Iceland's Sagas: Volsungs, Grettir, Njal, Laxdaela, Gisli, Hrolf Kraki, Vinland, more

Wow, what a resource! -- Click on the link and you should find the source selected for English.

I just read for the first time, by the way, the saga of Viglund, in the Penguin Classics book called Sagas of Warrior-Poets. That could be a good one for someone who wants to read a saga that can be read in an hour or so, that shows the typical restraint in the presentation of the supernatural, the tension between love and potential (at least) feud, etc.

A half century of saga acquisition. Not pictured — a library discard of Heimskringla, which is a saga collection and belongs in the picture. Any other collectors of Icelandic sagas here? (The last book on the right is just a bibliography, and doesn’t really belong there.)
7469A369-6122-4ADC-933A-3DD86DD185AF.jpeg

A half century of saga acquisition. Not pictured — a library discard of Heimskringla, which is a saga collection and belongs in the picture. Any other collectors of Icelandic sagas here? (The last book on the right is just a bibliography, and doesn’t really belong there.)
View attachment 101918
Very nice. :) I've got a few sagas. Not at home so can't post a photo. Mostly the penguin classics edition, the same edition of the fat "sagas of the Icelanders" in your photo, and one Oxford world's classic edition (Grettir's saga).
Penguin Classics:
Comic Sagas and Tales from Iceland;
Egil's Saga;
Elder Edda;
Gisli Sursson's Saga and the Saga of the People of Eyri;
Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Stories;
King Harald's Saga;
Njal's Saga;
Orkneyinga Saga;
Prose Edda;
Saga of King Hrolf Kraki;
Saga of the People of Laxardal and Bolli Bollason's Tale;
Saga of the Volsungs;
Saga of the Warrior-poets;
Seven Viking Romances;
The Vinland Sagas.

The artist's work looks familiar. I'm not sure of the name. Male artist, active in the 1960s.

It might be Charles Keeping, who illustrated a number of children's books, including Alan Garner's Elidor. But there was another illustrator around the same time with a similar, slightly scribbly style. I think that chap did a lot of history books.

Kimble and these books were missing in my picture from yesterday. He’s not yet a year old, but the books are a lot older. That Laxdaela Saga is the first saga I read, 49 years ago.
0F51240E-FB07-4769-B87F-46C4D3DCBCED.jpeg