alien invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardsciencefanagain

Untitled,as yet

My own feelings /criticsm: the aliens aren't threatening enough,and not alien enough.

I was enjoying my lunchbreak underneath the oak tree in the courtyard when, somewhat unobtrusively,the alien appeared and walked up to me.
It resembled a tiny upright tapir with moose-like staghorns.
With some pomp,it handed me a small quadrangle of something that felt like plastic ,on which was printed: “Notice of Planetary Takeover”
“Not now,” I said,”come back in twenty minutes.”
It raised the parts of its face that looked like eyebrows.
“I don't understand.”
“Lunch break is sacred.”
“But,but, our spies never mentioned the importance of “lunch breaks” in their reports.”
“I'm betting they missed a lot of things,your spies.But I don't really want to be a spoilsport,
so …
I stuck out a hand.”The name's Ben.”
It tried to shake my hand with a tiny paw and failed.”Vlorg,Plenipotentiary Commander of the Military Invasion force.”
He pointed towards an ugly metallic contraption.”That's our ship,over there.”
“Hmmm, I thought the Municipal Waste Department was a tad early today. Just be careful people don't throw stuff in.And don't eject waste material,or they'll fine you bigtime.”
I started to read.
“Ok,first of all,I'd kick the backside of your legal department.You give no reason for the invasion.”
It managed to yank the notice out of my hands.
“Let me see that.Ok,fair enough.We'll make one up ex post facto.”
“I'll have to warn you: “because we feel like it” is NOT sufficient reason.”
“Drat.”
“One major drawback,legally speaking, is that our planet is the third in our system,and not the fourth.And today is not Thursday,but Wednesday.The whole document is amateurish,ramshackle.”
Vlorg clapped a tiny paw to its forehead.”I had a feeeling something was not right.”
I took the notice out of its paws, pointed to another paragraph.
“Furthermore,our planet does NOT have a single leader to take you to.There are hundreds of them,and you 'd have to approach them through their secretaries,and schedule an appointment with each of them.”
“Our sp..”
“Yes, your spying department needs a major overhaul.I take it nobody told you about secretaries?”
Vlorg lost its temper slightly.
“I'll let the ship blow up that building over there!”
“Actually,that one is scheduled to be demolished.”
He pointed to another office building.”No matter, we'll blow up that building.”
“People might actually enjoy that.There are only a bank and a law firm in that building.”
Still Vlorg wouldn't let up.
“We'll take all your natural resources.”
“Which ones?They're practically gone.Hey, do you want me to reorganize your inteligence Department?”
Vlorg's alien face managed to look despondent.“Tell you what, invading isn't what it used to be.”
”Just out of curiosity:what resources are you planning to plunder?”
Vlorg pondered a moment.”Actually it's quite a big list.”
“Shoot.”
“Really?”
“No ,no, it's just an Earth expression.”
“Ok,we're mostly interested in really really valuable materials, like sewage,plastic,car tyres, chemical waste, heavy metals, carbon dioxide, methane,bromides,fluorides,that kind of stuff.”
I smiled. “I take it they reward succesful generals on your home planet?”

“Really?”

“No ,no, it's just an Earth expression.”

“Ok,we're mostly interested in really really valuable materials, like sewage,plastic,car tyres, chemical waste, heavy metals, carbon dioxide, methane,bromides,fluorides,that kind of stuff.”

I smiled.“I take it they reward succesful generals on your home planet?”

Last edited:
The aliens are indeed not too scary or alien, but since this piece is obviously meant to be funny rather than scary, I think it works well here. It's a bit strange the character decided right away that it's an alien and not some kind of monster or a mutant tapir, maybe the alien should introduce himself as an alien. Apart from that, a nice funny little story!

My own feelings /criticsm: the aliens aren't threatening enough,and not alien enough

Yeah, I think Vlorg failed the "sufficiently alien" test when he/it started to speak Latin...

But as Jackie says, so what? It's tongue-in-cheek, and it's nicely satirical in places. It's breezy and fun.

However, if this is from a book it's littered with formatting errors, which - along with the ding-dong dialogue - kind of makes it read like a screenplay for a comedy sketch or skit rather than an excerpt from a novel.

There's also not much in the way of character - it's just a scene that happens - which also adds to the feeling of it as a sketch rather than prose. But it's pretty good!

That is f&%#$)&^ing hilarious. And they say the Dutch don't have a sense of humor. :whistle:

I rattle off these pieces in about an hour or so. I don't think about them much
This I wrote in the last half hour

Alwyn Harwood was merrily typing away at his keyboard, hard at work on his first novel.
All his phrases worked, and reasonable to excellent prose flowed like beer at an Oktoberfest.
Alwyn looked out of the window.
How to describe the beautiful villainess in his masterpiece?
He took a sip of his coffee,squinted, and started typing again.
“Her hair was like a waterfall of golden sunlight cascading down her bronzed back;her long lashed eyes, limpid pools;her lips were like rose petals,her breasts like bountif....”
He stopped immediately,grinding his teeth.
“Alright,Kleesh,show yourself.”
Cliche appeared,sitting crosslegged on his writing desk.
She was beautiful.Her hair was like a waterfall of sunlight,her rose petal lips......well, all of her
looked sensationally attractive.But ,like always,her timing was awful.
“ You know I hate you doing this.Where's Muse?”
“Muse has a hangover.She prefers to stay in bed.The night out with Dense Plotting was a bit to much for her.”
“She went out with Dense?”
“Are you jealous?”
“A little.Where's Metty?”
“Dunno if she'll show up.She ended up in bed with Longwinded Descriptions.”
“WHAT????.I need her,Kleesh.Otherwise I get stuck. And now I'm even more jealous.”
“You can't argue with her choice,Jack. Long has a way with words that the girls like.”
She slid from his desk and peered over his shoulder at the screen.Her sweet perfume,her golden tresses, her velvety skin,the pleasing warm pressure of her ample bosom on his left shoulder.....
“Kleesh, stop doing that.Now I can't concentrate.”
“Sorry,Al”. She pointed a incredibly sexy index finger at the screen.
”That part doesn't work for me. He's a cop,and he is happily married.Also, why isn't his black superintendent yelling at him ? And he LIKES the deskwork?”
“Kleesh, don't try to insert your own personal taste into my magnum opus.”
Metaphor and Muse materialized ,the latter was swaying ever so lightly.
“Owww,my head,it feels like ,like,like,well can't think of any simile now,but it feels horrible.”
Metaphor wanted to say something,thought better of it.
Alwyn looked thoughtfully at Metty. “What's with you sleeping over at Long's place?
“He makes me feel wanted,if you wanna know.”

Thanks for the um, update. Another ripper. That's Australian for something highly approved of. Damn, Ben, where you've be hiding that funny bone of yours?

Nice piece about cliche and muse, too. Made me smile. I like the way your imagination works :)

well, apart from not having a clue what the alien looks like from the description and the story having a need for polishing i really liked it. works as a nice piece of satirical flash fiction. not sure it would survive as much else though.

and droflet, i think in Oz you call it a bloggo, or maybe a shazwozza...

I really liked this. The aliens, which I agree are not alien enough, remind me of the Hitch Hiker’s Guide's Vogon's with their officious nature.

It would be cool, at least i think, if the thing had more of a physical presence to play against that officious nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.