"Starglide Berceuse", first chapter. ~1300 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihe

Forum Revolutionary
Alright. I've tweaked my one-man show a little since last time. No big changes, but changes all the same. I've also come up with a temporary name for the story that I think sounds awesome and might stay.
So, tell me what do you think. All feedback is welcome, ofc, but I'd be specially interested in comments on the pace and the tone I'm giving (or not giving) the piece.

-----

Captain Geiza Toth stood naked before the blinking nav-panel, a slouched wobble in his stance. Unruly hair didn't cover shame much past his shoulders. But Geiza was alone in the small room, so he basked in the flashing red lights for another minute.

He couldn´t remember a time aboard the ship without that cursed glow raking at his face. There was less of it now though. Some of the LEDs had incurred his wrath and had fizzled out some time ago. Since then he'd been saving the rest for special occasions.

And such an occasion had come. He'd found something new to play with and celebration was in order. He contemplated the steely gadget in his hand with half-open eyes. It was solid and T-shaped, a curved lever coming out of its body. He hadn´t the slightest clue as to its purpose, but judging from the weight figured it would do a fine job at bashing LEDs—and there were so many of those pesky red ones, constantly yelling empty dangers... It would certainly be easier than going at them bare-handed, as he'd done in the past.

Sluggish gaze went back and forth between panel and tool. The lights seemed to twinkle a ruby-patterned smirk his way. Had that other sensor just winked at him?

After a short struggle with inert fingers, the gizmo fell out of his hand. The resulting clatter startled him out of his stupor, giving him time to do something about the saliva making its way out his drooping mouth. But nothing was done. Drool kept on its path down his bearded chin, undeterred.

The LEDs laughed at him once more. The captain slurped back some of the fugitive spit and decided he wasn´t in the mood for a bit of casual vandalism after all. He wasn´t in the mood for much of anything and so went back to lying in his own filth. Curling up under the nav-panel, he rested his head on cold metal floor, hands between legs.

Boxes of a material not unlike plastic made up most of the nest that surrounded him. Other construction materials included left-over scraps not unlike edible food, a few bottles nearly empty of something not unlike water, and dirty blankets not unlike cotton. Not unlike, but not quite the same.

Half a biscuit (but not quite a biscuit) lay near his head. He craned his neck and scooped it up with parched lips. His own breath assaulted him—acid and thick. The bottles were right in front of his face, but he made no attempt to reach them. Pseudo-water couldn´t wash that down.

The biscuit rolled around in his mouth, soggy and unchewed. A small vibration tickled his ear and he repositioned himself. So many new things today: first, the tool thingamajig; now this pleasant tingle. A pity things never stay pleasant for long.

The floor bobbed up and down. Geiza thought that was odd, what with being in the frictionless void of space and all. At one point in time he might've said something about shock absorbers and stabilizing frameworks. Today was not that point. He managed an underachieving "huh" instead.

Another quiver down the back of the neck. Then the hairs in his nose, tickling furiously. His whole body was humming despite himself. The floor shook. His head banged against it, then once more when he sat up, against the underside of the nav-panel. The biscuit lodged in his throat.

It took Geiza a single denied breath to make him move. He clawed at the floor in a darting crawl toward the pilot chair, stirring muscles unused for months. The ship convulsed and knocked him sideways. The veins in his temples thickened and stretched skin, nudging his eyes out. He pawed at the chair's back, feeling the edges as he rose to his knees. His eyes weren't being a cooperative pair. Murk poured from their corners.

Fist dug into abdomen, he threw himself against the chair's headrest, trying his best to come down on his belly; hitting chest instead. He stood taller for another attempt. His forehead hit the overhead panel with a loud thud and he staggered back, but wasn't dissuaded . Geiza's mane lashed wildly about as he threw himself again. Thud. And again. Thud. And again. Thud.

The murderous biscuit splotched on a screen and Geiza went to his knees. Warmth cascaded down his face. He swiped instinctively at his eyes. Blood.

He hit the ground before his hands assessed damage. Thud. Yet another knock on the head. That was the seventh, by his count. He'd always been good with numbers.

Someone tugged at his hair; flicked his forehead. Intense heat licked right under his greasy hairline. Someone tugged once more.

