DISCUSSION -- August 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

Well done, Cascade! I knew immediately it was about Hillsborough, and it's nice to see lots of others got the reference too :)
---

Regarding my story, it's Plato and Aristotle talking about Atlantis. The only real clue was the title, but pretty much as soon as I posted it I realized that the quote wasn't as famous as I thought. My idea was that Plato, being the biggest authority on almost everything in his time, wanted to use this fact too make sure people will remember him forever.*

I actually got the idea for this story after reading an article online about some guys "finally finding Plato's Atlantis somewhere off the coast of South America..." :ROFLMAO:

Gratz Cascade.

As I said before when I saw this challenge I thought oh cr@p. At one point I honestly thought I'd have to miss a month, then had second thoughts.

I did muse upon unusual moments in history like the Marie Celeste, JFK assassination and even Agatha Christie's missing 11 days. I could have written a tale for any of those but they would have been really really stretching it.

So I thought I'd go for some real old history, an area where fact was more stretched. From here came an idea for a dimension that went pop Dark Lord's side but cataclysmic the other side. This was ideal for the Chicxulub asteroid impact and the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary (thanks wikipedia). The authority part was that the Dark Lord knew what was going to happen to the other dimensions planet, had the power to order it done and all without a second thought... apart from being upset other a lack of an audience.

I did muse upon unusual moments in history like the Marie Celeste
That was my original intention, but then I discovered that the Marie Celeste was already fictional, as it's the name Conan Doyle gave to the Mary Celeste in his fictional treatment of the incident. I thought that as the version of the story that most of us know is already highly fictionalised -- which may also be true of (some or all of) the accounts of those involved at the time -- trying to come up with a new (and non-SFF) fiction, and in only 75 words, was asking to much of myself.

Congratulations, Cascade! A very nice story, and you were destined to win one of these from your very first entry (I think I voted for that first story!:)). And well fought, Phyrebrat! Loved your entry.

Thank you kindly to all who found my story worthy of a listing...or a vote! :)

It may have seemed that there was no nod to the theme of authority in my story. The authority though was referenced first in the title: the white citizens of the United States in the mid 19th century used the authority of a belief system commonly known as the doctrine of Manifest Destiny to justify their goals of expanding throughout the continent, from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific. As history has shown, they pretty much destroyed everything from coast to coast, including the nations of the native inhabitants of the continent (including folks such as this story's Coyote Brother--though I made up that name for the story; the time setting for the story was the latish 1400s, before the first white settlers arrived). I also referenced in several lines, and hopefully successfully skewered, the song American the Beautiful, and the revisionism of its version of the establishment, and history of the United States. So, that's my story! :)

Congrats Cacade! Well done dude

Thanks so much to @LittleStar and @Moonbat for voting for me! And to all the mentions and listings. I wasn't expecting much so I am truly thankful.

These historical fiction ones are tough for me so I went with a cheat I guess using the legend of the sword in the stone, but I wanted everyone to understand it.

I think mine is (exceptionally, for me) relatively easy to understand, despite my determination to write in verse; Ghengis is generally remembered for his military exploits, and deservedly so, but he and his offspring were responsible for a unified legal system over practically the entire Eurasian continet, with just the Christians squabbling away on the western boundaries, the Shoguns in the east and a few uninteresting bits (like the Indian subcontinent, but that's hardly part of Eurasia) in the far south, preventing who knows how many wars and invasions. Only his authority could have enforced that, or anything approaching it. Unfortunately I couldn't resist going silly at the end (in rejoicing having reached the end with words to spare), but since it netted me a vote (big hugs, Kerry, and to your daughter) I'm not that ashamed of it.

Congratulations Cascade! What a runaway win!

Well done Cascade and hard luck to Phyrebrat who put in a terrific late sprint.

You see how you ruined everything with your 'must-stop-voting-for-phyrebrat' ethic? :p

Thank you, Victoria for the write up, and particularly Void, Parson and Cat's Cradle for such lovely comments on my piece.

My thanks to the votes from Parson, Cat’s Cradle, Void, johnnyjet, ratsy and Bob Senior :inlove:
and mentions from Juliana (for the very close second ;) ), DG Jones, TitaniumTi, Jo and Kerrybuchanan.

My vote went to the erstwhile Perp, Tim James for a story that just screamed authenticity, had a lovely little circular feel, and written in the most wonderful Middle English. The feat here was not only the tale itself, but the comprehensibility of it. I was truly gobsmacked, and hideously green with envy.

Thanks also to DG Jones for taking the effort to place our tales. You're more or less right, although mine was set in two time periods and two places, one of which was of course London, and 1666.

As soon as I heard about the genre, I had decided to do something on Joan of Arc. I usually let my ideas float around for the first 2 or 3 weeks and then write them. But I also read the stories as they were posted. When Juliana went to the Dark Side and posted her Jeanne D'arc piece - and it being so lovely - I thought I'd have to change it. I wanted to use something Folklore-y and involving bread; On The Great British Bake Off a couple weeks ago they were cooking some regional bread (I think it was Eastern European), and said that if it split, it was a bad omen. Instead of Nostradamus, I wanted to make it more provincial and less Royal, and also kind of settled on The Great Fire of London. Whilst I was researching it, I found it was claimed (and refuted) that Old Mother Shipton from Knaresborough in Harrogate had made some prediction about the Great Fire so it went from there.

Regarding the doggerel: Initially I had just written it as straight prose, but it seemed a bit meh...

When I was a kid I loved The Dark Crystal and had the artwork book by Brian Froud. It had this rhyme in:

When single shines the triple suns,
what was sundered and undone,
shall be whole; the two made one,
By Gelfling hand, or else by none.

