Preacher - Garth Ennis's incredible comic picked up by AMC

I really enjoyed this episode!
First up we see some more of the Vampire world from a vampire that isn't a drug addict. We see that they do indeed have quite a considerable spread of powers, and we also see the mental vulnerability of them in now two vampires; which might suggest any vampire outside of a large gathering of vampires might well feel similar - which could explain why they seem to be very isolated (thus far we've not seen a single vampire in a position of long term power such as one might expect, though it sounds like Cas's family at least has money.
As for Cas and his lack of power I suspect that, for whatever reason, he was never taken into confidence. As vampirism seems to increase a persons natural habits it might be that whilst he is a good person (overall its probably the most moral after Eugine - provided one kind of accepts his need to eat people.... grey area that); he's also quite an addict. It might be that came out strong even when he was newly turned so he never got accepted further.
It could also be that other world events might have resulted in a breakdown of the vampires for a time so he was left to his own devices and then fell down into the addictions. Also the fact that he's not drawn on his families support for a long while (since hte first phone call in the first episode!) it suggests that not all is well with his relationship to them - I've also wondered if they might even have sent the hunters after him to get rid of the family embarrassment.

Anyhow even if Cas doesn't become a firm friend of this new vampire, at the very least I really want to see him gain some new skills and come back and be a - well VAMPIRE!

Allfather - really loved this scene with him. We see that he is really twisted, really evil and that he's clearly got a finger in pies at the very top of governments around the world. It also confirms that Herr Starr, for all his own twisted nature, indeed isn't out to burn the world. I'm rather pleased I guessed right; he's twisted, perverted and wants to be on top and rule and can be a cold killer - but he doesn't want to see the world burn. One gets the feeling that he acts with a killer instinct more out of purpose than a pleasured desire to kill.
It's also clear that the Allfather put the fear of god into him; the way his face almost loses all sense of guile and control.

All in all a very strong episode that did what it needed; it resolved a lot of threads and yet sets up a whole new slew of them to really change the pace. Cas with more vampire skills, perhaps leaving the trio, perhaps bringing more vampires; Herr Starr losing his autonomy within his order and perhaps having to change tactics (I can well see him trying to ally with Preacher now). Preachers own family hatching their own plots.
And a group we've not seen act yet but is teased to us again. The Japanese. They've now suffered from two thefts from Preacher. I can well see them turning up and really messing things up!

Edit oh and the Angel of Death. I think his mind is slowly coming back to him. Earlier he was very much a tool of Death. Now that he has been freshly tortured directly and cannot just gun his way unthinking into any situation I wonder if we might not see him change and develop. I was a little surprised that no lasting alliance between him and Tulip's stepdaughter formed; then again at that stage he wasn't pausing - he was on a single path to redemption and to join his family. Now that is denied him he might be rethinking his position - and Eugine could well be a trigger for that. Hitler could as well we still don't know much about him (our only hint since his escape is the intro where he's wearing a shop name badge)

Well, it would need some kind of minimum base level not to be swamped by the other, but it could only work by looking for DNA markers, which would either be present or not present. It would depend on the length of the kiss. Anyway, that didn't bother me, and really if you can believe vampires are real, that a man can eat a whole live owl, that souls can be captured, or come back from Hell.... well, you know what I'm saying...!

and really if you can believe vampires are real, that a man can eat a whole live owl, that souls can be captured, or come back from Hell.... well, you know what I'm saying...!