Someone... Someone! The urgency of that reality took a regained breath to reach Geiza. Eyes shot open. Still lying supine, he twisted his neck to look. Loosened brain smashed against skull in all conceivable angles. He let out a constricted whine. When the sparkling pain gave way to clear sight, he sat up. Bile flooded his mouth. He spit it out and lay down again.

Geiza's voice dripped down the corners of his mouth. Small drops. Barely any ripples in the air. "Anyone there?"

That wasn't his voice, was it? He tried again, louder, creaking like stressed wood about to split.

"Please. Anyone?" The question this time around had more to do with hearing his own voice than to probe for company. He waited. It had a familiar ring to it, the voice. Also the silence.

He sat up and steadied himself with palms pressed firmly on the floor. Bending waist, neck rigid, he looked around once more to stomp on the remaining curiosity, already dwindled to the status of a pesky mental flea. He saw nothing for his troubles. Splat.

The captain's fingers missed his forehead and poked his nose, where they lingered, momentarily distracted. He tried again and waved air by his ear. Third time his index finger caught a long strand of hair, followed it to the root, and made it to the swelling. He prodded carefully, wincing every second of the examination. Fingers came out dry—blood was caked.

How long had he been unconscious? He realized what a silly question that was when he remembered time wasn't his concern anymore. Then he remembered that health wasn't his concern either, and dropped the inspection altogether. Instead, he took time he didn't care for to rebuild the nest of trash, which he very much did care for.

Boxes and bottles had skidded and rolled across the room. Geiza collected and arranged them once more, lining them up near the bundle of blankets in a protective semi-circle hugging the wall. He could admit he was dirty, but never untidy.

Captain Toth sat opposite his nest, back pressed against the shut door of the navigation room—once heard one shouldn't go to sleep after head trauma. The ship's framework still echoed tremors from time to time, but intervals grew and utter stillness came back to rule the place after its brief exile. Geiza was the skipper, but this was not his ship. It belonged to the lull of space—had from the moment he'd laid foot inside. Eyes wandered, taking in the insignificant expanse of his miserable borrowed kingdom.

He tallied resources: eight small food containers, four water bottles, three cookie boxes, two blankets; one person. Seven million minus six million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine. 1. He'd always been good with numbers, if nothing else.

I didn't get past "half a biscuit".
<<slouched wobble>> Yikes
>>glow raking <<a glow that rakes??
<<After a short struggle with inert fingers, the gizmo fell out of his hand.>>Hm,sounds awkward,to say the least.So the gizmo struggles?
>>Boxes of a material not unlike plastic made up most of the nest that surrounded him. Other construction materials included left-over scraps not unlike edible food, a few bottles nearly empty of something not unlike water, and dirty blankets not unlike cotton. Not unlike, but not quite the same.<<
That's a lot of unlike
It looks a lot like you are going for style and mood here,while forgetting the narrative
Just personal opinion,but the style feels cramped, unnatural.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!!!!!

So, wow, "slouched wobble" got a "Yikes!" rating :D. I don't get why it's so awful. It depicts in vivid image and in only two words what the guy looks like at the moment. He's slouched and wobbling, and I don't think there's any ambiguity there, as a "wobble" can't "slouch". If others agree it is indeed "yikes", I'll consider changing it, but for now, I'm on the fence on this one.

I think I agree with you on the "gizmo falling out of hand" bit. But after so many re-edits, I can't judge it clearly anymore.

That's a lot of unlike
Done on purpose. The tone I'm going for here is not 100% serious.
It looks a lot like you are going for style and mood here,while forgetting the narrative
Just personal opinion,but the style feels cramped, unnatural.
You might have a point, the action could feel secondary here, as the character's circumstances are extraordinary and need to be addressed at the very start of the story. Could you expand on the "missing narrative" part though? It might not be an explosive first chapter, but something does happen. Something that will be explored in future chapters, so it's not a stand-alone type of action. About the style, yes, I'm still trying to smooth it out. Will keep on it.

<<The tone I'm going for here is not 100% serious.>>Hm,you could have fooled me:rolleyes::D
<<About the style, yes, I'm still trying to smooth it out.>> You HAVE to.As it is,this one's style is a a hindrance rather than a help .
But don't worry,you'll have chance to critique some of my stuff,wreak havoc on my psyche:cool::p:p
Sketch in some background on this one.What's the point you're story is trying to make?

