Titancon and Bristolcon - the inside stories

Yes, perhaps I should not have named names but I think all the other authors knew I was doing this and I think I've steered away from anything controversial...

Until now. This is fabulous. On the Sex Panel (talking about sex in genre) Joe Abercrombie was given Morrissey's book to read (it's just won the Worst Sex award) and here's the clip:

https://mobile.twitter.com/frakbuddy/status/647786296543444993

I got it all right. Hilarious. And this book was actually published???? o_O

I'm just back from this year's Titancon. It was a pared down affair due to changes in management, but was still the same vibe. Very chilled, very relaxed, huge fun. @Kerrybuchanan was there as well and we had a great fun panel this morning talking about writing about Norn Iron, hosted by the hugely fun and generous Ian McDonald (who I picked up a Wolf Moon from later.)

Also there were Peadar O'Guillin, a very funny toastmaster, Jan Siegel (who was totally made up at Kerry's greeting to her!), Roz Kaveney, Pat Cadigan, full of energy and an inspiration as always, Debbie McCune, Ian McDonald, Rachael B Kelly and Ruth Long. I was sad to leave early today but it was 2 hours until the next train. One year I will stay over - almost certainly in 2019 given the room rates announced (£90 for a double room, those thinking of heading over! Not heard the Dublin prices yet).

But! No need to worry, in 3 weeks time I'm in Dublin for Octocon where at least 6 of us will be attending.

Seriously, if this thread doesn't convince you all to find and support your local con, you're missing out. Go and read it, see who I have met, how confident I have grown attending, and then go book yourself a great geeky day out. :)

glad it went well! Bristolcon isn't for another month and a half yet, but there's Fantasycon in Peterborough first, at which i'll be on a panel talking about small presses, doing a reading, scaring folks at the karaoke, and generally hanging out - and also viewing the British Fantasy Awards with great interest, of course....

i fully endorse what jo says about conventions - absolutely nothing to be scared of and a brilliant way to meet like-minded people. :)

glad it went well! Bristolcon isn't for another month and a half yet, but there's Fantasycon in Peterborough first, at which i'll be on a panel talking about small presses, doing a reading, scaring folks at the karaoke, and generally hanging out - and also viewing the British Fantasy Awards with great interest, of course....

i fully endorse what jo says about conventions - absolutely nothing to be scared of and a brilliant way to meet like-minded people. :)
Would have loved to get to Fantasycon but I don't have the pennies or, indeed, the time! But I got a sweet deal at the Octocon hotel for a family room with loads for the kids to do and dinner and all included so we are all heading down and the girls are going to go and see the Book of Kells and Trinity College's library too!

I had hoped to be able to get to Octocon, there's a lot there I want to catch. Sadly it will not happen, family comes first. I too want to underline the importance of going to these events, one day, half a day all weekend, whatever you can squish in/afford. As a reader it's brilliant to be able see the other side of the bookshelf, as a writer? You. Grow.