I know. It's just it is one of those things that one can attach to physically as everything else is supernatural and requires you accepting a fantasy. It's ten times much easier to talk about that sort of context than venture into the land of mystery and mythology. But, at least it gives us something to talk about :cool:

I've always detested the normalization of vampires, which are rightfully depicted as blood-sucking, owl-eating, murderous monsters -- not romantic figures with relationship issues. Cassidy, the drug-addled, slacker vampire has been, from the start, an amusing exception.
The extent to which Cassidy has been failing to realize his potential was hilariously showcased in this episode. What? I can fly? What? I can draw beautiful women with the power of my mind? What? I can shapeshift?
Yet, these possible powers were not what drew him back to Eccarius. Facing his own curse-of-immortality loneliness, he couldn't resisist the offer of an eternal friendship.
I wonder how many members of Les Enfants du Sang are posers. That was an impressive pile of fake teeth at the end of the newly-minted vampire's graduation ceremony.
Herr Starr's surprise visit by the All Father was also entertaining, particularly All Father's method of executing those who offend him. I find myself wanting to grab a spear and pop that Holy Zit. His gag reflex induced upchucking of his two-horse dinner was straight out of Monty Python' s The Meaning of Life.
In addition to what might be the start of Cassidy's journey to respectable vampirehoood, It was good to see the other story threads given time. I am curious to see how the Saint of Killers, Eugene and Hitler are going reunite with Jesse and Tulip. They really need to resolve their revolving door entrapment, and get the hell out of Angelville.

Yet, these possible powers were not what drew him back to Eccarius. Facing his own curse-of-immortality loneliness, he couldn't resisist the offer of an eternal friendship.

This really bothers me. Why is he seeking Cassidy's friendship if he has all those worshipping sirelings willing to fulfill all his wishes. Is he a ghost conjured up by crack haze and other possible chemicals?

That was an impressive pile of fake teeth at the end of the newly-minted vampire's graduation ceremony.

So where are they? Did something happen to them and how many of them are as patient with spreading the curse as Cassidy is? He didn't wanted to give it to his son and when he did, it turned out bad. No hint of Irish luck in our beloved vampire's case.

I am curious to see how the Saint of Killers, Eugene and Hitler are going reunite with Jesse and Tulip. They really need to resolve their revolving door entrapment, and get the hell out of Angelville.

Funny thing is they should form a team and wait to see what satan is going to do about. I think in some way the old horned one fears the angel of death. So if he would one day to rebel the order I don't think there as much that he can do other than pick up the line and call the other side. I wonder how the bill long distance calls for the celestial beings? Double charge per minute perhaps?

I think Eccarius and Cas both share in that they are both mature vampires and both have lived through a lot of life. They've seen people they love wither and die of old age; they've seen the world change many many times. Had their own rises and falls etc... Ergo they are like two mature people in a club full of youngsters - they've got lots of life and company around them, but its not quite the same. It's basically extreme generation gap.
There might also be a difference in how Cas is, he's not one of the young vampires who is thrilled to be a vampire and, through the coven, has a group of friends and companions. Indeed that might well be why Eccarius has started the coven (it seems pretty newish considering how they are in the basement of a regular house etc...). Providing other newblood vampires a means to not just embrace vampirism, but also have the support he lacks.

I also get the feeling that there was an unspoken war against vampires conducted at some point in the past which might explain why vampires are very rare and quite isolated. The Vampire hunters are rather like Cas's family and the Japanese soul-traders in that they are clearly powerful entities/groups that we've not yet seen beyond an introduction to them.

This really bothers me. Why is he seeking Cassidy's friendship if he has all those worshipping sirelings willing to fulfill all his wishes. Is he a ghost conjured up by crack haze and other possible chemicals?

He's lonely too and prefers the friendship of a cynical equal to a fawning newbie?

So where are they? Did something happen to them and how many of them are as patient with spreading the curse as Cassidy is? He didn't wanted to give it to his son and when he did, it turned out bad. No hint of Irish luck in our beloved vampire's case

The ceremony of passage ends with each newbie leaving the nest to go out and vamp on his or her own?

I don't think there as much that he can do other than pick up the line and call the other side. I wonder how the bill long distance calls for the celestial beings? Double charge per minute perhaps?

:lol:

The ceremony of passage ends with each newbie leaving the nest to go out and vamp on his or her own?

