Discussion thread -- September 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

Oooh, I've never seen a tie-breaker before. Exciting!
I've voted for holland ths time around, Robert Mackay only narrowly beat this story the first time around anyway for me.

Oooh, I've never seen a tie-breaker before. Exciting!

It certainly is and means I have to hold off on my hit list for a while longer. Thanks for my mentions this month, they are always much appreciated. Two votes were wonderful and much appreciated too.

Mr Holland, I like it, but "don't code angry" gets it for me. Well done Cul and best of luck to you both.

I'm off to load up this months RAY GUNS with curry sauce and hunt down non-voters (or anyone I happen to find really, I'm not fussy).

Oooh how exciting! I am, however, going to stick with my original vote for Holland :)

Firstly I'd like to thank Ashleyne and Ursa for votes :)
secondly I have voted for Cul as he was my runner-up in the first round of voting,
great stories both Cul and Holland, still a close tiebreaker.

Thanks for the mentions, and Grimward for the vote.
I failed to vote this month as I was away - please accept the view below as my apology.
Not sure if I should vote in the tie-break...but I probably will anyway.

full

Yeah, vote away. So where did you take the pic, Glen? Knowing this country's sameness it could be anywhere.

Just in case anyone's interested - but nobody liked it much, so probably not - cyberpunk and versification seemed strange bedfellows. But:-
the web said:
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker (born March 22, 1946) is an American mathematician,[1] computer scientist, science fiction author,[2] and philosopher, and is one of the founders of the cyberpunk literary movement. The author of both fiction and non-fiction, he is best known for the novels in the Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which (Software and Wetware) both won Philip K. Dick Awards.
So $i decided to squeeze 'Software' into seventy-five words (the original idea was to compress the entire tetralogy into three verses, but they are remarkably information rich). Even in this I failed and ended up with a sort of prologue to 'Software'.

Oh, and congratulations - we got more votes than stories for once (even if this was done by reducing story numbers, rather than increasing votes). But there were still meritorious submissions that didn't get a mention (except in the splendid reviews) - we need to persuade more innocents into our spider's parlour. After all, how difficult can it be to choose a vote?

Please don't answer this - let them find out by experience. :D

Last edited:
I went for Cul as I would have shortlisted him had I had time to do such a thing at the weekend. Good luck, both!

And thanks for all mentions etc. (I hope I've liked everyone that did.)

Congrats to both of you. I voted for Holland the first time and did again

Thank you so much Culhwch and DEO for the sneaky last day votes. I was very happy to get those!

Cul got my vote first time round, so that was easy. :)

I just noticed that I'd had a couple more votes, too, in the original poll! Thank you Jo and Robert M. :)
And also thanks for the shortlistings and mentions, Martin, JJ, Alice and Ursa.

Wow, two days or so away and not only do I get a mention from StillLearning, Chrispenycate, and johnnyjet, but a vote from Mad Alice as well. I was not expecting a vote after looking at all the other entries, but I am grateful for the vote and mentions. I was starting to think I was to dialog heavy with my entry. On top of those surprises, I miss a tied vote as well, but I already put in my vote for the tie breaker, backing Holland since I like the back and forth of the narrative.

On an amusing note, I was so surprised by the vote and mentions I actually went back through the pages and did a search for my name just to make sure I hadn't missed any after I saw johnnyjet's mention. It was a good thing I did. I blame getting off vacation and purchasing Forza Horizon 2 for my distraction. Now I am off to drive my Koenignegg Agera through some vineyards(something you could never say about a real car of that value).

Wow, two days or so away and not only do I get a mention from StillLearning, Chrispenycate, and johnnyjet, but a vote from Mad Alice as well. I was not expecting a vote after looking at all the other entries, but I am grateful for the vote and mentions. I was starting to think I was to dialog heavy with my entry. On top of those surprises, I miss a tied vote as well, but I already put in my vote for the tie breaker, backing Holland since I like the back and forth of the narrative.

On an amusing note, I was so surprised by the vote and mentions I actually went back through the pages and did a search for my name just to make sure I hadn't missed any after I saw johnnyjet's mention. It was a good thing I did. I blame getting off vacation and purchasing Forza Horizon 2 for my distraction. Now I am off to drive my Koenignegg Agera through some vineyards(something you could never say about a real car of that value).

Was your car thirsty that you sent it through the vineyard? I would be careful with that were I you. Wine is more expensive then petrol even. Bad thing to get your car hooked on it. Not only for the expense, but you could end up with an auto with a drink-driving charge.

Great Stories both of you, but I had to vote for the one that won my heart first. Cul .....

Thanks for mentions guys, and Mad Alice that was such a creative way to give feedback! It's hard enough to read through the list, and discover which one to vote for, let alone rate all the stories. Wow!

Back