<<The tone I'm going for here is not 100% serious.>>Hm,you could have fooled me:rolleyes::D
Oooowww, I'll have to up my game then. I'm going for mostly gritty and darkish, with incursions into the light of humour, or quirkiness. Make it sillier maybe? :D

But don't worry,you'll have chance to critique some of my stuff,wreak havoc on my psyche:cool::p:p
Hmmmm sweet revenge. Mwahaha jk.

1,300 words and not much really happened. To be fair I can see where you’re trying to take this, your Captain having been alone in space for some time and possible half mad by now. Yet this juddering of the spacecraft and fall in space are not investigated by your character at all, he simply goes back to doing nothing. And here’s where I make my point – you’re asking your reader to read a large section of nothing. And nothing is boring; no matter how well you try to describe it.

The narrative was ok with some good use of description, but that’s all it ever was. There were 1,300 words of narrative with no break and a very passive character. You won’t be surprised to hear me say you need to vary your writing and be more concise and to the point. Focus on getting closer to your character and have emotions coming to the fore over description. Most importantly however, something has to happen that drives your plot forward or there is nothing to engage the reader. It was far too long and monotone in feel, because there was no urgency or variation to your narrative style. From what I have seen I think you show promise (hard to judge as it was a continuous narrative with no style change) but you need to be more critical of what you write and challenge yourself on what you produce. Is this entertaining? Will this engage a reader? Is this the best I can do? Currently, I think the answer to all three is no. Lots of work ahead if you’re up to it and a focus on reader engagement will have to be key going forward.

Anyway, only what I think.

You're right about the character being too passive. It's one of the problems I'm struggling with, given the strict delimitations I've given the situation (one small room with control panels he doesn't understand, heavily-set depression, and not much else). I was hoping this first bit would go down easy, as things pick up from chapter 2 onward, but you have a fair point. Exploring the emotions will also be a big part of the narrative, but not on the first chapter--self-expression is something he'll build up over the course of the story. To depict his depression and blank-mindedness of the moment, not describing how he feels gives the piece the right detached flavour, because he's not really feeling anything anymore (yes, I know I'm making things more difficult for myself, but this character is like this. It might not work for many readers, but there is a beautiful challenge in trying to portray him despite his "underwhelmingness". I might fail in this endeavour though, but please bear with me).
I'm playing around with the idea of a streamofconsciousness kinda thing. It'd be a good way to portray a bit of madness in his thoughts, without necessarily portraying too much emotion? More action would definitely compensate for not exploring his inner self at first, no? Hmmmm.
Yet this juddering of the spacecraft and fall in space are not investigated by your character at all, he simply goes back to doing nothing.
Hmmm, may be an oversight on my part. But tbh, the Captain doesn't really care. It's been way too long and his initiative has faded, and he's resigned himself to a very sad fate, so him not investigating goes in line with his current psychological state, that being depression and extreme apathy. With time he would end up inquiring as to the reasons of this juddering, but you might be right. It'd be sensible to give him a more active approach at the beginning.
Thank you for taking the time!! Will get on these issues straight away; see what I can cook up.

Last edited:
This is the place to try things out and see if they work or not. I do see what your trying, but I really believe there has to be something happening to pull the reader along. Vary writing/style/tools as well, so the section tone doesn't feel so flat - its like a single note from a musical instrument, or felt to me anyway. I appreciate he is on his own and suffering, so small changes in tone/mood only, but these are important to keep the reader with you. Be concise and keep an eye on plot, there has to be some hint of more to come. And if you repost let me know, I'd like to see how you get on. I have my doubts about your experiment, but I'd be over the moon for ya if you can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Ihe
Just jumping in here, picking up on the points raised about not much happening. I also see the idea behind what you're trying (I've tried similar things myself, but have yet to go back to them with a critical eye:confused:) but what drags us down, as bowler says, is the last of action.
Just thinking out loud here, so you'd have to figure out if it would actually work or not... some investigation into the shuddering and noises etc. is, i think, the right way to go. but if you are intent on keeping the lethargy and apathy of your character you could have him not really care about what he finds, but as long as he is searching for it the reader can be interested. Or even have bouts of lethragy interspersed in the actions. A fluctuating interest on bis lart might be an interesting quirk and Might fit with the darkly humorous tone you're going for.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but I'm rather tired at present:whistle:

It does. A bipolar ambivalence in energy and motivation could definitely work, keeping the mood while adding something to the narrative and the character. I like it. It might get annoying for the reader at times though. Stimulus-deprivation and its many side-effect is not something that readers can easily connect and empathize with, or even understand the MC's behaviour, for that matter. I've composed quite the little conundrum it seems...