Well, the problem with vampires is very similar to the problem with zombies. If one goes out and starts liberally to chomp on others and therefore spreading the curse, soon there's going to be more idiots and everything will end tits up, because no humans and too many vampires... or zombies ... or whatever undead that spreads with a chomp and a scratch.

I admit that it's a problem in my books as well, and far bigger problem than one Preacher's world is facing as not only there are zombies but there is vampires and other things too, all keen to exploit the human resource. Scientifically speaking its a huge problem, because you end up in such a huge resource debilitation. The only positive thing about is that it will solve the overpopulation problem with one grand slam.

Ok so its not really spoiler but it is shifting off topic but with enough reference to keep it in spoiler tags
In general vampires are often shown to show self restraint when it comes to turning others. From a myriad of reasons from social pressure through to inherent mental shifts that they adopt. They appear closer to intelligent beasts than men in that they appear to respect the concept of prey and predator relationships not just as a theory but as a practice. They realise that they can turn and turn more and more; but if they exhaust their own food supply the only result is a population crash - starvation - with the extra nasty twist that they can't always just change prey (variable - we know that in Preachers world they can feed on animal blood). Indeed in a series without this background mechanic one would expect vampires to go through boom-bust cycles. Populations rising and rising to a boom which then crashes when the food supply runs out; forcing them into massive population decline through starvation and letting human prey populations recover. Of course if those vampires act like men and exploit a resource to extinction then, well, they are in quite a lot of trouble!

Vampires also seem to shift a lot in stories. They are either supreme loaners and loan hunters, almost devoid of any family barring nessessity; through to those who have a master-submissive angle whereby the master vampire rules over many weaker underling vampires; through to mass societies of vampires. It should also be noted that in many stories there is variation on how much blood vampires need to survive and how their relationship with their prey is. Sometimes they bite randoms; other times they might nurse a cult/group/following of humans who they feed off but don't/can't turn. Thus giving them food whilst the humans enjoy the protection of a vampire.

Reactions: ctg
Hilter.PNG

Well, this one drained all the fun out of the Cassidy and Eccarius Buddy Show. Behind the facade of friendly cult leader and mentor, Eccarius is preying upon and killing his adoring devotees.
I don't doubt that he is using his vampire mind control power to draw Cassidy into a relationship.. How long before he plans to leave my favorite junkie's body disintegrating in the sun?
Despite taking the title of the episode Hitler/Hilter and his rising career at the Max Grinder sub shop was far too brief. His ranting speech to his co-workers and renewed plans for world conquest were hilarious. The Saint of Killers handling of Hitler's boss was startling yet somehow satisfying,
Most of the humor in this round came from the Herr Starr negotiations with Gran'ma. Her trickling response to his initial offer was as funny as it was disgusting -- pure Preacher fare.
I'm hoping for a lot of laughs generated by the unlikely pairing of Tulip and Agent Featherstone on their mission to Japan. Featherstone's hair style reminds me of Barbara Feldon's Agent 99, and her attitude toward Tulip is not unlike that of Agent 99 toward Agent 86.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg
How long before he plans to leave my favorite junkie's body disintegrating in the sun?

Oh man, Cassidy doesn't like anyone calling him a junkie. He's a gentleman with acquired tastes on the world of chemicals. :D He will get you wasted if it's the last thing you do you Earth. I don't think Eccarius thing is to drink Cassidy empty. He is in need of a companion, who can probably show him what the modern world. To me Eccarus has got stuck in the olden ways and he truly wants to be our beloved narcomanic's lover.

It is more like it was with the case of Lestat. He got sick of vampiric ways at the end and he didn't wanted his spawns all over the world. But, Cassidy isn't his sireling. He's a product of someone else handwork. He even claimed that he hates his unholy life. Yet, he won't walk in the daylight and end his 'miserable' life even though he could.

What I'm intrigued is how come those Vampire Hunters were so weak and careless?

Featherstone's hair style reminds me of Barbara Feldon's Agent 99, and her attitude toward Tulip is not unlike that of Agent 99 toward Agent 86.

