Preacher - Garth Ennis's incredible comic picked up by AMC

I think there is generally a lot more chance for series like Preacher today than there was in the past. A lot of the newer companies like Amazon are keen to build a reputation for themselves and I think they are not yet big enough (in TV worlds) that they end up like the BBC - only ever going after the MOST profitable that gets the most mass appeal.

It's a shame Firefly didn't come around now as they'd have more chance of at least being picked up by another studio than being left to die.

I'm actually surprised that "Into the Badlands" is just a bit more popular than Preacher! It's good, but I always felt it spent the whole of the first season just getting going whilst Preacher hit hte ground running. I guess the religious theme loses it some viewers and it might not be getting advertised as strongly as some other series which might mean many don't see it.

Preacher definitely hit the ground at a full gallop, but it took a while for those like myself -- unfamiliar with the comic version -- to catch up. Once I did (and became accustomed to the over-the-top violence) I have been thoroughly entertained by the series.
Today's canceled shows do have a shot at an afterlife these days via streaming services. Let's hope it doesn't come to that for Preacher.

I just saw a Dalmatian on a TV commercial pushing Ozempic (some drug that does I don't know what. I'd follow directions and ask my doctor if it's right for me -- if I had a doctor) and thought "Hmm. How much did they have to pay God to be in that commercial?" :LOL:

Reactions: ctg
Ozark has a preacher, who also goes bad. Unlike in this series, he's role is closely matched to a role of local pastor in America's lake district. In the first season he's used to commit a crime, in the second one he advanced to actually commit a crime. I hope AMC gives the Preacher as chance to finish the story before they pull the plug on this.

Must be the free publicity we're giving it. ;)

What a world would be like, if they actually gave some transparency to the viewing figures, including UK, EU and Australia? It is one of the few summer series that is meant for the SFF and H lovers.

Darn that's a shame, but I agree that at least as they know in advance they can at work toward producing a viable conclusion to the whole series. Then again if I recall right weren't they basically sort of heading toward the end of the comic through the series anyway. Ergo that we'd have expected the end in season 4 unless they strung it out.

gkOUJ13.jpg

The End?

I have to say I never expect to see the end of Jesse or Tulip and Cassidy sitting in the purgatory, making afterlife jokes just before sex. The Precher is so controversial and it doesn't stop from shocking, but I also feel that it is a dark comedy that involves some impossible love, and scenes that you wouldn't find from anywhere else.

When we last time saw the Rreacher, Herr Dickhead were preparing to take on the only person, capable of holding the Word of God. Is there anything that can stop it? If the opening scene, with Jesse dropping off from a plane is a profilic vision then yes, The Grail found a way to bottle the Great Spirit and somehow deal with the carrier, who's not the Messiah.

Maybe the most shocking scene was to find an angel stuck in the well, unable to do much but whimper at the face of mere mortals. Cassidy explained the temple as "Lord Frankstein place," and he, "loved what they'd done with the place..." as if it were the truth.

Funny thing about the Word of God is that even though Jesse holds the power of the Creation, but he never uses it to destroy or to create anything. Instead in the times he has used the power, it has only been to possess others will and make them to do what he wants.

I guess the problem is in us mere mortals, as we are not equipped with a godlike intelligence and wisdom. Then again, God dressed in a dogsuit and decided to take a break. We simply cannot hold the imagination for making the universal creation.

Believe it or not, but there has been studies in the conscious universe. Think about it for a minute, because the people are trying to say that the universe is one big conscious self, and therefore, it's thought is a creation. In a way it also explains the Matrix Theory, because if everything is a simulation inside this universal mind, it is no wonder why so many feels like we are not living in a reality.

Maybe in some other alternative world, Garth Ennis reality is real and what we see is just another mindfck.

ZlC0QgB.jpg

I loved the guest lecturer. He knew what he was doing, when he started working our beloved vampire. He knew what he was doing to inflict the pain, when he put on his little hat and grabbed Cassidy's little fellow. If that doesn't work, there are so many other places , where you can inflict most horrendous pain.

To me, it was kind of stupid, to cut into a vampire, who has a regenerative power. Cutting into them is asking to be getting eaten. So, if you have a chance, dust them or become their friends, because there is no other choice ... if you want to live.

I didn't expected jesse to go hand-on-hand when he came to Cassidy's rescue. In his shoes I would have freed the vampire and stepped back. That vampire has a gentle soul and he's not asking anyone to fight his battles.

The funniest thing was seeing them trying to open the gate and not using the big button next to the gate. Think about it, Tulip had to climp on top of the mountain, in her platform shoes to fight with the Grail equivalent, while Jesse and Cassidy had their man-to-man.

How did the Guest Lecturer became real again? And Tulip couldn't tell the truth to Jesse?

