Wilbur Smith's Ancient Egypt novels

Started River God a couple times and didn't get past about page 20. Can't put my finger on it, but something about the voice rang false. If you're looking for something along those lines, I can recommend Pauline Gedge's Lords of Two Lands series. The first book is the Hippopotamus Marsh.

I also tried River God a number of times and could not get into it. It just did not feel right. At the time I was reading just about any type of HF, 2 or 3 books a week, and this was one of the few I never finished.

I loved these books. He also writes in the present time with people trying to break into tombs made by the characters from ancient Egypt time. They are well worth reading and persevering with. There's ups and downs so the tales have interesting plots, with other nations conquering Egypt and putting them on the back foot.

I`ve read the whole series Brian and absolutely loved it. I realise that this thread is getting a bit long in the tooth now and hopefully you did add it to your list, but if you haven`t, I recommend it highly. The series in chronological order is: River God (1994), The Seventh Scroll (1995), Warlock (2001), The Quest (2007), and Desert God (2014). He`s also done two other series chronicling the Courtney and Ballantyne families on the African Continent and beyond. IMHO Smith is a master storyteller and I`d read anything he wrote.