Preacher - Garth Ennis's incredible comic picked up by AMC

1.06 Sundowner

Helluva heavenly fight scene! :rolleyes:

OK, it's fantasy and all that, but how does a fight that goes on forever and involves multiple gunshots not draw the cops to the door? And how do you explain or clean up a room packed with dead duplicate bodies?

As long as the agents from heaven spontaneously regenerate upon death, why not have their previous bodies simultaneously disappear? Balance the matter and energy relationship a little.

I know -- suspend my disbelief. I guess these points are pretty minor in a series centered on chasing the Love Child of Heaven and Hell which somehow escaped from its coffee can prison cell.

I laughed out loud when, after the massive struggle to "restrain" the kick-ass angel, Cassidy pops in and kills her, putting them back to square one.

I feel sorry for Arseface/Eugene. Was that an "oops" or intentional because Eugene was getting in the way of his grandiose plans? Does Genesis Jesse have the power to bring him back from Hell?

I'm still mystified as to where the flashbacks to the Old West and the murderous cowboy fit into the story. Is that tree at the church the same one the cowboy used to hang the whole settler group?

I also don't know how Quinncannon was serving God when he executed the pillars of the community in his office.

Jackie Earle Haley is perfectly cast as the bewhiskered, rodent-faced Quinncannon. Loved his character in Human Target.

1.07 He Gone
Which one?
Eugene or Cassidy? I can't believe Cassidy would test Jesse's friendship by doing anything that would be fatal. What's a little burning flesh to an immortal vampire? Rub some lotion on it.

1.06 Sundowner

Helluva heavenly fight scene! :rolleyes:

OK, it's fantasy and all that, but how does a fight that goes on forever and involves multiple gunshots not draw the cops to the door? And how do you explain or clean up a room packed with dead duplicate bodies?

As long as the agents from heaven spontaneously regenerate upon death, why not have their previous bodies simultaneously disappear? Balance the matter and energy relationship a little.

I know -- suspend my disbelief. I guess these points are pretty minor in a series centered on chasing the Love Child of Heaven and Hell which somehow escaped from its coffee can prison cell.

I laughed out loud when, after the massive struggle to "restrain" the kick-ass angel, Cassidy pops in and kills her, putting them back to square one.

I feel sorry for Arseface/Eugene. Was that an "oops" or intentional because Eugene was getting in the way of his grandiose plans? Does Genesis Jesse have the power to bring him back from Hell?

I'm still mystified as to where the flashbacks to the Old West and the murderous cowboy fit into the story. Is that tree at the church the same one the cowboy used to hang the whole settler group?

I also don't know how Quinncannon was serving God when he executed the pillars of the community in his office.

Jackie Earle Haley is perfectly cast as the bewhiskered, rodent-faced Quinncannon. Loved his character in Human Target.

What an opening to the episode. This show is off the rictor scale in bonkersland. Loving every minute of it especially as the show seems to build on a growing darkness with every episode.

Soundtrack is great too.

Not familiar with the comic but watched the first episode last night. It had wonderful production values, but there was too much focus on the gross and grotesque for my personal tastes - never been a big horror fan, so think I'll bow out. :)

Not familiar with the comic but watched the first episode last night. It had wonderful production values, but there was too much focus on the gross and grotesque for my personal tastes - never been a big horror fan, so think I'll bow out.

It isn't horror, more of play with a very grotesque scenes. So I cannot recommend this to viewed with very young people. But I would recommend it for the adult people, especially with a bit more matured mind to understand concepts behind the scenes. Younger adults might have different views on the subjects in hand. It just they might not have enough of life-experience to really enjoy certain things in this wonderful series.

Not familiar with the comic but watched the first episode last night. It had wonderful production values, but there was too much focus on the gross and grotesque for my personal tastes - never been a big horror fan, so think I'll bow out. :)
Very, very dark humor. Not for everyone.

