Dragons in Victorian England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twistedlemon

The American
This is my first few pages of the WIP I starred. I'm very nervous about it, I know it's unique and I'm worry it's too unique. I hope you enjoy I may turn this into my very first novel.

FLAMEPUNK

The sun crept above the horizon, the rooster began his pagan worship to the star. Movement caught his eye, he halted mid crow. The grass beside him shifted.

His prey in the grass stopped, sensing it was being watched. The winged hunter circled around the lizard waiting to strike. He leaned in close, a low growl made the rooster rear up in panic.

The hunter was now hunted.

A large brown shape crawled through the grass, claws scratching the similarly colored dirt. The rooster flapped its wings sprinting towards the barn. Maximus erupted from the grass in pursuit. Feathers erupted in the air as his claws scraped the side of the wing. He rolled from the momentum as the chicken ran further away. Maximus’ scales changed to a light green as he resumed the chase. Sudden stops and erratic turns only decreased the distance between the prey and the reptile. Desperately the bird ran back to where the chase began.

A large barn came into view as the rooster scurried through the opening. The pursuer rounded the corner hissing in excitement. Maximus had just cornered the bird when a long slow whistle shrieked through the barn. The beast looked up guiltily.

“We’ve talked about this.”

Daniel looked down on his pet who flicked a forked tongue nervously. He cradled the monster into his arms, fingernails scratching behind his head. The dragon growled happily as his scales flushed with colors, the cold scales felt smooth on his fingertips. The little beast smelt of fresh cut grass and hay.

He set down the bright green Maximus outside as he scurried away to the house. The troublemaker knew he had a bowl of protein pellets by the back door.

The rooster clucked and cautiously peeked out from the stall. He had made it a few feet when a massive head stretched from the stall and snapped at him. The chicken flapped in terror and darted out of the barn nearly crashing into his savior. The massive head looked towards the dragon breeder and made a deep croaking sound that reminded Daniel of an old man’s laugh.

The Colbyn shook impatiently. Daniel brushed his scales with a metal tipped brush as he saddled the dragon. The largest of the land breeds, Colbyns first came to England a few decades ago from Scotland around 1850. Mostly herbivores, they detested small animals and would not hesitate to stomp them to death, or eat them. The occasional Colbyn had been found to grow fond of chickens and rats. Daniel theorized it was to compensate for diet, lack of calcium perhaps.

The rider and his breeder had exited the barn when a voice called out. “Daniel!”

The Colbyn blew air out angrily knowing that tone meant he was going back. A figure left the house heading toward the dragon and his boy. Bax clawed the ground growing irritated. The voice was within a few feet. Daniel ignored her as he walked the dragon back to his stall.

“Daniel!”

He continued to ignore her until he had the steed inside the stall. No use trying to have a conversation around an antsy Colbyn.

“There’s a parcel for Mom.”

Daniel looked back at his sister, a giant box was in her hands.

His hands shook. “Are you ok?” Daniel stared at the box. Their parents died a month ago visiting colleagues in Europe. An avalanche wiped out the entire town they were staying in. They were still clearing the wreckage for survivors. The funeral was done with empty caskets. The odds of survival were nil according to the locals after three days buried in snow, thirty was set in tombstone. Might as well get the funerals over with.

His sister set the box down on the edge of a stall. “I know it’s been difficult but it’s been equally as hard for me. They were my parents too.” Daniel hung his head, he removed the brindle from Bax’s mouth. He could not even look at her when she spoke. She had mom’s face, a cruel trick of biology.

Meg and Daniel have barely spoke since they passed. They’ve been working the family business, but it wasn’t the same without Mom and Dad. Thaddeus and Jessa McFar were some of the most renowned dragon breeders in the world. They have raised and trained hundreds of breeds from the common riders to even their exotic distant cousin the giant sea turtles the Rahabs.

The silence held for another minute.

“Open it.”

Meg’s eyebrow rose. It was the first time in days she heard him say anything. Usually an extrovert, her brother withdrew into his own little world of the dragons after they were orphaned.

The string fell to the ground as she unfurled the brown crinkled paper. She opened the lid hesitantly. Meg stared into it unmoving. Daniel’s curiosity took control. He reached in and pulled out the contents. The object was large, round and warm, he knew immediately what it was.

The sunlight shone on the dragon egg, something struck him as odd. The egg was a light brown with red swirls, most dragon eggs were plain white.

Meg was the first to state the obvious. “What kind of dragon is that?” Daniel held up the egg to the sunlight and squinted. A small quivering head moved in the shelled prison. “I’m more curious as to who sent it.”

I don't think you need to worry about the degree of uniqueness.
Do people generally know that people are breeding and keeping Dragons?

(c.f. Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, translated from German to English by Anthea Bell).

There are few little mistakes, but I'll go, I hear the claws of the proper Critters unsheathing!
I'm hooked though.

