You look like a Rube...." damning speech by Hannibal Lector to Agent Starling
"Scarface" (1982) - Al Pacino's "Say 'ello to my liddle frien'" scene

Loads of others, but the above will do for now, as I have watched them over the last couple of days

Cabin In The Woods - where the last two characters sit down and get high as the world ends.
The Terminator - best scene is where the Terminator storms the police station.
Bad Lieutenant - The LT confronts Jesus in church.
Pale Rider - Spider Conway has his large gold nugget shot in half before he is gunned down himself.
Clone Wars - The first confrontation between the Jedi and General Grievous on Hypori.
The Mist - Mrs. Carmody is shot through her container of milk.
Falling Down - The golf cart goes down the hill and into the water after being blasted by the shotgun.
Airplane - Robert Stack fights his way through the airport.

No! Oh god no! The last minutes of Billy Elliot ruined it for me. The film should have ended when he got on the bus. (from memory - I only saw it the once) I'm as sentimental as it comes but all that Dad coming-to-terms-with and finally-accepting stuff at the end was pure Hollywoody mawkish overkill. Like the last shots of C.R.A.Z.Y. where exactly the same thing happens. Neither film needed it.

"The Seventh Seal" - Antonius Bloc and Death playing chess for the first time on the beach; with a magnificent sunset in the background.

"Ringu" (the original Japanese version) - The girl climbing out of the well and crawling towards the camera near the end of the film

"Unforgiven" - Clint Eastwood informing bent sheriff Gene Hackman that "deservin' got nothing to do with it!" and then BOOM!!

"Once Upon A Time in the West" - the opening scene of the three cowboys waiting for the train to arrive at the station.

Roy Batty's last words in Blade Runner:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

The end of Cinema Paradiso but you probably need to see the whole movie to understand its significance.