5.06: Falling Skies - Respite

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
An injured Tom takes refuge with a family and learns about life without war in the process. Meanwhile, Hal and Isabella's relationship blooms as they search for Tom; the 2nd Mass locates an Espheni device; and Maggie makes a decision, with consequences.

More digression, just to uncover an Espheni communications device.

New guy, Marty, is so annoying that Weaver probably wishes he did shoot him last week.

Pretty, selfish thing for Maggie to do. Walking up 30 foot walls has been quite useful in the war so far. I'm sure she could have waited just a few more months with the pins in.

So, one love triangle ends, to be replaced, just in time, with another. :(

"You want to explain to me what the hell you were doing?"
"Not particularly"
Cochise gets all the best lines!

More digression, just to uncover an Espheni communications device.

Pretty, selfish thing for Maggie to do. Walking up 30 foot walls has been quite useful in the war so far. I'm sure she could have waited just a few more months with the pins in.

So, one love triangle ends, to be replaced, just in time, with another. :(
My patience wears thin. How many different sidetracks can a final season take? They shouldn't have promised an all-out push to take back the planet if they planned to save it for the last 5 minutes of the series finale.

Yeah, Maggie really screwed things up by getting her spikes removed. Cochise showed a mysteriously strong interest in going against Anne's decision. Why did Cochise wait to reveal his plug-and-play device for removing the spikes? I didn't buy his "helping a friend" explanation.

At the very least, Maggie should have given Ben a heads-up on her plan. After all, the spikes were his on loan, and he could have gotten them back. He would have liked that. More spikes, more power.

If Maggie's true motive, rather than regain her independence, was to rid herself of her uncontrollable spike-induced attraction to Ben so she could return to Hal, her timing could not have been worse. I'm pretty sure that Maggie picked up on Hal's new love interest in Isabelle when the two women were introduced. Awkward moment.

The whole war-free, blissful life on the farm thing reminded me of the reality-denying residents of The Walking Dead's Alexandria. No matter how many times characters said the farm reminded them of why they were fighting, I really don't think anyone needed a memory refresh.

The Espheni communication hub is another puzzler. If it is all that important, would they have simply put it in a crate in an abandoned distillery without any type of protection? I say, blow the thing up. They don't have time to figure out how to tap into it for gathering intelligence. Weaver nearly got his brain fried with one touch.

Falling Skies has itself become a puzzle. I don't mind putting in the effort to put the pieces together, but I have dwindling confidence that all the whole picture will be there when I'm done.