EDIT
I presume you meant Victorian England, roughly 1837 - 1901

Not sure what the weight limit on postal packets was then, was 1 pound in 17th C, The postal service existed long before the first stamp in 1835 (or was that just when they reformed P.O.?).

Last edited:
It's a world where dragons are the main soircetransport and production. I.e Colbyn is dragon version of a Clydesdale.

An alternate Victorian England.
C.f. Joan Aiken
Wolves, Channel Tunnel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Aiken#Wolves_Chronicles
The Wolves Chronicles, a series of books set during the fictional 19th century reign of King James III. A large number of wolves have migrated from the bitter cold of Europe and Russia into Britain via a new "channel tunnel", and terrorise the inhabitants in their continuing hunting.
Wonderful stuff. She omits any mention of Dragons though. But then Queen Victoria isn't Queen either.

Temeraire by Naomi Novik has dragons in the Napoleonic war, around 1812 or so, so I think you're fine there.

They're Americans living in England. And historical events are similar I.e fall of Rome just diffrent. For instance the Norse and barbarians raided with fire breathers that burnt Rome to the ground. No flyers, all of the dragons are based on therapsids (mammal like reptiles). This is a what if man tamed dragons instead of wolves and horses. If it's popular I'll turn it into novel.

Interesting. Could use some editing. I noticed a few mistakes and sentences that sounded a bit awkward. For example "Daniel hung his head, he removed the brindle from Bax’s mouth." It would have sounded more natural as "Daniel hung his head. He removed the brindle from Bax’s mouth." or "Daniel hung his head, as he removed the brindle from Bax’s mouth." or something like that. There were a few sentences such as this, built of two parts that just asked to be separated or recombined in some other way. (Another example "Daniel looked back at his sister, a giant box was in her hands.")
One more thing - "Maximus erupted from the grass in pursuit. Feathers erupted in the..." - the word 'erupted' was used in two subsequent sentences..
Anyway, just my opinion.
I'm sure with some polishing this piece has potential!

Who is Bax?

Fine premise. Nice hooky start. You have a few bumps to smooth over, but its a good piece.

Temeraire also immediately came to mind for me. Not quite the Victorian period but 19th century nevertheless. The dragons are used in combat in the Napoleonic wars. So I don't think that dragons in a setting a little bit later would put readers off. Why would it? And while I don't remember any stories with dragons in Victorian England I wouldn't by any means be surprised to find out that there already are.

In Havemercy, by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett (and its sequels) it's not set in our world, but the parts in Volstovic seem more Victorian period than anything else. The dragons there are sentient machines, also used in warfare.

So the concept of dragons/Victorian does not strike me as as that unusual that you need to worry about it. If Flamepunk were a genre, then it already exists.

The only problem I see is that if the dragons in your era are simply used for transport readers might be less interested. Domesticated dragons seem like something out of a children's book. But like every other idea, it would largely depend on how well you wrote the story and how you executed the idea. You might do such a good job that readers would love it. It's impossible to say from a short excerpt.

As it is right now, what you show us is a little flowery at the beginning—the "pagan worship to the sun" doesn't match the style of the rest — and a little info-dumpy as it goes on. I am assuming that brindle is a typo, since the right word for part of a harness would be bridle. Brindle means something else entirely.

Temeraire also immediately came to mind for me. Not quite the Victorian period but 19th century nevertheless. The dragons are used in combat in the Napoleonic wars. So I don't think that dragons in a setting a little bit later would put readers off. Why would it? And while I don't remember any stories with dragons in Victorian England I wouldn't by any means be surprised to find out that there already are.

In Havemercy, by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett (and its sequels) it's not set in our world, but the parts in Volstovic seem more Victorian period than anything else. The dragons there are sentient machines, also used in warfare.

So the concept of dragons/Victorian does not strike me as as that unusual that you need to worry about it. If Flamepunk were a genre, then it already exists.

The only problem I see is that if the dragons in your era are simply used for transport readers might be less interested. Domesticated dragons seem like something out of a children's book. But like every other idea, it would largely depend on how well you wrote the story and how you executed the idea. You might do such a good job that readers would love it. It's impossible to say from a short excerpt.

As it is right now, what you show us is a little flowery at the beginning—the "pagan worship to the sun" doesn't match the style of the rest — and a little info-dumpy as it goes on. I am assuming that brindle is a typo, since the right word for part of a harness would be bridle. Brindle means something else entirely.

Oh it won't be just domesticated dragons for very long Teresa. I had a lot more of warfare with dragons and their effect on combat but that section would push it over 2000 words and I didn't want to break the rules of going over 1,200 words. I see you caught what I did with the play on words of steampunk into flamepunk :). I didn't now how to introduce it without being info dumpy because I tried to lay down a foundation for an alternate history with dragons. Maybe over a longer piece I could lay it in lighter.

