The Library of America

Wilson might be flawed in his views about Tolkein(not read much of Lovecraft) but LOA series is to me a great series with nice quality hardcover editions i can use to collect my best American authors. I also like the idea of having important classic lit in print almost forever in non-profit way. It drives me crazy when important classic Swedish lit we study in school are out of print for example.

I started collecting the series because of Edgar Allan Poe different volumes of his tales,poetry and his criticism,essays.

I have LOA books by: 1 Poe, 2 Hammett and i plan to get much more with alltime fav authors like Philip K Dick, Elmore Leonard, Jack London, Ross Macdonald, Washington Irving, Lafcadio Hearn.

I think its nice to see new additions to the series like Elmore Leonard who the american critics calls "Dickens of Detroit". Nice to see great writers with real literary talent of crime, noir fiction too.

The Library of America issues are generally very good. I like the production values very much not to mention the content. I probably have about a dozen titles to date.

Every time I visit this sub forum I'm reminded of how seldom I've been here (Chrons) of late..SIGH.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to give as much attention to the series proper as I would have liked -- it falls rather lower on my list of priorities than one might perhaps think, knowing my tastes; but....

At any rate, I have read a few volumes -- the Hawthorne, the Lovecraft (of course); the Poe; the selection of works by Charles Brockden Brown (which I really need to pick up a copy of), and a few others. As others have said, a sterling series altogether, and I for one do not in the least begrudge Wilson such a memorial. However short-sighted he may have been when it comes to genre writing, in the main he was an acute and valuable critic. Idiosyncratic at times, but nonetheless one well worth hearing.

Oh, wow. I used to have a lot more of these, but I still have the Henry James and James Thurber ones, at least. Beige ones, in the slipcover boxes, with the red stripes. I'd love to get more of them back in my collection.

Just like these:
mxVP73ju4dLRttB9SiVz0KQ.jpg

Really? Wow -- that's not good. Examples?

Oh some of the books of just a certain classic Swedish great who just happened to be the first woman ever to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. Selma Lagerlöf is like the Swedish Toni Morrison.... Also many books by great modern classics poets like Karin Boye who is like the swedish Silvia Plath in terms of importance, talent and greatness.

This country is much smaller publisher world driven by one big company that prefer mostly male classic authors and generic crime fiction like Steig Larsson to sell to US, UK.....

I am not very familiar with these, although I have read some of the stuff they keep in print.

I have read this collection:

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=361

As good an introduction to 20th century American crime fiction as any.

I also read this collection:

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=310

My only quibble would be that it leans heavily to horror rather than to other kinds of fantasy, but it's a fine selection.

I did not have this collection, but I have read all the novels it brings together:

http://www.loa.org/sciencefiction/novels.jsp

This series has come up on another thread somewhere but I can't find it. I said that I didn't have any but wanted some. Now I've picked up a few (thankfully, used) but I can't remember if I said anything about it. I haven't read any of them yet (and, indeed, have read very little except Crane in any edition), so I can't address quality of proofreading or anything, as essential as that is.

None of mine have dustjackets; all have nifty insewn bookmarks. I have the Stephen Crane (1984, green covers, no slipcase, first printing), the two Hawthorne volumes (1983-4, red covers, white slipcases, sixth and eighth printings) and the two Welty volumes (1998, blue covers, white slipcases, first printings). Other than the cover colors changing and the attribution of distributor being changed from the irony of Viking to the more apparent irony of Penguin, they don't seem to have changed over those years.

Everything about them seems designed for minimizing size, which has its pros and cons. They don't take up much shelfspace. The covers seem nice, but thin. The paper seems very nice (and seems to have sewn signatures like a real hardcover rather than a glued block like today's usual hardcovers), yet almost onion-skin-like, which makes it very easy for them to get "bubbles" or creases. But even the oldest is bright and white with good contrast and the type looks good. Also, there are nice chronologies, notes on the text, general notes, and sometimes other features but they are quite minimal. There are no big essays/introductions or anything like that. But all this is perhaps to make a sort of minimal "complete works" of an author in one or two volumes take up about the space of one or two ordinary volumes: five novels or five collections or the like per volume in many cases.

Also a pro or con: while I do not want excessive editorial interference, I believe that, when authors wrote what they wrote, the ink was not dry and they were conscious of themselves and their work as fully modern. So I think the "expressive flavor of the archaic" is nonsensical and spelling and mechanics should be modernized and regularized as far as can be done without actually altering anything deeper in the work so that they can be as modern to us as they were to themselves. My LoA volumes (and presumably most or all LoA volumes) seem to take the opposite approach, with minimal editing, drawn from recent (relative to the book's publication) scholarly texts (which naturally preserve archaisms) where available (Virginia, Ohio State, etc.).

Lastly, they are awfully expensive - not if you're used to buying ordinary crappy hardcovers and you consider you're getting better made books with vastly more content, but just given the pure dollar figure (30 bucks or so).

Oh, and (almost) like VS, I have copies of everything in the LoA 50s SF set (and have read all but the Brackett (ironically, the only Brackett I haven't read) and the Matheson (though I picked up the Matheson because of the LoA set)) and the same applies to some other LoA volumes. Overall, I kind of like the LoA selections: it's mostly the stolid conventional canon and quite respectable but they're not so stiff they can't bend and print some SF and crime and whatnot. So I think it's nicely "progressively conservative," so to speak. I'm sure they're missing somebody essential and have included somebody terrible, but that would be true of anything.

Lastly, they are awfully expensive - not if you're used to buying ordinary crappy hardcovers and you consider you're getting better made books with vastly more content, but just given the pure dollar figure (30 bucks or so).

Thats almost the whole point or reason for the series so exist for me. Just like there must be never out of print books of classic,legendary authors from US i want to collect my most loved,admired American classic authors in expensive, lasting hardcovers i can take from my bookshelf decades later. I dont want to see the best stories of Poe,Jack London, Philip K Dick, Dashiell Hammett, Washtington Irving, Flannery O'Connor, Elmore Leonard to decay in cheap trade paperbacks.

I feel good seeing great authors in quality,light paper like its old style hardcovers but new books.

I think though LOA suck for a reason how can you have any modern classic fiction authors like Shirley Jackson or Lovecraft or even decent authors like Raymond Chandler but not add one of the most important American authors ever in Sylvia Plath. There are many good but less important authors they have published in LOA......