It's going to be a blood bath unlike anything we have seen so far. Weak security, that's what Herr Starr claimed. The souls isn't in his plan and I don't think he's ever going to deliver.

BP4It8k.jpg

I had to check who Tom Brady was, because he seemed so familiar. I didn't knew that he is five times American Football champion and far from the Allfather's cloned jesus. I don't know if he even register that the AMC made an episode named after him. But, then again, it wasn't him in the tube that was injected into a clone as it was made from Thomas Jefferson and Wayne Brady.

How did the grail got hold the of the genetic samples is the question I'd like to get answered as there was far more ancient bloodlines than the one that worked. But, it also got me thinking, because the german scientist explanation was that Genesis is an offspring of an angel and a demon relationship. At the same time it is also the Voice of God.

If God would wield the Genesis it is very likely that he could recreate the biblical flood, or even the universe. Inside Jesse's mortal body, Genesis can fulfil how it wants if its the offspring. But who says Jesse isn't the offspring of some other hanky panky session?

All we know is that the Angels and Demon, including the Devil and the God walk among us as if it's normal everyday business. If this is true, the business Grail does is even more mysterious. Does All Father really rule the business for the Templar benefit, or is he responsible to the people at upstairs?

JVox1k3.jpg

Like Jesse I cannot really understand what problem Herr Starr has on taking out his boss? It is as if he's scared of the Templar father. And, like Jesse said, he should have taken the pistol and put a bullet in AllFather's head. One thing, what the AllFather is hiding under his redcap? It makes me think that he's some sort of automaton that the Heaven made to rule the Grail for being able to take a bullet in his chest and live through it.

1ibvGoy.jpg

Who is this guy? A neonazi?

Ok so the last two episodes have been quite the revelation!
First up we learn that Grandma is far more powerful than we thought; she's not just a country witch but one with a phone line direct to the Devil himself. Whilst she might have argued for her freedom from the Devils hold over her soul she might also have requested other powers to bolster herself*. So she's going to be one powerful challenge to overcome.

Eugine appears to have had a chance too, his mouth area appears bigger than before in the last episode. Either something is changing in him slowly or it might be a cosmetic issue (more than one actor has developed allergies to their costumes which have resulted in changes or even loss of actors**

Herr Starr appears to have something that stops him killing the Allfather, it might even prevent him speaking about it. Lets not forget he got to his current position by killing the competition and killing his superior. I've wondered before that Allfather has some power or hold over him to keep him in line and this last episode really reinforces it. Whatever it is its clear that its a very powerful hold as the Allfather will make the world burn whilst Herr Starr clearly will not allow that.
I am surprised that Jessie hasn't tried the voice. Even in its broken form it had some effect and might have been enough to cause confusion for a few key moments.

Also the cast is getting more broken up and complicated and intertwined. I'm sensing that sometime soon there is going to be a major meeting of powerful characters and a big event that causes many to come together. Some perhaps on or fighting for the wrong side.

*Might it be that the Allfather also has divine or devilish boons?

** I forget names but Rev Bem (sp) from the Andromeda TV series and the blue alien woman from the early seasons of Farscape. Both developed allergies that resulted in them having to leave their character roles

New line of thinking on the series that deserves its own post
I was thinking, whilst brushing my teeth, why is it that Genesis is like a powerful light whilst the angles and demons are shown as full bodied creatures. Then it struck me (and I feel daft for how long its taken!)

What if all the angles and demons and even the devil and god that we've seen are all human bodies. What if they are like a symbiotic relationship between them and humanity. In order for them to act and have impact on the world they must take possession of a physical body. Perhaps originally at random or when a person suited them; now it being clear that Heaven at least has a re-birth system (we've seen one hell creature - the boatman - be killed by another Hell worker so it suggests that Hell hasn't got this facility or that it operates differently, eg back to a low ranking demon). It might even explain some of the relative innocent status of the Heavenly Angels if the result of "cloned" or "copied" bodies means that the host bodies are not complete (no life lived of experiences) and thus they lack a certain realness and grounding in reality.