And Jackie, I edited as I posted so I must have missed those, thanks! And Alice, Bax is the Colbyn dragon I can fix that explanatory bump.

I think you have the germ of a very good story there which I'd love to read, when it's finished. What is there not to love about in a world where dragons are an everyday sight?

It does need a lot of polishing. There is a bit of head-hopping, some tenses that need cleaning up, a bit of repetition and some info dumping, but all these can be fixed. The more you write, the more you will learn, and I have no doubt @Brian Turner will turn up soon enough with his link to some great self-help books to get you speeded up on that learning curve.

If you're really lucky, @chrispenycate will pop up too, with an instant lesson in grammar and punctuation, tailored especially for you. He's worth his weight in gold (how much do you weigh, Chrispy?). If I'm really unlucky, he'll begin with my post, showing you what comma splices are, etc!

One thing I have to say though is that the brindle, as Teresa said, would perhaps be a bridle - if you intended to use the word, maybe consider changing it to something less like the non-fantasy equivalent. If you did mean bridle, then it's still not quite right then either, because the part of the bridle (and it's really a separate thing anyway) that goes in the mouth is called the bit. It's metal, clipped or buckled onto the leather bridle. It might be better to say "removed the bridle from Bax's head" for clarity.

Sorry, but where Chrispy is the Grammar Guru I'm the Horsey Nitpicker. ;)

My main concern is if anyone would read it, I'll spend days editing If I need to. And yes bridle got spellchecked into brindle xD.

It will likely be more than days! I don't just mean you when I say that - I was thinking of myself.

The main thing is to keep on writing it, because it can't be a book (or even a short story) until it's complete, but also because the more you write the better you get to know your characters, the more you refine your plot and the better your writing becomes. Oh, and because writing is fun too: never lose sight of that.

I suppose you could have brindled dragons; now that would be cool.

Maybe the Duke of Wellington's boots were made from dragonscale?

Good piece though! A few too any grammatical errors to be ignored but there are plenty to of peeps on the boards who will help set you straight on that topic.

I've published a short story before, so I appreciate the challenge of the marathon of a novel.

I suppose you could have brindled dragons; now that would be cool.

Maybe the Duke of Wellington's boots were made from dragonscale?

Good piece though! A few too any grammatical errors to be ignored but there are plenty to of peeps on the boards who will help set you straight on that topic.

Dragonscale will be used for several aesthetic and practical purposes.

The sun crept above the horizon, the rooster began his pagan worship to the star. Movement caught his eye, he halted mid crow. The grass beside him shifted.

His prey in the grass stopped, sensing it was being watched. (Now we're in the dragon's POV, where we were in the rooster's above.) The winged hunter circled around the lizard waiting to strike.(Is the lizard waiting to strike, or is the rooster waiting to strike the lizard? If the rooster is waiting, you want a comma -- lizard, waiting) He leaned in close, a low growl made the rooster rear up in panic.

The hunter was now hunted.

A largecomma brown shape crawled through the grass, claws scratching the similarlyhyphencolored dirt.(Though it may not be strictly necessary to mention that the dirt is brown.) The rooster flapped its wingscomma sprinting towards the barn. Maximus erupted from the grass in pursuit. Feathers erupted(second erupted in two sentences) in the air as his claws scraped the side of the wing.(whose claws, whose wing?) He rolled from the momentum as the chicken ran further(actual measurements are generally "farther"; "further" is for metaphorical distances) away. Maximus’ scales changed to a light green as he resumed the chase. Sudden stops and erratic turns only decreased the distance between the prey and the reptile. Desperatelycomma the bird ran back to where the chase beganhad begun.

A large barn came into view as the rooster scurried through the opening.(He could only see the barn as he entered it?) The pursuer rounded the corner hissing in excitement. Maximus had just cornered the bird when a longcomma slow whistle shrieked(a whistle that shrieks?) through the barn. The beast looked up guiltily.(Last two paragraphs have been omniscient POV, but this sentence is possibly in POV of the next character, or the dragon's.)

“We’ve talked about this.”

Daniel looked down on his petcomma who flicked a forked tongue nervously. He cradled the monster into his arms, fingernails scratching behind his head. The dragon growled happily as his scales flushed with colors, the cold scales felt smooth on his fingertips. The little beast smelt of freshhyphen (or freshly cut)cut grass and hay.

He set down the bright green Maximus outside as he scurried away to the house. The troublemaker knew he had a bowl of protein pellets by the back door.(Do you mean the dragon scurried away to the house for the pellets? This says Daniel scurried away to the house after setting down the dragon. And this is in Daniel's POV, I believe, as he's the one who is thinking that the dragon knew the pellets were there.)

