WIP Hopping (WHOPPING) who else is guilty?

Vaz

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Raises both hands (Throw away the key judge)

Seriously I'm very naughty when it comes to this. I have so many ideas bursting to get out and I am constantly writing (which in a way is a good thing) but I need to find some focus and stick to one project instead of diving head first into something new.

So far this week I have started 3 what I believe will be novels. Came up with the idea that all my novels will share the same universe but be stand alone works. completed four shorts and started adapting a short story into a movie script :D

I think I need help for an addiction to writing. Is there such thing as a writers anonymous, or should we start one up for the poor folks like me? :D

Soo... who else is guilty of WIP hopping? :)

Cheers Folks And Ladies - Elliot

Oh yeah. Same addiction and-- I was about to say I'm a Whopper too, but although that might be true of my large frame, it could be seen as offensive to you and any other Whoppers out there.

Instead I'll just agree that there are not enough hours in the day, days in the week, weeks in the year, or years left in my expected lifespan to finish all the writing I really want to do.

Discipline,my friends, discipline. :) I wip hop but I work to the end (where possible, given current writing pressure) before switching. Getting something finished is part of writing - once you've got there with one you'll have a better idea of which ideas will work and be a credible novel.

Sorry I'm not more idealogical about it anymore but for success, writing is graft even more than inspiration. (I think I sound as tired as I am....)

Ummm seven ongoing at the moment. Not including the various shorts, edits and proofings. Oh and I forgot to count the art. Eleven ongoing pieces.

Hangs head and sits on naughty step.

I don't know, really, but it just doesn't seem right with me if I don't have a multitude of fires to tend. Perhaps it a question of trying to better oneself. Or simply working when you have the energy. Or perhaps succumbing to the terror of losing your way, and working even harder when you don't have the energy.
(I once ended up in hospital with a serious viral infection that caused brain swelling, and was serious enough the hospital had called my parents in to receive their final instructions. The only way the staff could keep me quiet enough was to provide me with a pen and pad of paper, where upon I proceeded to enscribe a comedic manga graphic novel.)
Writing is like sports. You must continually practise your form until you've got your game down.
For me it is just easier to keep working. When I am stuck upon a piece, I work it out by switching to a different piece and as Dory says, 'just keep swiming'.

@Mad Alice
Ah that avatar is a picture of your kind nurse. I wondered.

I can really only concentrate on one thing at a time. But if stuck better to do something (but probably not to much TV/Video/Games, I think they are bad for writing.) I might read something unrelated or work on something not writing related and suddenly start at 11pm or 2am, but I try to limit myself to between 8am and Midnight for writing. I might have a few writing projects on the back burner, but need to concentrate on one.

But finishing things is important. I'm getting better at finishing books than Programming or Electronic though.

Reactions: Vaz
Hi,

I have over a hundred novels in various stages of completion at present - in fact that number has been growing lately and it may be over two hundred! But I refuse to plead guilty on the grounds that it may incriminate me!!!

Cheers, Greg.

I'm a serial WIP hopper. I'm trying really hard to concentrate on the 8th rewrite of one story, but I started another one (oops no actually it two others)and keep going back to another.

It's a good thing though, you need to go back to the WIP with fresh eyes, especially on rewrite number x, what could be than a new project to freshen you up?

Great to see some familiar faces in the dock :D wonder if we could get a plea bargain? :)

Yeah I agree it is good to let one WIP breathe and start on another, enabling you to go back with fresh eyes and work the former project out.

But as Jo and a few others have mentioned concentrating on getting to the finish line is of equal importance. And is an important step in a novice writers journey. Possibly even the most important step, actually completing a novel?

I hope to reach this point one day, but for now I suppose ill join Alice on the naughty step :D

I have one book I'm working on, then countless shorts and flash pieces as I go. I don't like to have more than 2 unfinished shorts at a time going on, so I will make sure I finish a project before moving on to the next idea. The shorts all go on as I pick away at the WIP, but it all depends on your goals. I love writing the short stories, and trying to find homes for them is a great part of writing for me. I couldn't imagine trying to write more than one main project at a time though...I don't have that kind of brain.

The most important skill I've developed as a writer is to finish projects. It's like Steve Jobs said... "Real Artists Ship."

So yeah, I have more than one project going at a time. Working on projects is fun. Starting new things is fun. Actually finishing what you start is the most fun. So I do that as much as possible and write down all the other ideas I have. By the time I get around to them, my skills have improved to the point where I can improve the core ideas.

I'm with you! I am constantly starting new projects and hopping back and forth between the ones I have already started. I am trying to focus my efforts a little bit more on what I call my 'priority projects', but usually I just end up going wherever the inspiration takes me!