Preacher - Garth Ennis's incredible comic picked up by AMC

Overread

All Hail Skaven!
I think there is generally a lot more chance for series like Preacher today than there was in the past. A lot of the newer companies like Amazon are keen to build a reputation for themselves and I think they are not yet big enough (in TV worlds) that they end up like the BBC - only ever going after the MOST profitable that gets the most mass appeal.

It's a shame Firefly didn't come around now as they'd have more chance of at least being picked up by another studio than being left to die.

I'm actually surprised that "Into the Badlands" is just a bit more popular than Preacher! It's good, but I always felt it spent the whole of the first season just getting going whilst Preacher hit hte ground running. I guess the religious theme loses it some viewers and it might not be getting advertised as strongly as some other series which might mean many don't see it.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Preacher definitely hit the ground at a full gallop, but it took a while for those like myself -- unfamiliar with the comic version -- to catch up. Once I did (and became accustomed to the over-the-top violence) I have been thoroughly entertained by the series.
Today's canceled shows do have a shot at an afterlife these days via streaming services. Let's hope it doesn't come to that for Preacher.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
I just saw a Dalmatian on a TV commercial pushing Ozempic (some drug that does I don't know what. I'd follow directions and ask my doctor if it's right for me -- if I had a doctor) and thought "Hmm. How much did they have to pay God to be in that commercial?" :LOL:

Reactions: ctg

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Ozark has a preacher, who also goes bad. Unlike in this series, he's role is closely matched to a role of local pastor in America's lake district. In the first season he's used to commit a crime, in the second one he advanced to actually commit a crime. I hope AMC gives the Preacher as chance to finish the story before they pull the plug on this.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Well they took their time. I wonder was it a money question or simply because the Preacher is so weird that it might not have actually a great deal of fans.
Must be the free publicity we're giving it. ;)

Reactions: ctg

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Must be the free publicity we're giving it. ;)
What a world would be like, if they actually gave some transparency to the viewing figures, including UK, EU and Australia? It is one of the few summer series that is meant for the SFF and H lovers.

Overread

All Hail Skaven!
Darn that's a shame, but I agree that at least as they know in advance they can at work toward producing a viable conclusion to the whole series. Then again if I recall right weren't they basically sort of heading toward the end of the comic through the series anyway. Ergo that we'd have expected the end in season 4 unless they strung it out.