The rooster clucked and cautiously peeked out from the stall. He had made it a few feet when a massive head stretched from the stall and snapped at him. The chicken flapped in terror and darted out of the barncomma nearly crashing into his savior. The massive head looked towards the dragon breeder and made a deep croaking sound that reminded Daniel of an old man’s laugh.(Daniel is outside, based on his setting the dragon down outside and the fact that the rooster nearly crashed into him outside the barn, so I think we're back into omniscient POV again)

The Colbyn shook impatiently. Daniel brushed his scales with a metalhyphentipped brush as he saddled the dragon.(But the Colbyn is in the stall in the barn, and Daniel is outside. And I don't see him brushing and saddling at the same time.) The largest of the land breeds, Colbyns first came to England a few decades ago from Scotland around 1850. Mostly herbivores, they detested small animals and would not hesitate to stomp them to death, or eat them. The occasional Colbyn had been found to grow fond of chickens and rats. (Info dump)Daniel theorized it was to compensate for diet, lack of calcium perhaps.

The rider and his breeder had exited the barn when a voice called outcomma. “Daniel!”

The Colbyn blew air out angrilycomma knowing that tone meant he was going back. (Colbyn's POV)A figure left the housecomma heading toward the dragon and his boy. Bax (this is the Colbyn's name?)clawed the groundcomma growing irritated. The voice was within a few feet. (It's just a voice? He knows who it is --presumably even if you want to be in the Colbyn's POV, it would know who she is. And it can see her.)Daniel ignored her as he walked the dragon back to his stall.

“Daniel!”

He continued to ignore her until he had the steed inside the stall. No use trying to have a conversation around an antsy Colbyn.(Daniel's POV)

“There’s a parcel for Mom.”(He's in England, so this is Mum or Mother.)

Daniel looked back at his sister, a giant box was in her hands.

His hands shook. “Are you ok?” Daniel stared at the box. Their parents died a month ago visiting colleagues in Europe.(If he's in England, I don't think he would say "in Europe".) An avalanche wiped out the entire town they were staying in. They were still clearing the wreckage for survivors. The funeral was done with empty caskets. The odds of survival were nil according to the locals after three days buried in snow, thirty was set in tombstone. Might as well get the funerals over with.(Info dump)

His sister set the box down on the edge of a stall. “I know it’s been difficult(for you,) but it’s been equally as hard for me. They were my parentscomma too.” Daniel hung his head as he removed the brindle bit from Bax’s mouth. He could not even look at her when she spoke. She had mom’s face, a cruel trick of biology.

Meg and Daniel have barely spoke since they passed. They’ve been working the family business, but it wasn’t the same without Mom and Dad. Thaddeus and Jessa McFar were some of the most renowned dragon breeders in the world. They have raised and trained hundreds of breeds from the common riders to even their exotic distant cousin the giant sea turtles the Rahabs.(Info dump, and his sister's name is Meg?)

The silence held for another minute.

“Open it.”

Meg’s eyebrow rose. It was the first time in days she had heard him say anything. Usually an extrovert, her brother had withdrawnwithdrew into his own little world of the dragons after they were orphaned.(Meg's POV)

The string fell to the ground as she unfurled the browncomma crinkled paper. She opened the lid hesitantly. Meg stared into it unmoving.(Meg opened the lid hesitantly, and stared into the box, unmoving.) Daniel’s curiosity took control. He reached in and pulled out the contents. The object was large, round and warm, he knew immediately what it was.(Daniel's POV)

The sunlight shone on the dragon egg, something struck him as odd. The egg was a light brown with red swirls, most dragon eggs were plain white.

Meg was the first to state the obvious. “What kind of dragon is that?”

(New paragraph here)Daniel held up the egg to the sunlight and squinted. A smallcomma quivering head moved in the shelled prison. “I’m more curious as to who sent it.”

These are called "comma splices". They are two sentences welded together by a comma. What you want is a semi-colon, colon, em-dash, or period, or possibly an extra word or two, depending on the two sentences and how they relate to each other. So, for instance, just above: "The object was large, round and warm; he knew immediately what it was." And "The egg was a light brown with red swirls; most dragon eggs were plain white." But "As the sunlight shone on the dragon egg, something struck him as odd."

I didn't do any markups in the info dump bits, as they would need to go anyway. :) Just a first pass through, to give you an idea.

These are called "comma splices". They are two sentences welded together by a comma. What you want is a semi-colon, colon, em-dash, or period, or possibly an extra word or two, depending on the two sentences and how they relate to each other. So, for instance, just above: "The object was large, round and warm; he knew immediately what it was." And "The egg was a light brown with red swirls; most dragon eggs were plain white." But "As the sunlight shone on the dragon egg, something struck him as odd."

I didn't do any markups in the info dump bits, as they would need to go anyway. :) Just a first pass through, to give you an idea.

I appreciate that you did it with pretty colors :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back