It's stuck in my mind and rather than the prediction happening offscreen, I realised I could make most of the narrative in the rhyme, so I extended it to six lines and hoped for the best.

All false modesty/humility aside, I thought my entry was unremarkable so the votes and lovely comments have really, really cheered me.

And thank your lucky stars that Cascade won and not me... I was going to be rather unpopular with a genre choice; one that would have rivaled Chrispenycate's :D

DG Jones - what an excellent month of entries your choice of genre and theme inspired (Although, mate... that theme seemed so simple on the surface but was really difficult to work in). More of these more challenging genre/themes please!

Congratulations to everyone who joined in and again to Cascade.

pH

First of all, congratulations Cascade!

Yours was a difficult read emotionally, a remembrance of an historical event whose scars have not yet fully healed. Yet the story was savage, touching and tasteful.

DG Jones - what an excellent month of entries your choice of genre and theme inspired (Although, mate... that theme seemed so simple on the surface but was really difficult to work in). More of these more challenging genre/themes please!

Thanks Ph - yes, I am rather pleased with the range of stories the genre conjured up. No-one was more flummoxed by my choice than me when I came to write my entry. Like a couple of others (I'm looking at you, Jo :)) I went obscure. But not quite as obscure as your Great British Bake-Off reference - well played, sir!

With respect to mine own ditty, @LittleStar was kinda, sorta right with Richard III: the poem did focus on the murder of the two Princes in the Tower, but from the perspective of Sir James Tyrrell, one of Richard's bannermen and the man who allegedly carried out the foul deed. For those remotely interested, I've attached a full explanation of the poem rather than write it all out so as not to clog up the thread. I hope someone enjoys it!

I was going to be rather unpopular with a genre choice; one that would have rivaled Chrispenycate's
Yes, I've got an idea of the sort of 'orrible thing you'd have come up with. Another reason to thank @Cascade for his great story!

Attachments

• The White Flower of House Tyrrell - DG Jones - Explanation.docx
    51.5 KB · Views: 142
A massive Congratulations, Cascade!!!
Also, thanks to all those who shortlisted me :)

It was at this point that my subconscious punning engine had come into play.

Even when you're not punning, the engine's still running, good sir. ;)

Even though I stupidly didn't manage to vote this month, I've made up my lists. I've also discovered, to my regret, that my vote could indeed have made a difference -- let that be a lesson to all of you (me) who may tend to dilly-dally and lollygag and wishy-wash until it's too late. I checked with Phyrebrat before I started making my lists, because I knew he would be on my shortlist at the very least, to be sure it wouldn't send him off the deep end if it turned out that I would have voted for him, and he graciously said it would not. And we do, indeed, have a fine winner in Cascade, so I won't worry too much about it. :)

I did find quite a lot of stories that I didn't understand at all, due no doubt to my abysmal knowledge of world history, and also a fair number that I didn't feel really hit with either the genre or the theme, but still a great collection of stories.

Luiglin -- So Long and Thanks...
Cascade -- 96
holland -- In a Single Day...
Droflet -- Lawman
TitaniumTi -- Witness
KyleAW -- Untitled
chrispy -- Yurt Licit
Tim James -- Taking the Reins
*Phyrebrat -- Burning Bread*
mosaix -- You Can't Take it With You
Moonbat -- A Chronversation...

Now if anyone sees Phyrebrat up on top of something tall, looking shifty, please do talk him down....

Hi all,

As I type this from the A&E ward of Whipps Cross Hospital, in full traction, I count my blessings for the existence of Chrons :D

TDZ asked me by PM if I would be upset if I had managed to snag her vote and I want to repeat what I said to her, here. <Okay, here he goes again ;) >

For me, at least, the challenges are about honing my skills as a writer, not winning. I don't have a problem coming up with ideas (usually) so the challenges offer a good stage for me to technically improve, experiment and learn from others, and get almost instant feedback on the success of it. It's why I always encourage/press gang others to enter. They've helped me with cross-Atlantic understandings, grammar, sensibilities and taste, and most importantly, I think it's enabled me to write more efficiently and economically. These challenges really demand a high level of engagement in what you're doing, from choosing the most evocative word, to ensuring your punctuation is beyond reproach. I truly believe they're like a fractal iteration of a full length work - even the writing it and letting it marinate in the draw before I post it.

So, after that preamble, I want to say thanks to TDZ for being so sensitive (!!!) and for telling me I'd've had her vote. In fact, to 'lose' to such a great first place is very encouraging. So, congratulations to Cascade again.

pH

Oh, go on now. You didn't say all that. It must be the traction speaking. What kind of drugs are they giving you? :D

Traction??!! :eek: I'm going to assume there is a full explanation of that somewhere else on the board or Facebook, since you apparently have nothing else to do at the moment and must have mentioned it in more detail somewhere, and I'm going to go off and find it rather than demand another explanation here.

Now if anyone sees Phyrebrat up on top of something tall, looking shifty, please do talk him down....

I feel a bit bad. I just got a PM from @Kerrybuchanan asking if I'm okay. The traction was a joke. Possibly not in the best taste and I apologise.

Oh, go on now. You didn't say all that.

Okay, okay, what I actually said was 'I'm all about the aggregate bay-baaaaay' :p

pH

I feel a bit bad. I just got a PM from @Kerrybuchanan asking if I'm okay. The traction was a joke. Possibly not in the best taste and I apologise.

Okay, okay, what I actually said was 'I'm all about the aggregate bay-baaaaay' :p

pH

Oh, that's nothing. A certain Irishman threatened to throw a telly out of the window when it happened to him....

Back