Asteroid + Volcanoes killed off the dinosaurs

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
There's long been a debate as to what cataclysm ended the Cretaceous period - and the dinosaurs with it. I've ranted before that an asteroid impact lacked the energy required for a global extinction event, and argued that the greater damage from the impact might have been in setting off the Deccan Traps of India into a huge bout of prolonged volcanic activity.

Well, it looks as though the world of science is finally catching up with me - again!

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...s-asteroid-might-have-finished-off-dinosaurs/

With their world in grave danger, the dinosaurs couldn’t catch a break. The famous asteroid or comet that hastened their demise touched down in the middle of a period of climate change caused by burbling volcanoes.

The resulting seismic shock may have then triggered even more eruptions, effectively meaning that a one-two punch killed them off. New evidence based on the most precise dating yet of lava from that time backs this idea.

This interpretation could help bring together two varying schools of thought on what caused one of the largest mass extinctions in our planet’s history at the end of the Cretaceous period, 66 million years ago.

I had already heard the argument that the asteroid might also have triggered or amplified the Deccan traps. Aren't they (or weren't they at that time) on almost exactly the opposite side of the planet and they thought is that the molten core acted a bit like a lens focusing the seismic shock of the impact on the opposite side and giving the Deccan traps a good shaking up? It's interesting that they are talking about a 'new' study suggesting that sort of aggravation to the traps as I'm sure I first heard the idea on a BBC documentary several years ago. Maybe it's just that the new study has provided more evidence.

However I also thought it was really a triple/quadruple wammy in that there was already evidence of climate change (maybe triggered by volcanic activity) but also there was fairly rapid tectonic plate movement at the time creating another climate shift. Which I suppose would also be consistent with more volcanic activity.

It wasn't the most destructive bit of the whole thing, but the idea that it generated 4km high tsunamis just after impact always takes my breath away. Imagine a wall of water that would engulf the Eiger coming towards you. Of course surfers would probably relish the idea...

Aren't they (or weren't they at that time) on almost exactly the opposite side of the planet and they thought is that the molten core acted a bit like a lens focusing the seismic shock of the impact on the opposite side and giving the Deccan traps a good shaking up?

I always thought this was common sense. I may have previously argued about it. I'm sure modern science will finally catch-up with us free-thinking folk. :D

Oh well the millions of craters should be a clue that something blowed up real good. Modern science looks to be still in the dork ages in a few areas.