Hello Ihe. You said you would like some comments on the pace and the tone of this piece, so I will try to give you some feedback on that.

I picked up early on that you were trying to be humorous. I started to think of the Red Dwarf series and was wondering if you were heading down a similar track in terms of writing style and humour.

At times, though, I was wondering if the graphic details were meant to set a scary/dark/moody/serious tone instead. There's nothing wrong with combining humour with scary/dark/moody, but I think the reader needs to know very early on if the story is meant to be serious or not. I suppose if I was reading this as a book, you would have already been able to set the tone for me with the illustrations on the cover and so on. Reading this as plain text, however, it did take me most of the 1300-odd words to be sure that you were aiming to make me smile/laugh, and that some of the funny bits weren't unintentionally funny.

I'll make a comment on the "slouched wobble" choice of words also: as a female reader, yes, I couldn't help but think Yikes here as well. I'm very well aware that the word "naked" had just preceded this. Look, I'm not saying that using these words together won't work, but you need to be aware of how disturbingly gross they are sounding, and decide whether this is the tone that you are going for. And whatever tone and writing style you are going for, you need to be very consistent throughout these first few paragraphs, so that as a reader I know what sort of a ride I'm in for.

Does enough happen during the opening of the story? Well, yes... and no. There is a lack of something to move the story along, but it's not necessarily a lack of action. I think the writing itself becomes a little bit repetitive. There's a lot of blood and gory stuff, but do we need every single description? A few times I felt as if the point had already been made, that is, I already know by now that this guy is in pretty bad shape. Personally, I think that if you want to dwell on this scene, then you need to vary your writing, provide more new information, or else... move on with the action.

Other than that, I think there are some good moments in this excerpt where you use the English language to your advantage. "His own breath assaulted him", "Some of the LEDs had incurred his wrath and had fizzled out some time ago. Since then he'd been saving the rest for special occasions." This sort of writing works for me, when it is done well, and I quite like the two examples above. But it needs to be done confidently, and some of the other examples in the text need to be polished and rewritten some more.

Hope some of these comments were helpful :) Good luck with your writing.

Definitely helpful. Every new pair of eyes sheds a different light on the story. The truth is, I was going for 75% gritty serious, 25% silly. The situation being what it is, depressing and stifling, I saw it would need some "mood-lighteners" sprinkled here and there, maybe to create a dark-silly flavour, like sweet and sour--not apt for every palate, ofc, and I'm fine with that. It doesn't have to be "humourous", I would settle for pseudo-silly or quirky even. It's a mix you don't see often, which is one of the things that attracted me to try and write this story.
I'm very well aware that the word "naked" had just preceded this. Look, I'm not saying that using these words together won't work, but you need to be aware of how disturbingly gross they are sounding,
Oh my, hadn't really considered that. By "slouched wobble" I was referring only to a wobbly stance with droopy shoulders. Granted it was lazy of me to simply couple the words together, but I didn't think it could be seen as gross. It is a graphic choice of words, specially if the MC is, indeed, naked. Interesting...
Concerning the action and the hook, yes, there are issues to be worked and reworked. Geiza is a very passive subject, even when things do happen, and that won't do for a first chapter.
Thank you for taking the time. You raise good points. This is turning out to be a complicated rework. I have the feeling this project might have to gather a bit of dust before I can tackle it as seriously as it deserves.:D

@ Ihe: Great that I could be of some help. Hope my brutal honesty hasn't discouraged you from continuing to experiment with the style and tone of this piece. I plan on hanging out here at the forum for a few more days, so if you're game to post a tentative rewrite, I'd be happy to read it. I know you said you were planning to give it some dust-gathering time first, but some serious keyboard hacking might be a better way to find your writing groove? Either way, best of luck (y)

Hope my brutal honesty hasn't discouraged you from continuing to experiment with the style and tone of this piece.
Oh, you don't know what brutality is yet. Check other crits in this forum, you'll see what I'm talking about :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back