1.08 El Valero
Nice to know that Cassidy survived, but did Tulip really to sacrifice that poor, sweet dog to feed Cassidy' recovery? :sick: Damn vampires. :mad:

1.09 Finish the Song
The blood and gore is really overshadowing the humor here.
Tulip feeding tiny cute animals and the dog to Cassidy last episode was bad enough, but Emily adding the mayor to the menu this time around was a little too much.
Then, came the fate of the combative angel the agents had disabled by dismemberment and left in a bathtub awash in blood. She was understandably begging for death, although not for the same reason a mortal would have.
When Sheriff Root finally decided to grant her wish, he could have simply shot her. Instead he chose to strangle her with his bare hands. Obviously the guy has issues.
The cowboy's repeating mass murder scene in the bar was difficult to watch and rewatch, even when fast-forwarded.
So, that's his sentence in Hell, from which the agents will free him to kill Jesse. OK. Seemed like getting that point across took up more time than it should have.
Amid all this carnage, I caught very little humor -- leaving the radio on in the motel room for the disabled angel, taking the "no carry-ons" shuttle bus to Hell, the local pet store being "onto" Tulip and cutting off her purchases. I suppose Jesse's quick acceptance that Cassidy had killed the mayor and his willingness to help him dispose of the body contained an element of black humor on some level, but fell short.
I think the season finale next week will determine whether it's the series finale for me.

1.10 Call and Response
OK, I'll be watching next season.
I want to see Jesse kick God's ass -- that is, if his search for the missing deity is successful and God refuses to accept his help.

I want to see Jesse kick God's ass -- that is, if his search for the missing deity is successful and God refuses to accept his help.

Well, it can happen, or then it might not.

The Preacher's first season is brilliant adaptation of Garth Ennis comic. It delivers the goods without shattering anyone beliefs. It's not laughing at God but it shows a what-if-situation without taking a piss to the religious issues. The series finished as it started, with an explosion at both ends. Although in this end of season the delivery method is even more brilliant.

There are moments where you laugh, shout, rage and cry to the beauty of this series, and I recommend it warmly to all who has an open mind. Don't take this series too seriously, because it's as much fun as other AMC shows, and if you do, you will miss good laughs. Nevertheless, I've not see a better first season then what the producers of The Preacher has brought us at this summer. It's been a good fun and I cannot wait to see what's waiting for us in the future.

In the meantime, I also recommend people to read the comics if you can get your hands on them. It will give you answers.

The series finished as it started, with an explosion at both ends. Although in this end of season the delivery method is even more brilliant
Yes. Destroying the whole town in a firestorm caused by igniting what was essentially collection of cow farts was inspired.
Having the bogus God hooked off-stage once Jesse realized he was a fake was another hoot. I also laughed at the modem dial-up sound effects as Jesse made the Heaven Phone connection, and at the congregation member's shouted question "What did you do to the dinosaurs?"
I'm thinking that whenever the Cowboy kills an immortal, he or she stays dead, which appears to be the case with DeBlanc, who did come back on the bus from Hell with Fiore; and with the avenging angel (sorry, don't know if she has a name) who gets blown away at the end and is not immediately regenerated.

Generally I was really enjoying this series, though I found it peaked by about episode 6 and then the silliness went a little overboard. The show has an excellent atmosphere and setting though and a peppering of great and fun scenes.
The three star characters end going off on adventures. However episode 10 was dreadful really. The cowboy scene went on and on and on, but it made a point. The God scene was just too laughable and it just wasn't particularly exciting. A pity as I was hoping and expecting something great. The stuff with the meat company owner the previous few episodes wasn't great either.

I read the first graphic novel a while ago and enjoyed it. Maybe the 2nd season will be better. The AMC runners must be optimistic as viewer numbers were under 3 million some episodes. But it is certainly different!

I think I'm missing something. Is the whole town not now in Hell? Did it just go there in the last episode, or did it go there when Jesse commanded "Go to Hell" and the "Silliness" began? Or was it always there?

This is why God cannot be found there, and why the Angels aren't supposed to be there. It also explains why the hundred and fifty year-old dead bounty hunter can track Jesse, and why Cassidy can't die (because Vampires are mythical not real things.) Jesse is possessed by a demon.

