Aurora

Ray McCarthy

Sentient Marmite: The Truth may make you fret.
If you are in Northern latitudes, esp. N.I. north Coast and most of Scotland, worth having an email sub.

AuroraWatch UK amber alert, 2015-10-07 18:32:02UT.
Detected by AuroraWatchNet. Lancaster #3, England.
--
http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Because of how they work same alert may apply at times in Northern Russia, Scandinavia and Canada.

It's a good resource. I've already seen a couple of aurora this year, usually because I've gone outside for a fag and noticed a slight green glow in the sky to the north. So far I've not seen anything spectacular in the Highlands of Scotland.

Ironically, the best aurora I saw was in Hull, around 1990 - green sky and red curtains, the works, even with all the light pollution. I sincerely hope I'll be able to share something like that with my children soon enough. As solar activity increases, I just might. :)

The Facebook groups are far more reliable. I've seen them about eight or nine times this year and some have been amazing. One this year we could see over the house in spite of the street lights. My goal for 2016 is to have my own camera and not share one with hubby that he keeps leaving at work.

No, they are something different, purely visual observation. This is advance warning. Also Facepalm a privacy slurping walled garden.

I only live 3 miles from the Moray Firth coast ;) The local ones are enough notice and as a result far more accurate. I've found the advance warning ones have resulted in a lot of fruitless cold nights. What they can't see that local people know is things like cloud cover, full moon etc the things that mean despite having a warning they still can't be seen. With the Facebook ones at least for Scotland they post the information from the advanced warning site, mention what time it is likely to be and then you get the "I can see it".

With the advanced warning site I'd catch one or two a year - with the Facebook site I catch far more and some the advanced warning site have never mentioned.