This might explain why God is the Dog character; if God perhaps abandoned his original body and leaped into another (thus also helping explain how he could go missing); could it be this new body was the sex performers body. That that performers life and influences are now as much a part of God as the divine soul sharing the body - hence influencing him and how he acts and chooses to behave and display himself.

Genesis being much younger might have little to no capacity to control its host in a direct manner. Hence why its more "instinctive" in how it behaves (although some actions by Jessie might have been Genesis twisting events to a longer further off goal). It might even be that in the normal working of things, host and spirit are not supposed to "control" each other as they are supposed to form a perfect duality whereby they become one living creature.

First up we learn that Grandma is far more powerful than we thought; she's not just a country witch but one with a phone line direct to the Devil himself. Whilst she might have argued for her freedom from the Devils hold over her soul she might also have requested other powers to bolster herself*. So she's going to be one powerful challenge to overcome.

You're thinking that the devil offered Grandma a deal on Genesis in exchange of her delivering Jesse to the old horned one. After Lucifer, Preacher's Devil is the stupid one. If he gave her another ability then surely Miss Maureen is never going to set her foot into the Hell dimension. And if the souls are really his business, Grandma is the price he wants to acquire. We already got a glimpse from her dream what they're going to display to her once she get chucked into one of those cells.

I am surprised that Jessie hasn't tried the voice. Even in its broken form it had some effect and might have been enough to cause confusion for a few key moments.

I'm not. It clearly whistles and once that surprise is gone, he is going to get beaten and possibly shot. Many times.

This might explain why God is the Dog character; if God perhaps abandoned his original body and leaped into another (thus also helping explain how he could go missing); could it be this new body was the sex performers body. That that performers life and influences are now as much a part of God as the divine soul sharing the body - hence influencing him and how he acts and chooses to behave and display himself.

Genesis being much younger might have little to no capacity to control its host in a direct manner. Hence why its more "instinctive" in how it behaves (although some actions by Jessie might have been Genesis twisting events to a longer further off goal). It might even be that in the normal working of things, host and spirit are not supposed to "control" each other as they are supposed to form a perfect duality whereby they become one living creature.

It is a nice theory. Especially with the Genesis being part of the cosmic family.In the Book of Enough, Angels mated with human girls and their offspring got powers. Their leader even started glowing, but one thing that united the Neblihim was that they were all giants. The God got pissed off with them and ordered a biblical flood to struck them off from face of the Earth. So, if God is really pissed, he has his reasons and there's no stopping him on his revenge.

Grandma is feeling vulnerable and weak at present, she's old and feeling her age and her fear of mortality is clearly having an effect on her mind (although its clear from the early presentation of her that she was never that sound of mind nor nice of character). Even that she might well turn over Jessy and Genesis to the Devil for a new deal. Even if the Devil loses her soul he gains so much more; in fact I doubt Grandma realises that the Devil could gain so much that whatever deal they hold could be nullified.

Oh and the subject of weak vampire hunters. If we assume that most vampires are like Cass in that they don't have much individual power or ability then chances are they are just not experienced in dealing with high power vampires. Also don't forget that Cass wasn't supposed to be immune to vampire tranquillizer so their little operation was fairly quickly ended. We've seen Cass, drugged up to the eyeballs, take out similar vampire hunters before (in his first appearance)

Grandma is feeling vulnerable and weak at present, she's old and feeling her age and her fear of mortality is clearly having an effect on her mind (although its clear from the early presentation of her that she was never that sound of mind nor nice of character). Even that she might well turn over Jessy and Genesis to the Devil for a new deal.

The only weakness she has is her confidence. She can walk, move around without the wheelchair. She can talk the devil to do a mission so Grandma has nothing wrong in her head department, other then she's not feeling confident.