Preacher - Garth Ennis's incredible comic picked up by AMC

ctg

weaver of the unseen
If you happened to come across Preacher I would recommend you to pop into a local comic/games shop to acquire this incredible series before AMC starts airing the episodes. At the moment, there has been only a few picks and couple of rumours about the pilot, but for now it seems that Preacher is getting full treatment, and you, gentle viewers, another incredible show that otherwise wouldn't had seen daylight in the small screen. Thing is, there's no way to make this story into a single movie or three. Preacher takes Reverend Jesse Custer to trip across US heartland on a quest of find God after he was given some extraordinary powers.

v0dAAoc.jpg

For the pilot episode, Dominic Cooper was in the Jesse role. The cast also included Ruth Negga (Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flower-dress-wearing Raina) as Jesse's ex, Joseph Gilgun (of This Is England and Misfits) as a vampire, Tom Brooke (Wiggy from Sherlock series 3) as an angel, and Ian Colletti (of American comedy drama Rake) as a disfigured character called Arseface.

Of course, there could be casting changes before Preacher comes to our screens, but that's a fairly impressive line-up as it is.
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/preacher/36889/preacher-picked-up-for-series-by-amc-teaser-poster

Great news. Preacher was awesome.

Those very few pictures I've seen from the pilot episode correlates with Ennis vision and Dillon's drawings. Only thing is that arseface isn't going to look as gruel as he's in the comics. And now that AMC has picked this up I'm expecting the quality is going to be on bar with their other production, which in recent years has been amazing. In fact, I could claim AMC has overpassed HBO in quality.

One of the big question marks over the Preacher TV series - which will air on AMC and stars Dominic Cooper in the title role - is whether the adaptation process would allow for a completely faithful adaptation of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's acclaimed but at times rather twisted comic, which is all about a vengeful preacher on a quest to literally find God.

Chatting to Crave Online, Seth Rogen (who’s executive producing the show with Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin) admitted that "there's some things that even Garth will argue, is quick to admit, that we probably should not even attempt to put on television."

"There’s some characters, we're talking about maybe we combine these two into one person," he explained. "But to us the tangential element is one of our favourite things. The fact that it does go off into these other worlds and explore these other characters, I mean that's something that we wholeheartedly intend on indulging in because it’s one of the best parts about the comic. Just the massive tapestry of ****ing weirdos [Laughs]."

"We are changing the specifics of how the narrative is unfolding. A lot of the building blocks we are not changing, a lot of characters we're keeping, but we want to make a show that if you're a fan of the comic, you don't know what to expect. And we have no interest honestly in just doing a literal page-to-page adaptation. It just seems like the most boring creative endeavor one could go on!" he added.

And when can we expect the show to air? Well, Rogen explained that they’re "trying to plan the whole season before we start shooting and writing it. So our hope is to start filming in February and I think we’ll start airing sometime next summer, basically."
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/preache...-be-a-100-faithful-adaptation-says-seth-rogen

Saw the trailer on The Walking Dead. Not familiar with the comics series, but the show looks like it will be highly watchable. It's AMC, so it's got to be great. Right?

Saw the trailer on The Walking Dead. Not familiar with the comics series, but the show looks like it will be highly watchable. It's AMC, so it's got to be great. Right?

It'll be more watchable for me than THE WALKING DEAD, that's for sure.

I can't do gore and generally steer clear of zombie flicks and series.

It'll be more watchable for me than THE WALKING DEAD, that's for sure.

I can't do gore and generally steer clear of zombie flicks and series.
Not a fan of gore and horror myself, but I do love those zombies. It's my way of maintaining a positive self-image: No matter how dumb I get, I'll always be smarter than a zombie. Set the bar low, I say.:)

Zombie Meatloaf?

*BARF*
In a post-zombie apocalypse world, zombies, indeed, would be a most plentiful source of protein.

They would need to be fresh. I can't emphasize that enough.

Experiments would be required to determine if putting zombie, in any form, on the dinner table would cause the diner to become a zombie. That would be counter-productive.

Lengthy cooking at a high temperature might kill the virus suspected to be the root cause of zombification. My personal belief is that the real cause is alien nanites. (see the documentary, Plan 9 from Outer Space for more background information)

Meatloaf might be the ideal entree because you never know what's in it. Thank you for that suggestion. I may just have the perfect recipe.

People with impeccable epicurean credentials, such as yourself, would be a highly valued resource. Could I interest you, as a service to Humanity, in signing up as a test subject? No further obligation, unless the apocalypse actually occurs.

Not tempted? A $5 McDonald's gift card will be awarded to each volunteer survivor. That's five full items off the dollar menu.;)

I'm not sure about it yet. The casting looks good so far, but I'm a huge fan of the original series and it has been said that it is going to be set up as a formulaic show, which might deviate from the original story.

I shall have to wait and see and hope. From the look of it, if they do it right it could be magnificent.

I still have reservations (based on the rumours that I mentioned above), but the trailer has addressed them a little and I'm really looking forward to it. Just hope they follow the main comic storyline, rather than make it a standalone episode each week.

Bringing a hugely deformed character like Arseface from the comics to the screen is one of the Preacher TV show’s biggest stylistic challenges. Here’s what executive producer Evan Goldberg has said on how they’ve approached it:

“I mean, I think the starting place was finding the Ian Colletti, the actor, because, like, you know, first we had to know what his face looked like, what his body structure was and all that. And, then, kind of just figure out how to make it look realistic and, you know, have impact but not look cartoony in any way or silly.”

Seth Rogen added this:

“There had been something online that existed of some test that someone had done that looked exactly like how it looked in the comic, and as soon as I saw that, I knew we should not try to make it look exactly how it looked in the comic, and we should take some license and try to make it something maybe a little more … palatable, I guess might be the word. And we wanted the character to being sympathetic and ultimately, like, some one you really rooted for.”

So, it’ll be a ‘palatable’ Arseface, then. Perhaps that’s for the best.
Preacher: Rogen and Goldberg talk Arseface challenges

1.01 Pilot
Quirky and disturbing. Totally entertaining.
Nice to see that there's life beyond Agents of SHIELD for Ruth Negga.

Reactions: ctg