Then the trip that they are about to make is just a modern version on Dante's Inferno. This is the only way it makes any sense at all to me.

Is the whole town not now in Hell?

No. It's not. Instead it's mostly gone and there are few survivors left to pick up the pieces.

Did it just go there in the last episode, or did it go there when Jesse commanded "Go to Hell" and the "Silliness" began? Or was it always there?

It never went there.

This is why God cannot be found there, and why the Angels aren't supposed to be there. Jesse is possessed by a demon.

God left Heaven, and He didn't give any instructions, when he disappeared. Angels tried to remedy the situation by putting a False God onto the view screen, when humans contacted Heaven. And the thing inside Jesse isn't a demon, or an angel, it's the Voice of God.

It also explains why the hundred and fifty year-old dead bounty hunter can track Jesse,

Saint of Killers isn't exactly a bounty hunter.

250px-The_Saint_of_Killers_SOK4_Cover.jpg

Due to his many, many murders, he was consigned and relegated to Hell. When a soul enters Hell, the horror of the environment's sheer hostility evaporates away the humanity from it; along with all the love, fear and hatred. However, much to the surprise of the Devil the soldier's hatred could not be contained, causing Hell to literally freeze over.

Disturbed and intrigued, the Devil personally came out of his palace to find out what happened, which lead to them discovering the source of Hell's problem: the freezing cold soul of the gunman. The Devil tried beating the hatred out of him, to no avail. His hatred remained cold, untouchable and resilient.

Finally, the man revealed the source of his intractable hate: The only good thing in his bad life was taken from him, and he died without killing McCready, leaving his vengeance unsated. The Angel of Death, in the area for a poker game and weary of his position, suggested a solution to his problem: the gunman would take his place, bringing death at God's will. He would wield two pistols, composed of the Angel's sword, and he could have his revenge and much, much more. The man agreed. The Devil tended to the gunman's wounds, the magical Walker Colts were cast, and the man left Hell—but not before gunning down the Devil after the latter insulted him.
Saint of Killers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angel was sent to wake the Saint of Killers and to instruct him with the task of finding and killing a young man named Jesse Custer. Before being shot through the head by the Saint, he spoke to him about the offspring of both demon and angel, Genesis; whose power was greater than God's. Because of Genesis's possession of Jesse, the young preacher has been granted ability of The Word of God, allowing him to give vocal orders that cannot be disobeyed, and this frightened the Angels.

Last edited:
I think I'm missing something. Is the whole town not now in Hell? Did it just go there in the last episode, or did it go there when Jesse commanded "Go to Hell" and the "Silliness" began? Or was it always there?

This is why God cannot be found there, and why the Angels aren't supposed to be there.
It was only Eugene who was sent to Hell. Why he can be seen by Jesse I'm not clear. Maybe they have a link or it is some insanity/Jesse's mind reminding he needs to rescue Eugene. Also the Angels travelled to Hell to bring back the killer (who hates preachers).

God was not even in Heaven. The Angels didn't know where he is. The town meanwhile was destroyed.

Cassidy's healing powers is nothing to do with the town or Hell either. We saw him recuperate already before reaching the town when he jumped from the plane and then killed a cow.

ctg mentions Jesse has the voice of God inside of him. It seemed from the explanation in the series that what was inside of him was some kind of spawn from a Demon and an Angel. Though it is effectively like giving him the power of the Word of God, but it also has some effect on his decisions. A hunger for power and/or influence.

. A hunger for power and/or influence.

I believe Jesse isn't exactly interested on being able to influence a great deal of populations. He doesn't even understand himself being equivalent to a demigod. He can die, he will get hurt, and he certainly can feel pain, not talking about inflicting it all on his own.

@Judderman thanks - that explanation does make sense. However, now that they are going off on a "quest to find God" they will only be able to look for him on Earth (if they are restricted to Earth.). I'm sorry, but personally <joke> I don't find much evidence for him being around here. (And I guess that is really the big joke of the whole show.)