Mr B.S not getting the love?

1. rmaxix

rmaxix Member

Hello all!

I just joined Chronicles as an aspiring author and lifetime fan. Although I was a little surprised that Brandon Sanderson has had no recent threads and as such I thought I could perhaps entice some discussion.

As most people I only discovered him when I completed the Wheel of Time series but since then I have sought out and read almost all his work.

With the second part (third and fourth books) of his Stormlight series now enjoying a well deserved rest upon my bookshelf I found myself asking is he the best fantasy author currently out there?

What really inspires me is that he has produced a range of novels and series which all have a unique take on magic systems. Is there another author out there that can say the same? (Please enlighten me)

2. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee writes books about people.

Shall I play devil's advocate. Now, I quite like Sanderson, but I don't think he's close to the best fantasy author out there (although, pushed into a corner, I'd say that's down to taste - I adore Bujold, many don't....)

Nor do I think he's one of the most original - his magic systems are usually pretty cool, but many of his world's are twists on classic fantasy worlds.

So, nice, escapist author who churns out a serious work load (I totally admire his work ethic) but, for me, lacks depth and, perhaps, the level of emotional engagement that makes me a gibbering wreck of a reader (which I quite enjoy being....)

Brian G Turner and rmaxix like this.
  3. rmaxix

rmaxix Member

I am ashamed to say I haven't read anything from Bujold, I am a little too old fashioned and still buy most of my books from the high street where I have never seen her works being sold. Would you advise starting with her fantasy or sci-fi?

Better be careful I don't go completely off the topic of Brandon Sanderson...

In terms of the fantasy world what I think he brings to the table is the intricate detail. In particular in the Stormlight novels I love how we are given impressions of the fashion and culture of the people of each land

I must admit that he doesn't typically go down the route of heavy emotional engagement, especially in terms of a love relationship between characters. However I actually find it quite refreshing as I have read too many books where you can see an author tries too hard to add a realistic love interest. Don't get me wrong I'm not against it, I suppose I just feel the market is saturated with it.

Jo Zebedee likes this.
  4. Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee writes books about people.

I prefer Bujold's sf, but I'm a sf kind of gal, mainly. Her fantasy is also good, and I have plans to read more than I currently have. :)

Actually, my problem isn't that he doesn't go down the romantic/relationship angle, but that I find it unconvincing when he does. Vim's love interest, for instance, is a drip* and, for me, I struggled to engage with him. If relationships happen, we should be able to see why.

* I'm not opinionated. Oh, no, not me ;) :)

5. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Welcome to chronicles, rmaxix! And I'm also surprised that we don't get more discussions on Brandon Sanderson's work - clearly his output is phenomenal. However, you're more than welcome to dig up old threads in the Brandon Sanderson section to get discussions going again - I'm sure once you reply to one or two, more people will join in with you. :)

6. thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Well-Known Member

Like others, I admire (and am jealous of) his productivity.

I've just begun Words of Radiance, at last. Once I'm done I'll probably check for a thread on that (don't want any spoilers before then).