DzpChti.jpg

What the ....? How could the dead dad be calling Jesse and telling him, "It's time to get back to work. It's time to find the God. Big things are coming for you." And then it was all dreams?

4.01/.02 Masada/Last Supper

Oh, yeah! A double-dose of merry mayhem to launch the final season!

If this entire season proves to be all flashback, that opening scene may well also be the final scene of the series.

Hats off to permanently buttheaded Herr Starr. What was that they used to replace his missing ear – one of Cassidy’s amputated, uh, “parts”?

New villain and Advanced Torture course guest lecturer, Frankie Toscani, seems to share Herr Starr’s survival abilities. Donning a yarmulke to repeatedly circumcise Cassidy was over-the-top.

I don’t understand how the plan to rescue Cassidy from Masada would end with the expectation that a vampire could stroll out into the blazing desert sun. Shouldn’t Jesse have brought an umbrella?

“Hold the door” went to a new level with Tulip’s command to her Genesis-generated lieutenant. The victim was amazingly conversational, despite her body being cut in half by the closing door. Apparently, Genesis also has a powerful pain-killing effect.

Just watched season one so I'm late to the party. Having never read the comic, I didn't have a clue what was going on for at least half the season but I did enjoy it. It carries a nice level of black humour and I love the Irish vampire character:)

I love the show. It does deviate in a lot of ways from the comic,(still a trip seeing Featherstone that malicious; she was the voice of reason in the Grail in the books.)but it maintains the spirit of the material.

It's not surprising Preacher would have a short series life. AMC has a habit of keeping series NOT related to Walking Dead a bit brief. (Breaking Bad was only 5 seasons long.)

In fairness with the story they've told in Preacher the TV series it seems to be getting a natural ending season where it should be. Ergo with the way they've set it up they likely couldn't take it further than another series easily.

Just watched season one so I'm late to the party. Having never read the comic, I didn't have a clue what was going on for at least half the season but I did enjoy it. It carries a nice level of black humour and I love the Irish vampire character:)

That's pretty normal for Preacher, you are left quite high and dry early on, but it builds on itself really well once it gets going and I think hangs enough of a tempting meat of story before the reader to pull them along past the confusing parts to where you've got "some" idea of what is going on in this mad world

9IqltQB.jpg

The Wrath of God

So, the dinosaurs did fck up. God told them not poop at front of him, and then not to eat the feces. Poor dinos didn't get the memo and ate they poop and it angered the Almighty so much so that when He had finished, he created us.

The only question I have is how to Biblical Flood equates to this revelation? Are they going to show in this season other events made him pissed and start again from a clean slate? If you take into account the final revelation of God sitting in the attic, looking at all the miniatures that depict things that Jesse in his quest to find the Almighty has been using.

It's just I don't get the cock mountain? Is it a way of God saying piss off and leave him alone?

To me it looks as if God took a vacation in the Preacher's world and He wanted to just live the life as normally as he could, without having to deal with the miracle business. It is as if He wanted to leave all of it behind and let the mankind to develop in any way they can through their free will.

Genesis steals that. It negates the free will and makes the subject supremely compliant, unless if they're so dump that they cannot understand English, even though it is considered to be one of the main languages on this world. And you saw Jesse using it commit all sorts of things that could be classed as miracles.

It's just it's not the only miracle, because the Grail has their own methods, like for example cloning the messiah and the senior lecturer without really explaining how it works. In fact, I cannot remember really an occasion, where they have explicitly told the audience what is really happening.

All of it have been left for us to figure out.

When you look at Tulip, you start to think why didn't you tried to Grail costume first instead shooting the Temple Mountain with RPGs? Maybe they needed to show her relentless nature instead of giving a solution straight hand. Then again, you think Cassidy and his problem of going out in the sunlight.

Why is that he didn't think about going on top and waiting for the nightfall, before he was committed to the escape? Is it really hard for him to check time or was his feeble excuse of escape just a measure of desperation?

He chewed through his own bloody feet, and were able to regenerate another one before the guards came to check him. It's not like they could do anything, because all the damage is rendered to nothing. So, in behalf of Herr Starr, why they had to staple a dick in his ear, instead of slicing one off from Cassidy and somehow putting it in instead of that willy?

Man, things that you'd think not happening are happening, because the Preacher as well as Garth Ennis likes to shock the audience.

I didn't laugh at all in this episode, but I loved the car chase and seeing Jesse hell bent on getting back his lighter and the shoes. The costume makes the man, old actors used to say. In Jesse's case it is the truth.

What is Arseface and the Saint of Killers doing? And why they haven't shown Hitler in charge of Hell yet?

It's not surprising Preacher would have a short series life. AMC has a habit of keeping series NOT related to Walking Dead a bit brief. (Breaking Bad was only 5 seasons long.)
Very few series, other than perhaps comedies, keep up their quality standards beyond 4 seasons. 4/5 is quite a good run really.